BAD: Veteran Faces Criminal Charge for Removing Tattered American Flag From Business

BAD: Veteran Faces Criminal Charge for Removing Tattered American Flag From Business

This is a discussion on BAD: Veteran Faces Criminal Charge for Removing Tattered American Flag From Business within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/14...flag-business/ I'd have done the same thing....

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

I probably would have replaced it instead of just taking it. Talk about disrespectful though, I'm surprised the agent is making a big deal out of it, that's a lot of bad PR. I wouldn't want to be losing potential home buyers and sellers in this economy.

I understand where the veteran is coming from but in the initial reporting it sounds like he might have went in a little on the heavy side.

walking into a business and having a polite discussion with the owner about proper display of our flag and the pride it is a symbol of is not usually described by most as storming, but then you never really know unless you are there. If the business owner declines to remove or replace the flag he does have that right. The veteran fought to preserve that right and even though displaying a tattered flag is disrespectful, especially to the veteran, and rubs most of us on here the wrong way removing it against the business owners wishes is petty larceny. If the veteran thinks taking that charge is worth it then I personally applaud him for standing for his beliefs, but he needs to accept the consequences of those actions.

In my home town the local VFW would replace a damaged flag for free or substantial discount as a service to the community.

I probably would have sought out the owner and discussed the question of a ratty and tattered flag. I doubt I'd have just taken it down, taken it, and left feelings of having "stormed" through the place doing whatever it was I was going to do. While I appreciate his motivations, and I hardly commend the owner for having let it rot to that point, not much good can come from handling things in such a manner, no matter how prickly or bummed the guy felt he was justified in being.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

While I understand the vet's position and have some sympathy for him, I have to stand with the owner on this one.

Actually I even think the owner's reason for flying that flag has some validity.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

While I understand the veterans intentions, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about things; he clearly chose to handle it the wrong way.
    John Luttrell

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    While I understand the vet's position and have some sympathy for him, I have to stand with the owner on this one.

Actually I even think the owner's reason for flying that flag has some validity.
    I agree...
    Common sense did not prevail with anyone in this situation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Title 4, United States Code, Chapter 1
    8. Respect for flag
    No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
    (a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
    (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
    <break>
    Sounds like the business-owner needed an education anyway...I've buried many friends and family who have had the flag on their casket. Disrespect them and their sacrifice by not taking care of the flag, and you will get to know the letter of the law. Heck, I might even "them" a new flag. Flying an unserviceable flag is disrespectful and is NOT a form of protest. It's a sign of ignorance, complacentcy, and laziness.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree...
    Common sense did not prevail with anyone in this situation.
    I agree.....lose/lose all the way around. No winner really.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The business owner is a disgrace to the nation. One of those flag burner types. Did anyone else notice how they switched the names in the last sentence? They got it backwards saying Baldner returned from vacation. Granfield is the business owner that returned from vacation, not Baldner.
    Baldner is the accused. Does Granfield have any video footage of Baldner taking the flag down? Any witnesses? Sure he's got a note, but did Baldner sign his name to it?

This guy Granfield sounds like a piece of ****.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Sounds like ther realtor never grew up. Spiteful little (insert insulting nomenclature here).

Despite that it was apparently his flag. I buy something, it's mine to do with as I please.

I bet the veteran would really be feeling bad if it had sentimental value.

As for the USC flag section, I'm betting there is no enforcement provision or penalty. Can you see a US Attorney trying to prosecute that?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Title 4, United States Code, Chapter 1

8. Respect for flag
    No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
    (a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
    (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
    <break>
    Sounds like the business-owner needed an education anyway...I've buried many friends and family who have had the flag on their casket. Disrespect them and their sacrifice by not taking care of the flag, and you will get to know the letter of the law. Heck, I might even "them" a new flag. Flying an unserviceable flag is disrespectful and is NOT a form of protest. It's a sign of ignorance, complacentcy, and laziness.
    +1

It upsets me that Congress passed the Flag Code, but put no teeth into it for enforcement...this case is a perfect example of someone violating the Code, but there is really nothing a citizen can do about it...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Links