One cop's gunfight turns into a punch line on 'Saturday Night Live'

One cop's gunfight turns into a punch line on 'Saturday Night Live'

This is a discussion on One cop's gunfight turns into a punch line on 'Saturday Night Live' within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For Officer David Blake of the Longmont (Colo.) Police Department, the events of May 8, 2010 were no laughing matter. A joke delivered recently on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One cop's gunfight turns into a punch line on 'Saturday Night Live'

Exclamation One cop's gunfight turns into a punch line on 'Saturday Night Live'

For Officer David Blake of the Longmont (Colo.) Police Department, the events of May 8, 2010 were no laughing matter.

A joke delivered recently on “Saturday Night Live’s Weekend Update with Seth Meyer,” was based on an actual police gunfight. Weekend update is a tongue in cheek delivery of news and current events, and during the broadcast on October 2, 2010, Meyers closed with this:

“A man in Colorado was arrested after he wounded a police officer by shooting him in the arm, because he thought the cop was a zombie. Though in the man’s defense, the cop did say, ‘Drop your gun and put your hands above your delicious brains’.

Whether this attempt at humor makes a person laugh, roll their eyes, or become outraged is up to the individual, but here is the true story behind the punch line.

May 8, 2010
    The Officer involved is David Blake of the Longmont (Colo.) Police Department. Blake is a respected veteran of the police department, whose decorations include nine letters of commendation and a Distinguished Service Medal for actions taken when facing a suspect carrying a 45 caliber hand gun in 2009.

While on patrol on May 8th of this year, Officer Blake spotted Brandon Duke, who he recognized as being wanted on an outstanding warrant for third degree assault. At 0805 hours Blake made contact and Duke fled on foot. After a brief flight he stopped and appeared to comply. Duke took the headphones from an MP3 player out of his ears and got down on his knees as ordered. He asked why he was being stopped.

After a few moments of feigned compliance Duke got up and bolted, reaching for something in his waist band. Blake fired his TASER, but Duke had outrun the reach of the X-26 and the probes missed their mark. While Officer Blake was still armed with the TASER, Duke suddenly produced a .380 Kel-Tec semi-automatic handgun and fired it repeatedly at Blake, but missed.

Blake said the moment the gun was produced and he was being fired at was, “Surreal. You never really think it’s going to happen to you.”
    More:
    http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=21969
    Last edited by rocky; October 13th, 2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: quoting whole article, link added
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Blake ought to sue David Letterman.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Blake ought to sue David Letterman.
    Nah, a NY Cop needs to find a way to bust the writers for that bit and loose the paperwork for a day or so. I think a couple of nights in Rikers will make them choose their jokes better.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The SNL crew are a bunch of losers. That's why they're all either dead or in rehab.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I love SNL, and what happened to the first amendment? bust a sketch comedy show for joking?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

The officer did a good job and was lucky things didn't turn out worse.

VIP Member
    I thought it was kinda funny, and I'm certainly not going to advocate fabricating charges against someone because of a slightly tasteless joke. I respect all the amendments, not just the 2nd.

And wait, how could this BG have been shot three times, including IN THE HEAD, by a .45 and still be alive? Everyone knows that a .45 will turn you into a giant pink mist if it even gets close to you, and will knock that pink mist into the next county if it actually DOES hit you.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    I guess I need to start cracking jokes about drug overdoses and alcoholism.

At anyrate, I think I would have gotten a chuckle out of it if I were Blake.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I thought it was funny. Some people just have no sense of humor and take life way too seriously. Shame.

It's amazing how two faced some of you are. Do you ever find humor in life?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    It's amazing how two faced some of you are. Do you ever find humor in life?
    Don't you know? SNL is part of the ebil Librul MSM!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I thought it was kinda funny, and I'm certainly not going to advocate fabricating charges against someone because of a slightly tasteless joke. I respect all the amendments, not just the 2nd.

And wait, how could this BG have been shot three times, including IN THE HEAD, by a .45 and still be alive? Everyone knows that a .45 will turn you into a giant pink mist if it even gets close to you, and will knock that pink mist into the next county if it actually DOES hit you.
    King Arthur: [after Arthur's cut (shot) off both of the Black Knight's arms (with a .45)] Look, you stupid *******. You've got no arms left.
    Black Knight: Yes I have.
    King Arthur: *Look*!
    Black Knight: It's just a flesh wound.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    I can't believe I actually read this entire thread. Oh well, it's a slow day and I guess I'm just bored.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

The good old days SNL rocked with Belushi, Chase and a couple others. The new one blows. I laugh at funny stuff, but not the bad characterization of good folks and made in bad taste.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

What does David Letterman have to do with this story?

If I still watched SNL I propbably would have LOL'd, I'm sure there is no harm to the LEO in the story probably poking more fun at the perp.
    Last edited by joker1; October 13th, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links