BAD: Another pizza delivery incident (VA)

This is a discussion on BAD: Another pizza delivery incident (VA) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Richmond Times Dispatch Chesterfield County police arrested one person and were seeking two others today after a pizza delivery driver was lured ...

Thread: BAD: Another pizza delivery incident (VA)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

Thumbs down BAD: Another pizza delivery incident (VA)

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond Times Dispatch
    Chesterfield County police arrested one person and were seeking two others today after a pizza delivery driver was lured to a vacant home, where they beat and robbed him before stealing his vehicle.

Lt. A.J. Starke said the driver, struck in the head with an unknown object, was taken to VCU Medical Center for treatment of injuries that were not considered life-threatening after the attack, which occurred about 12:20 a.m. in Ettrick.

The three suspects stole the victim's vehicle and drove off, leading to a brief police pursuit that ended when the three abandoned the vehicle and ran. Starke said one of the three was taken into custody immediately but the two others eluded officers.

The one in custody, whose identity was being withheld this morning because the investigation was continuing, faces multiple charges, including robbery, Starke said.

He said the matter began when a group broke into a vacant house on Truth Drive, which runs just south of River Road in Ettrick.

The group called a pizza joint and ordered a pizza to be delivered to the Truth Drive address, and when the driver arrived, they came outside, assaulted him, forced him inside and stole his cell phone, wallet and the keys to his vehicle, Starke said.

Officers found the stolen vehicle along River Road and tried to stop it, but the suspects drove to Lee Street, where they abandoned the vehicle and ran, Starke said.
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...131-ar-560060/

Firgured I'd share, yet another pizza delivery driver attacked. When will they learn and allow them to carry?

2. Remove Ads

These robbers sound like their just one small step from becoming murderers. If they hit the street again, I'm sure it'll end up that way.

I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't carry if driving a pizza delivery route.

Hard to guard against, unless one only sells product to previous customers, only goes to certain locations, won't go to locations where the phone number can't be confirmed as belonging to that address, etc. I wonder what, if any, such procedures or precautions the pizza joint takes when taking phone orders, or whether they simply take the orders and hope the drivers don't get harmed while delivering.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Must be a bad place to deliver, I know I've seen that newspaper headlining driver horror stories before.....

They'll never learn.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    These robbers sound like their just one small step from becoming murderers. If they hit the street again, I'm sure it'll end up that way.

I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't carry if driving a pizza delivery route.

Hard to guard against, unless one only sells product to previous customers, only goes to certain locations, won't go to locations where the phone number can't be confirmed as belonging to that address, etc. I wonder what, if any, such procedures or precautions the pizza joint takes when taking phone orders, or whether they simply take the orders and hope the drivers don't get harmed while delivering.
    Good point. But alot of folks nowadays don't even have a home phone, my wife only recently (august) got a local area code cell number. Prior to that, she used her old area code phone number, because all her friends/family knew it. At my work, I have to contact customers via phone throughout the day, and its amazingly common to see all kinds of crazy area codes for people that have lived in the area for a long time, just b/c they don't want to change their phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Must be a bad place to deliver, I know I've seen that newspaper headlining driver horror stories before.....

They'll never learn.
    I should have but I didn't put in the original post, is that area is that area is VERY sketchy/bad. Its very crime-ridden, and several of the localities around it are very dangerous as well, so I would imagine that store/its drivers are used to going through "ghetto" areas. Thanks for bringing this up....

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I wonder what, if any, such procedures or precautions the pizza joint takes when taking phone orders, or whether they simply take the orders and hope the drivers don't get harmed while delivering.
    They just do a lot of hoping I guess.
    You should deliver for a while and see how "fun" it is lol.
    Today, my boss sent me on a run to the local high school. Relatively safe place. I wasn't worried about it, but what got me was:
    1) no address, no biggie everybody knows where the high school is....but still he put in "000 school drive" where the addy went
    2) phone number came back changed or disconnected --- now, if I didn't know I was going to the school office I would not have delivered to a disconnected phone number (but they don't teach you that in "training")
    3) the name on the receipt was not the person who ordered, there was no Natalie anywhere in the office.....fortunately the principal knew which teacher ordered, coz by that point (the pies were already paid for) I was about to auction them off to the highest bidder.....
    Basically, my boss sent me out there literally FLYING BLIND if all I had to go on was what he printed on the receipt.
    SOMETIMES the "phone girls" (order takers) get it a little better, but not always.....

Smart drivers take some precautions on their own, by calling customers while en-route, calling custies if the house looks emtpy, not delivering to vacant houses, etc. but they don't teach you stuff like that.

And on a side note, if I'm packin and have to deliver to the school isn't that a bit of a problem? I'm gonna look into that tonight
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Fire, EMS, service workers, delivery drivers, etc. should be exempted from 'gun free zone laws' due to the transient nature of their employment. OK everybody should but let's start somewhere.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links