Pa. cops spar with licensed concealed carrier

This is a discussion on Pa. cops spar with licensed concealed carrier within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is an interesting article I found on Police One. I did a search first so hopefully this is not a double post. Pa. cops ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pa. cops spar with licensed concealed carrier

Here is an interesting article I found on Police One.

I did a search first so hopefully this is not a double post.

My initial impression is that the cops are in the wrong, but it's hard to say since i wasn't there.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

2. Remove Ads

I agree that cops would be suspicious of an armed man loitering at a bus stop,but i can agree that getting on a bus full of kids is no fun.I just dont know these days.The taking pictures thing was a stupid thing though.Makes him look like a stalker.

I think the cops are pushing the law a little far. Doesn't he have the right to wait on whichever bus he wants? Maybe he wanted to catch one that better fit his schedule and would get him to his destination at a given time. Sounds like the beat cops are more like the keystone cops. His lawyer advised him for his case to take pictures of other people loitering so they can show that "they" don't get harassed by the cops. The cops have no right to delete pictures off of his cell phone/camera. That's called destroying evidence, isn't it? (the evidence against them that is). Maybe this guy is trying to make a point or issue with the police, but if he isn't breaking any laws. I think this is bogus crap and the cops are overstepping their bounds.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    As the OP said I wasn't there so I don't know everything that went on. The thing that makes me a bit leary of this is that he apparently has had multiple contacts with LE over a year period, that is a little more than chance. Does he have the worst luck in the world or is he looking for confrontation to draw attention.
    From what I have read on here is not Pennsylvania, other than Philly, a firearm friendly state?
    The thing that bothers me the most is the first comment on the other forum. Officers know this guy and know the area is high crime, Is he looking for a reason to use his weapon? Kinda scary. But who knows takes all kinds to make the world go round.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Arguing with the cops about constitutional rights or right to bear arms is not the way to do things, do as they say and take your fight to court. They may be wrong but when things escalate, it always ends bad for the person who is not wearing the badge no matter who is right or wrong. Do it legally or we all look bad.

"If he's that defiant, should this guy have a gun?" said King George. "The most uncommon human trait is common sense. He's not using good, adult judgment."
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

So everyday he takes the bus. Nothing wrong with that. His reason for letting a couple go by is sound. It's possible the police are bothering him on purpose, because of that first incident we don't have details on. Happens all the time. My nephew had police stopping him all the time after he turned 18 because he used to ride his dirt bike before he turned 18 and they couldn't do much about it. So they harassed him whenever possible after he turned 18 and stopped doing stupid things. He finally bought a new car so they wouldn't recognize him. We have a policeman here in Colorado that was caught getting his buddy to give a man he didn't like a parking ticket that was fake.

I hope he sues and wins. Police should not be allowed to break the law on a whim.

Its Philly - Only the bad guys are supposed to have guns.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Going only with what was reported in the newspaper article, there is no law against being insolent, and I feel the guy's excuse for skipping the buses (kids) was legit. It sounds very much as if the LEOs are trying to make a point, even by violating the very laws that they are sworn to enforce.

Two wrongs don't make a right, even if that "wrong" is only in judgerment. His best bet is to back off, walk two blocks to the next bus stop, and let his attorney earn the big bucks at the city's expense. Any other involvement by the LEOs, other than to verify his permit [as is their duty(?)], etc., is clearly harrassment.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I hate these kind of articles. On one hand I suspect that this is a guy on a mission to cause trouble. On the other hand I would be seriously mad if I was really waiting for a bus and the police started in on me. There is so much more here on both sides that we will never know the truth. It will become a matter for a judge to decide.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

nothing to see here. Just move along....

This is completely normal in the land of the coward, home of the slave...or is it land of the FEE home of the slave?...

and oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh "he's defiant". What a sheepish mentality.

Free country my ass.

Whoops sorry this should be in the "In the News Section:" Mods please move when you get a chance, thx
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Senior Moderator
    Whoops sorry this should be in the "In the News Section:" Mods please move when you get a chance, thx
    Done.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In Missouri " any passenger who boards a bus,with a dangerous or deadly weapon or other means,capable of inflicting serious bodily injury concealed upon his person or effects is guilty of " class C felony. (RSMo 563.041) ... Personally there is no place I feel the need more to CC than the metro link is st Louis. But its a felony ,CCW are not Exempt from this in MO

"The gun has been taken because when you go through the process of arrest, we have the right to take your gun and secure it and you have to fight to get it back," he said. This comment from the Philly police says it all. He doesn't mention whether you were charged, convicted, rightly or wrongly arrested...get arrested, the police have the "right" to confiscate your personal property and YOU have to FIGHT to get it back. Totally backwards. The sheep who support this kind of thinking are just as bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links