What on earth happened in Arizona????

This is a discussion on What on earth happened in Arizona???? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Constitutional amendments protecting the right to hunt and fish passed overwhelmingly in Tennessee, Arkansas and South Carolina. A right to bear arms amendment passed by ...

Thread: What on earth happened in Arizona????

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

What on earth happened in Arizona????

Constitutional amendments protecting the right to hunt and fish passed overwhelmingly in Tennessee, Arkansas and South Carolina. A right to bear arms amendment passed by a margin of 9:1 in Kansas. But in Arizona a hunt and fish amendment was defeated! In Arizona of all places. Is this the price paid for being next to Wackifornia?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

2. Remove Ads

Because what that "constitutional right to hunt" did was take control of hunting and fishing and give it to the politicians. Poorly written and poorly worded bill. I for one as a lifelong AZ hunter am glad it was struck down.

How can you sit here and honestly call us the next california when we passed constitutional carry a while back?

Did you even READ the bill?

On the other hand, PETA and HSUS were funding the defeat of Proposition 109, HSUS with $250K.

HSUS, PETA and the other so-called "animal rights" groups managed to nearly kill what little hog production there is in AZ a few years ago with their citizen-initiated proposition (204) which banned certain conventional hog-farming methods. They garnered a strong sympathy vote from the otherwise disinterested voters, and it became law. This year I was concerned that the bunny huggers would stage a repeat performance.

The more I read about Prop 109 and who was for it and who was against it, the more I was in favor of it. I was not concerned that citizen-initiated propositions affecting future game management issues would be prevented. I voted for it, but its defeat simply means "no change" to the existing situation of how fish and game are managed in AZ.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

There is no problem with the current system. I don't care who supported it or opposed it, I actually sat down and read it, and what I saw was the legislature aka politicians would have complete control over hunting and fishing in AZ. What then? politics would affect what I can and can't hunt. yep you have the right to hunt in az but only rabbits and crows in the months of feb and march and it will cost you 500 dollars for a license..... but you still have your right. Once politics and money step in, it is over.

Don't think so? You have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms, go try doing that in NYC, Chicago, or most of California. Strap one on and walk around and see what happens. if it isn't locked up and declared in some strong box you go to jail. That "constitutional right" would start getting whittled down to a watered down hunting and fishing season over time.

The system isn't broke so don't fix it.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Because what that "constitutional right to hunt" did was take control of hunting and fishing and give it to the politicians. Poorly written and poorly worded bill. I for one as a lifelong AZ hunter am glad it was struck down.

How can you sit here and honestly call us the next california when we passed constitutional carry a while back?

Did you even READ the bill?
    I think you better break out your spectacles. Here's what the Yuma Sun said about Prop 109's possible defeat:

"Arizona will be seen as weak with regards to hunting and fishing and it would open the floodgates for animal rights organizations". "Prop 109 would give a constitutional protection to the right to hunt and fish in Arizona and prohibit ballot initiatives to make laws regarding hunting and fishing". A favorite tactic of HSUS.

Wayne Pacelle of the HSUS opposed it as you do and contributed $250,000 toward it's defeat. The NRA suppotrted it's passage.

I'll give you $25 for that hunting rifle you'll no longer need!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

The same NRA who supported Harry Reid? Yeah I can see that coming. I won't be able to hunt because a POORLY worded bill that gives politicians complete control was defeated. I highly doubt it. Open the floodgates. Because they haven't had the chance before this. I love how the media spins things. My spectacles are just fine, so has my hunting experiences in AZ the past 20+ years.

The N.R.A. dropped Reid.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

When they fix the wording of the bill and don't give politicians carte blanche on controlling hunting in this state, maybe I will vote for it. Otherwise, things are great the way they are. I can hunt and fish year round a lot less restrictive than most other states.

Tennessee, Arkansas and South Carolina all have more restrictive gun laws than AZ so comparing AZ to CA is ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Wayne Pacelle of the HSUS opposed it as you do and contributed $250,000 toward it's defeat.
    A minor point. Be aware that the HSUS is NOT the Humane Society that we know and love.
    HSUS is a fundraiser and I don't think they even have a shelter. If you stay in a hotel, you'll be flooded with TV ads. "Send us money." and pictures of baby seals. What? I'm supposed to go to the shelter and adopt a seal?
    If you want to donate to the Humane Society (and I do) go to your local one.

[/rant]

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    He said, "Is this the price paid for being next to Wackifornia?" not that Arizona was the next California. When I left Arizona a couple of months ago, it was still just one state away from California....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    He said, "Is this the price paid for being next to Wackifornia?" not that Arizona was the next California. When I left Arizona a couple of months ago, it was still just one state away from California....
    Yet 95% of the items in my safe are a felony less than an hour away, I cant drive my AZ street legal UTV on CA streets less than an hour away. Most of the CA residents I meet out here are pro gun and pro outdoors.

TOF
    109 lost because there were no ads for it. Everything the general public knew about it was the lies put on TV by those that want us to eat grass rather than beef , chicken or (your favorite meat goes here).

We will just have to try again.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

The travesty is that citizen initiated propositions, with regards to game management, can be voted on and passed in to law. This is how the citizens of AZ lost the ability to trap game animals. When I was a kid it was nothing to trap coyotes. Now it's a crime.

Instead of letting the professionals manage the game populations, that control is wielded by the people that live in the cities and don't understand the game management issues beyond what they see in a Walt Disney film. Failing to pass Prop 109 will allow the animal rights groups to pass laws that will eliminate hunting and fishing by voter proposition. This gives those that don't understand the issue the ability to control the lives of those that do in fact understand the issues. In short, something I find reprehensible.

We just keep getting dumber and dumber, and led by the clueless.

Biker

Links