BAD; Woman assaulted during morning jog

This is a discussion on BAD; Woman assaulted during morning jog within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; And its such a nice town... http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/crime/w...ex-assault-jog West Hartford, Conn. (WTNH) - A West Hartford woman on her morning jog was sexually assaulted Wednesday morning. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD; Woman assaulted during morning jog

BAD; Woman assaulted during morning jog

And its such a nice town...

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/crime/w...ex-assault-jog

West Hartford, Conn. (WTNH) - A West Hartford woman on her morning jog was sexually assaulted Wednesday morning. The incident has prompted schools in the area to be on alert.

The woman's identity has not been released. Police say she was out on her usual route on Fern Street around 7am when the suspect jumped out of the bushes and raped her. She ran to a nearby house for help and was transported to Hartford Hospital with serious injuries.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

BGs can be anywhere including nice towns and nice areas. No place is absolutely safe anymore.

VIP Member
    Police say she was out on her usual route on Fern Street around 7am
    Another reason to vary ones daily routine, don't make it easy for criminals to target you.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    BGs can be anywhere including nice towns and nice areas. No place is absolutely safe anymore.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Another reason to vary ones daily routine, don't make it easy for criminals to target you.
    The downside is if something DOES happen to you...no one knows where to find u...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Houses are all down both sides of Fern St, it's a heavy traveled 35mph road east/west through W. Hartford.

Not much cover for BG's. The article said "she was out on her usual route" Lesson to be learned, change up times & route.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Always carry!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Any time, any place.

A treadmill would have been cheaper, and it can be used year 'round.
    People like to be seen jogging around, it tends to give them the satisfaction of showing people they are taking care of themselves and staying fit and active.
    I think a little on the chunky side is better than being raped.

Hope she recovers mentally in good fashion.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I run out on the sidewalk because fresh air is better than the stale dusty air inside every home. I also don't have the money or space for even a "compact" treadmill. I couldn't give a crap if anyone "sees" me; I'm running for my health, not my vanity. In fact, I prefer it when people ignore me while I exercise.

I also carry when I go running and I'm aware of the "hidden" spots along my route.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

No excuse not to have even a tdi while running. Then again, most people are oblivious that there are, in fact, bad people in this world that may have the occasional desire to hurt you. A nice 190 lumen LED light comes in handy for dark areas/random dogs/creepy people getting too close.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Distinguished Member
    What is a, "TDI"? A "tactical defensive instrument"? Seriously.

I must've found the defensive acronym course too expensive.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    What is a, "TDI"? A "tactical defensive instrument"? Seriously.
    It is the name of a well known defensive purpose by design KaBar brand mini knife, as designed by a company called Tactical Defense Institute bka 'TDI'.

http://www.tdiohio.com/knife.html
    http://www.tdiohio.com/knifesaves.html
    http://www.facebook.com/TacticalDefenseInstitute
    https://www.kabar.com/product_detail...uctNumber=1480

Image source - http://www.themartialist.com/tdi.htm

The KaBar TDI is very well known in among the combat arms circles and has been for roughly a decade now since it's debut initially oriented toward LEOs.
    If you go to the knife sub-area of this forum and run a search on "TDI" you will find very many hits and individual threads discussing the merits, function and many varying applications of the TDI knife as is now a series.

I personally own three; Small/LEO, Large/Combat and the small variant training (blunt edge) knife.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Without tools, be they material, physical or mental, I fear she had little chance of defense or escape from an ambush.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Without tools, be they material, physical or mental, I fear she had little chance of defense or escape from an ambush.
    Agreed, although I would argue that mindset is the most important of the three you listed. Having the greatest tools in the world will do you little good if you do not have the mindset to actively use them in such an encounter.

Biker

West Hartford, Conn. (WTNH) - A West Hartford woman on her morning jog was sexually assaulted Wednesday morning. The incident has prompted schools in the area to be on alert.
    Strange. One would think modern life itself would keep people aware and alert, everywhere. Muggings, rapes, robberies ... the great equalizer.

Agreed, although I would argue that mindset is the most important of the three you listed. Having the greatest tools in the world will do you little good if you do not have the mindset to actively use them in such an encounter.
    The mind, mindset and utter dedication to survive a situation. The great equalizer.

Each situation is different. Ambush can be bad. Many of us have been there. If quickly wrapped up and overpowered by a much stronger opponent, it's quite possible to be able to do nothing about it. It's against these types of situations I have found a quick-deploying folding knife to be an invaluable defensive tool. On a few prior occasions, it has proved highly convincing ... which was enough to survive the situations. Which is fine by me. I'd prefer the 'tards to be eliminated, but if they merely go away then I have "won."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links