Bad Driver? In Debt? Proposed NYC Law Would Ban You From Owning a Gun

This is a discussion on Bad Driver? In Debt? Proposed NYC Law Would Ban You From Owning a Gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is just unreal... New York City residents who want to own a gun may soon be denied permits if they are litterbugs, if they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is just unreal...

New York City residents who want to own a gun may soon be denied permits if they are litterbugs, if they are bad drivers, or if they have fallen behind on a few bills.

Here's the whole story.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Welcome to The big apple...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Why are so many people just sitting back and allowing this to happen?

The voters up there allow this to happen by electing sheep. Heck, I think that the majority of the people who live and vote in NYC, NJ, D.C., and a few other places are sheep. Sheep elect sheep.

Me thinks that they need to designate one large metropolis as "sheep zone" and let ALL the sheep go and live and vote there, and they can deal with their crime rate as best they can. Leave the rest of the country to us Pro-2A folks and watch how we control crime.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I'm no lawyer, but that practice seems unconstitutional big time. If they allow that to happen to their state I'm afraid it wont be long before other states try to enact it as well.

They keep tightening their grip on the public and like cattle the public just moooves on along. I suspect it wont be long before we have some serious work to do to maintain our rights as gun owners.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Gun banners remind me of the saying, "All roads lead to Rome".
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    ... Me thinks that they need to designate one large metropolis as "sheep zone" and let ALL the sheep go and live and vote there, and they can deal with their crime rate as best they can. Leave the rest of the country to us Pro-2A folks and watch how we control crime.
    I thought that was what Washington D.C. was for?

What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
    Walk softly ...

While I understand the concept, failing to pay "just debts" and traffic violations tend to display a character not inclined to follow the laws already established, it does allow the government to intrude upon one's personal life to a degree that is unfathomable.

Biker

VIP Member
    But Jason Post, a spokesman for Mayor Michael Bloomberg's office, said nothing in the proposal gives police a power they don't already have.
    The ruling class must insure we commoners are kept in check by any means possible.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    At risk of introducing politics, a number of people are documenting voter fraud in several locations around the US. (Bring a small, digital camera with you when you go to the polls, the sort that also records sound. There are also a couple of "body wire" type cameras that work well for plain clothes work available pretty cheap.) Record it all, and let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    Why are so many people just sitting back and allowing this to happen?
    Because they are the SAME morons who allowed Bloomberg to change the law to undo the 2-term limit that applied to the office of NYC mayor, thereby granting him a third term. The same term limit that he now supports for his successors.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It's amazing how the Brady Campaign and the Mayors office are down playing this. Sad thing is that most of NYC probably doesn't care or actually believes this BS.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

yup, I guess they're hoping it slides in under the radar and the people won't really know much about it until it's to late. Like someone said, it's attempt to persuade folks to pay their just dues is understandable to a degree, but again, I still don't know how constitutional is is to deny citizens the right to bear arms to defend them selves to acquire the funds...

MrReyonlds post about this a few weeks ago. I atttended the meeting in NYC. I will post more when I get I get a minute.

Here is the flip side.

Everybody sit down. Mayor Bloomberg insisted the city should reduce lic fees
    Mayor Bloomberg insisted yesterday the city should reduce its high gun-licensing and renewal fees to stave off a likely lawsuit, but the City Council continued to express doubts about a bill that would sharply lower those costs.

The mayor, a national voice on curbing gun violence, said his fears come in the wake of the US Supreme Court striking down Chicago's gun ban in June.

He wants to slash the $340 fee for original or renewal applications to between $25 and $110, depending on the type of permit.

"We want to be in compliance with the law as we understand the Chicago decision was made. We don't want to lose the ability to have reasonable controls. If we have controls that the courts have ruled are too onerous or too unfair, we could lose" other gun-regulation measures that are in place, he said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links