Student Suspended For Using a Toy Gun On School Property During a Weekend

This is a discussion on Student Suspended For Using a Toy Gun On School Property During a Weekend within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OVERLAND PARK, Kansas - An honor roll student is suspended for an entire quarter for using a toy gun on school property during a weekend. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student Suspended For Using a Toy Gun On School Property During a Weekend

OVERLAND PARK, Kansas - An honor roll student is suspended for an entire quarter for using a toy gun on school property during a weekend.

Shawnee Mission School District officials said the punishment fits their zero tolerance weapons policy. However, the student’s mother calls it unfair.

In school, Alyssa earns straight “A’s.” Her achievement certificate is filled with merit stickers. Teachers consider her a star student.

However, last month, on a Sunday, Cornish and several other students were playing with an Airsoft pellet gun on school property. Someone shot a boy in the back. His mother filed a police report, but declined to press charges.

When school administrators found out, everyone involved was punished. However, Cornish claims each received different punishments, depending on how much involvement each student confessed to.

That includes Alyssa, who admitted firing the gun into the air. Her suspension ends in January. Her mom is furious.

“First and foremost is her education,” Cornish said. “She can receive no education for the four-month suspension. We were given no options. So, she has no grades for that four-month period.”

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/new...r-toy-gun-play
    When asked if the fans that ran on the field naked were men or women, Yogi replied "I don't know, they had bags over their heads."

A poor excuse for school leadership and foolish board policy...IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Shawnee Mission School District officials said the punishment fits their zero tolerance weapons policy.
    Zero tolerance over weapons is one thing. Zero ability to distinguish between weapons and everything else, though, is something altogether different. That inability to discern the reality of a threat is what distinguishes such idiots from the rest of us. All so that an honored student can be abused and controlled by the system. Pathetic what some people have become.

Are you a man are a mouse? Man or a mouse?! All too often, these days, the answer from the unthinking wad is ... 'squeeeek'.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No tolerance suits the system, it eliminates intellect and decision making.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    No tolerance suits the system, it eliminates intellect and decision making.
    DING!-DING!-DING!-DING!-DING!-DING! WINNER!!!!

Anyone care to bet that this mom thought "zero tolerance" was a great idea when she first heard about it?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

As a teacher I can tell you this SUCKS!!!! Districts have a "No Tolerance" policy which includes a kindergardener pointing a chicken finger at another and saying "bang" = suspension. School districts are soo scared after Columbine that they just blindly adopt a "No Weapons" policy and stick to it. We had an elementary school shut down after someone found a .45 round (one) after the breakfast. The principal freaked out, called the Sherrif, FBi, etc and evacuated the Cafe until the custodian, a hunter, saw the round and picked it up. The principal thought it would go off. They figured out that the kid was the son of a Trooper and had brought it in to show his friends. Stupid but didn't need to get suspended for it. I've often thought, but never had the balls to suggest that the districts remove the anti gun signs and let certain individuals be "1st responders and armed" to prevent another Columbine. With some police training, freedom from lawsuit, and common sense, we could stop an attack long before the cops arrive.
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    DING!-DING!-DING!-DING!-DING!-DING! WINNER!!!!

Anyone care to bet that this mom thought "zero tolerance" was a great idea when she first heard about it?
    Don't you know it!

I bet it still sounds like a great idea to the parents whose children weren't involved.

Remember, the sheep don't put one and one together and get two when the shepherd thins the flock for food and clothing but the ones getting eaten and skinned sure raise cane.

My kid was nearly suspended in FIRST GRADE for bringing a plastic bullet replica in to school to show his friends. He found it on the floor at my gunsmith's place; my 'smith back then was Bill Kaswer who made "Pin Grabber" specialty ammo, and this was a plastic model of the sawtoothed projectile. The old biddy principal called the cops to school (this was about 10 years before Columbine, so "lockdown" was an unknown concept at the time), then I had to bounce back between the cop house and the principal's office to get things straightened out.

Mind you - no brass case, no power or primer in sight, just a piece of plastic that looked like a bullet. But my boy gave it to his friend whose parents freaked out, they brought it to school the next day to demand the principal "take action"... yadda yadda.

Overall, I'm a big proponent of education, but "educators" like that one give me pause to reconsider at times.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I see the prohibition of weapons as merely an extention of the rejection of the concept of self defense by the educational community.

Quote Originally Posted by kccad View Post
    His mother filed a police report, but declined to press charges.
    So what was the point in filing a police report??...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Because there was no need to. She probably figured that the school would be notified and take action beyond what LE could.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My kid was nearly suspended in FIRST GRADE for bringing a plastic bullet replica in to school to show his friends. He found it on the floor at my gunsmith's place; my 'smith back then was Bill Kaswer who made "Pin Grabber" specialty ammo, and this was a plastic model of the sawtoothed projectile. The old biddy principal called the cops to school (this was about 10 years before Columbine, so "lockdown" was an unknown concept at the time), then I had to bounce back between the cop house and the principal's office to get things straightened out.

Mind you - no brass case, no power or primer in sight, just a piece of plastic that looked like a bullet. But my boy gave it to his friend whose parents freaked out, they brought it to school the next day to demand the principal "take action"... yadda yadda.

Overall, I'm a big proponent of education, but "bureaucrats" like that one give me pause to reconsider at times.
    Here, fixed it for ya, smitty. ;-)
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

GM
    Just ridiculous.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

There have been incidents of kids suspended for minature replicas of weapons, drawn pictures and "t" shirts with pictures of weapons, so it appears that it is not only the weapons themselves that they are against, but the idea and existence of weapons.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    My wife was supposed to have our first child on Sunday, but we are still waiting. I may feel differently after she gets here, but I almost hope something rediculous like this happens with my daughter so that We can make a point and draw some attention to the rediculousness of the politics and brainwashing involved in public schools. Because you better believe I will be making a huge stink and a lot of noise.

Granted, I will also teach my kids to be wary of the antis and aware of the paranoia, so hopefully they won't take even replica weapons onto the ever dreaded and sacred "school property" that has some magical powers to protect kids by being a gun free zone. I will try to help my children to understand that common sense is not actually common, and what is clear and logical doesn't always matter to some people.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links