Man kills teen for throwing rocks @ his house/car - Kentucky

This is a discussion on Man kills teen for throwing rocks @ his house/car - Kentucky within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hope no one else has already posted this. I did a search and didn't find anything. Man, 62, charged with fatally shooting teen By ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man kills teen for throwing rocks @ his house/car - Kentucky

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

I hope no one else has already posted this. I did a search and didn't find anything.

Man, 62, charged with fatally shooting teen
    By BRETT BARROUQUERE - Associated Press Writer

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Fifteen-year-old Andrew Elliott probably made a "stupid" choice in throwing rocks at a home and car in south Louisville on Saturday night, his grandfather said Monday.

"We all been kids, done stupid things," said Bobby Jarboe Sr., the boy's grandfather.

But family members said the teen didn't deserve to pay with his life.

On Saturday, police say, Elliott was shot and killed as he was running away from a man who confronted him and two other teens after the rock-throwing incident.

Archie Ansley, 62, is charged with murder, tampering with physical evidence and two counts of wanton endangerment, Louisville police said.

Louisville police spokesman Dwight Mitchell said Ashley confronted the teens three times outside his home about the rock throwing before pulling a .22-caliber pistol. As the teens ran from the house, Ashley shot Elliott in the back and killed him, Mitchell said.

"He was found in an alley," Mitchell said.

Ashley is accused of hiding the gun, throwing away the shell casings and trying to hide other live ammunition, Mitchell said. Ashley pleaded not guilty Monday morning to murder and was being held on $500,000 bond at the Louisville jail.

His attorney, Robert Chandler of Louisville, asked a judge Monday morning to order preserved all physical evidence and detectives' notes as the case moves forward.

"What they create in the future, I can deal with that," Chandler said. "They may not maintain them."

Christopher 2X, a spokesman for Elliott's family, said Monday that Ashley should have called the police instead of taking out a gun.

"It is what it is - 62-year-old individuals have a thought process he can go through to assess the situation with juveniles," said 2X, who changed his legal name from Christopher Bryant a few years ago.

Elliott's family wants swift justice. Elliott's step-grandmother, Peggy Jarboe, said the killer deserves a death sentence.

"To shoot a 15-year-old kid in the back? There is no justice for it," Peggy Jarboe said as tears streamed from under her glasses.

Several family members held a press conference Monday afternoon at the spokesman's office. Elliott's mother, Kim Jarboe, did not attend. Family members said Elliott and his friends were on the way to a store when the rock throwing happened. Elliott, a sophomore at Iroquois High School in south Louisville, had $1 in his pocket at the time, said his step-grandfather, Rick Keene.

"He was going to spend it on a Coke," Keene said.

Now, with his death, family and classmates are dealing with the loss of a young man whom Keene described as "very polite."

"He thanked everybody for everything," Peggy Jarboe said.

The principal at Iroquois High, Joey Riddle, said Elliott was a "talented student" in art whom teachers had praised as bright. The school has provided counselors to his classmates, Riddle said.

The boy's grandfather, Bobby Jarboe Sr., wondered about the shooter's motivation.

"A man don't hide behind a garage and shoot a kid," he said.http://www.kentucky.com/2010/10/11/1...-shooting.html

There are consequences to actions. When I was growing up, I remember about being warned about people. Most people would not expect this man to shoot a teen for throwing rocks but at the same time, you never know how people are going to react. With this in mind, if you are messing with someone - don't be surprised if they go off and retaliate in some way. I suspect that these teens assumed the "old" man was in a position to where he couldn't do anything and that there wouldn't be any real consequence for their vandalism/taunting, etc. Why wouldn't they think this? A lot of parents won't put forth the effort of teaching respect because they don't know any better themselves and the schools have their hands tied on what they can do to remediate deviant behavior - not that it's the school's responsibility to raise your kids in the first place. Just note how the article paints the teen as a saint. He never did anything wrong - so what he's throwing rocks at a man's house & car - kids will be kids - no big deal. Now a child is dead and a man will most likely spend the rest of his life in jail. It's a big deal now, isn't it?

Stupid teens and stupid shooter
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    Wow. Just wow.

The shooter deserves to go to jail, IMHO, based on the information presented.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

He should have called the cops. Take pictures, get video surveillance, whatever, then take the kids parents to court for damages. But to shoot a kid (in the back no less), for throwing rocks at your house/car is over the top. What a shame.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    While the shooter does deserve jail time there is one thing that gets me. How is it that a young man described as being "very polite" would throw rocks at a persons car and occupied home? Where I come these are not the actions of a "very polite" young man. Also where can you get a Coca-Cola for $1.00 now a days?

Louisville police spokesman Dwight Mitchell said Ashley confronted the teens three times outside his home about the rock throwing before pulling a .22-caliber pistol. As the teens ran from the house, Ashley shot Elliott in the back and killed him, Mitchell said.
    I think we have plenty of stupid to go around here.
    If you have time to confront them three times before shooting, I would think you also have time to call the police.
    If you are throwing rocks at someone's house and car, and they confront you, I would think you might want to run before the third time.
    If you shoot someone why in the world would you tamper with the evidence? That is not the behavior of someone who feels they were justified doing what they did. It is not going to play well to a jury.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Saw this on the news last night, the shooter better get comfortable in his new home.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Wow. Just wow.

The shooter deserves to go to jail, IMHO, based on the information presented.

Matt

Agreed.

Interesting, isn't it? Within the past week, we've had an older lady who fired her gun at brick-throwing youths who had heaved them both at her and her home. She was lauded as the saint who was justified in her response to those crimes.

This guy, by comparison, is trundled before a judge as the criminal for having done essentially the same thing.

The devil's in the details, though.

A couple of lessons should be clear:

1. It can depend on the size of the rock(s) and the aim. One can absolutely be at risk of loss of life from having such things thrown at them. If you're going to commit such crimes against people, you've got to expect some of them to take it fairly seriously. (Consider cinder blocks tossed from overpasses, versus stones chucked at seniors down the street.)

2. If you've got $1 in your pocket for "a Coke," you'd be better off buying that Coke instead of "investing" in rocks to throw at senior citizens. If your parents taught you nothing else, they should have taught you this much.

3. If you're going to fire on youths for tossing stones at you, you're better off having an iron-clad justification for legitimate fear of loss of your life or sustaining crippling injury if you're going to expect to receive sympathy for shooting people for it. Sympathy might well be forthcoming from the community and the police/DA ... but don't count on it.

Plenty of "stupid" to go around. That's for certain. The hoodlums might well now have enough impetus to straighten up and fly right. They didn't get the clue before, though; who knows if they'll see it now. The senior is about to be shown why calling the police and social services might have been the preferred option to shooting them in the back with a pistol.

One question I have for the parents and classmates of the "saintly" hoods doing this ragging on people in the community: were they all blind to little Johnny's escapades, or merely overly-forgiving?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I guarantee this is not the first time he has told them to stop throwing rocks or whatever at his home/automobile(s). That is all I have to say about that.

Depends on your State Laws,In Texas during the hours of darkness if they were throwing rocks at a house or vehicle,they could get justified.
    Something tells me the little angels probably harrassed this guy and he reacted in a way he knew was a mistake as soon as he pulled the trigger,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Good situational awareness should have spelled out the potential consequences for this shooter. Shooting after the threat had already left is going to mean BIG problems, and in this situation, many years in jail. Pretty dumb IMHO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    It shocks me to say this but maybe he should make a run for Chicago or Texas and sue for political asylum.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

And just like all of the other lowlifes in our society that will not take responsibility for their actions, he tampers with the evidence and pleads not guilty. I can’t stand that, and IMO he needs to rot in jail. Not that calling the police right away and sitting on his lawn until the police get there justifies what he did, it would have at least been the right thing to do after what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by GASPowered View Post
    And just like all of the other lowlifes in our society that will not take responsibility for their actions, he tampers with the evidence and pleads not guilty.
    Absolutely. "Not guilty" of what, I wonder? Brushing his teeth that morning? The mere fact he attempted to hide evidence and then sat down to await what was coming strongly suggests he knew full well what he did, that it was wrong, and that he understood the community wasn't going to accept any self-righteous claims that the kids earned execution for defying him and disrespecting him.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links