Two fatally shot at Tennessee post office, police say

This is a discussion on Two fatally shot at Tennessee post office, police say within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/18...ce-say/?hpt=T1 Not a lot of details yet......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two fatally shot at Tennessee post office, police say

We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Guess someone went postal again. Guess we'll see when more details about this come out.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Always sad when someone goes to do a good honest days work and doesn't make it home.

Just to point out the obvious, it is clear that the federal ban on firearms inside buildings where federal employees work, like this post office, did NOTHING to protect anyone. Such bans only serve to inconvenience those of us who actually know and follow the law.

Yahoo implied there was some sort of robbery involved. We'll see how it unfolds. I have seen piles of 20's, 50's, and 100s overflowing from a single cash register a a post office before. Lots of cash from money orders, no drop safe, no (visible?) security, no effort to hide the extra cash. It startled me at what a "appealing" and "soft" target it was.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Globe article
    Two Workers Killed In TN Post Office Shooting

Standing on a street corner within sight of the post office, city resident Emmitt Hennings, a 71-year-old retiree, said it was hard to comprehend what had happened. "I just couldn't believe it, not in this town," Hennings said. "It's too quiet."
    From the perspective of a visiting customer, a post office is little different than any other space that has cash, potential victims and zero effective security. Yet again, we have an example of how foolish and ridiculous it is to call upstanding people criminals in the empty hope that such claims will dissuade an entirely different group of people (violent, armed criminals) from doing what they do.

Recipe for disaster: Disarm all upstanding people; provide zero security; advertise the venue as a fully-disarmed location; let the cash flow from daily operations; then, sit back and hope criminals don't see a good thing when it's offered up on a silver platter.

And people in "official" capacities seem aghast when such incidents of predation on citizens occur.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    A comment I made to a post saying to sum it up "you American's" and your guns. that's what happens.

ME:You must know that criminals break the law because well they don't care. So instead of blaming a mindless, gun that only does what it is told by people. Give the good people the right to protect themselves, fight fire with fire, because in the world of crime, criminals are unaffected by the water, (laws we make).

Remember Guns don't kill people, People kill people. It has been like this since the caveman days when they used rocks. I wonder if the caveman made rules like "no one can carry their rock into the public cave." Then realized that the crazy hungry caveman that come into the cave and hold everyone at 'rock point' for the meat realized, "hey if we all carry rocks, it will be all of the good rock carriers vs. all the bad rock carriers"

And since there are more good rock carriers out there and rocks can be found everywhere, it is to hard to get rid of all the rocks, so lets have the good people be aloud to carry them everywhere, and then the bad people won't be able to take the good people's stuff.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

I think that sometimes there is confusion on statutes/laws. Statutes sometimes intended to enhance penalties for those who break the governments laws, are in no way intended to provide protection for its citizens, as it has no legal duty to do so.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quiet neighborhood, huh? And these people think that makes them safe??
    That's the implication, but in my view it mostly makes them complacent until something happens, then they gripe about their "quiet neighborhood" being unfairly targeted.
    I guess they can just bleat on. That's pretty much what they do anyway.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Always sad when someone goes to do a good honest days work and doesn't make it home.

Just to point out the obvious, it is clear that the federal ban on firearms inside buildings where federal employees work, like this post office, did NOTHING to protect anyone. Such bans only serve to inconvenience those of us who actually know and follow the law.

Yahoo implied there was some sort of robbery involved. We'll see how it unfolds. I have seen piles of 20's, 50's, and 100s overflowing from a single cash register a a post office before. Lots of cash from money orders, no drop safe, no (visible?) security, no effort to hide the extra cash. It startled me at what a "appealing" and "soft" target it was.
    Agreed. I won't be surprised if this catches on in other towns.

"I just couldn't believe it, not in this town," Hennings said. "It's too quiet."

Isn't this what people always say?
    We say, "Any time, any place..."
    Stay armed...stay safe! Too bad the post office is a 'gun-free victim zone'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 ret; that's the first comment by people.

Once again, a gun-free zone is simply a green light for criminals. That; coupled with the common denial mind-set of most people, as ret mentioned, is a recipe for disaster
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    sigh.... postal again???
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I guess they need a bigger "NO GUNS" sign. Or maybe the old one got covered up by a flier for a bake sale. Obviously the BGs weren't effectively warned.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I guess they need a bigger "NO GUNS" sign. Or maybe the old one got covered up by a flier for a bake sale. Obviously the BGs weren't effectively warned.
    BG's might not be able to read, but they can smell roast sheep on a platter from a mile away.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links