Oakland police chief: Protesters 'tearing up' the city

This is a discussion on Oakland police chief: Protesters 'tearing up' the city within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/06/...ex.html?hpt=T2 "Batts decided to declare the march an unlawful assembly after someone ripped a gun from a police officer's holster and pointed the weapon at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oakland police chief: Protesters 'tearing up' the city

Oakland police chief: Protesters 'tearing up' the city

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/06/...ex.html?hpt=T2

"Batts decided to declare the march an unlawful assembly after someone ripped a gun from a police officer's holster and pointed the weapon at him. The person was taken into custody, Batts said."
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

2. Remove Ads

Having recently made the mistake of visiting Oakland (ex-GF wanted to dine at a waterfront restaurant @ Jack London Square), I can attest to the city being one to avoid at costs...

I believe in the right of individuals and groups to peacfully protest their grievances.

Past experience has left me with a particular dislike of rioters. The distruction and theft of private property to satisfy ones one desires and the injury or death of random persons, LE or not, is unacceptable and pretty much always has been.

Unfortunately, there are often those with no particular interest in the subject of the protest, only their own desires for violence, theft and anarchy. When they take control of a protest, it brings on unwanted results for all involved, other than themselves.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Couldn't happen to a more deserving cesspool.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

"But people do not have a right to tear this city up. Oakland already has a lot of pain, and it's not fair. This city has been torn up too many times."
    News Flash Chief, Life isn't fair. Now act like you have a pair and handle the situation.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Just an excuse for 'animals' to run wild and do the things they enjoy doing...
    Time for some 'timely justice'.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The protester/BG who ripped the gun off the officer is lucky He wasn't shot. For this reason I thought riot police would have those holsters with the positive locking systems to prevent this from happening ?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Rioting is never the answer and taking a gun away from a cop is really never a good move. All those that broke the law should be dealt with according to the law.

Having said that, the 2 year sentence is not only a joke, but a slap in the face to the victim's family. Oscar Grant and his friends were detained for basically disturbing the peace. The fact that the boy ended up dead after laying prone with 5 cops on top of him is a disgrace.

If one of us civilians accidentally discharged a gun into the back of another citizen killing him do you seriously think we'd only get 2 years? The double standard makes me sick, and I'm an active supporter of our local PD.

"Mehserle could be released from custody in about seven months, according to sentencing guidelines provided by the prosecution."
    Proud Lady Blue Dog

"Protesters" aren't tearing up the city. Oakland has been going to the dogs for decades. Still, if you want to riot and threaten others, it's time to pay the piper.

I wonder how many "riots" are induced, forced, in which the organizers and participants had nothing to do with the escalation and the publicized story of "riot" was merely the "party line" to cover up the heavy-handed dispersal of the event. So many will never know the truth.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    after someone ripped a gun from a police officer's holster and pointed the weapon at him.
    Having the weapon snatched from your side seems to be a possibility for anyone who OC's.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Having the weapon snatched from your side seems to be a possibility for anyone who OC's.
    Im going to go with this reply +1
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    Im going to go with this reply +1
    Please let's not make this an anti OC thread. Are you advocating that LEOs not OC? You do realize it was an officer who's gun was taken, not some random OCer.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I got caught up in a little riot that was one of the many smaller ones that broke out around the country during the LA riots. I was sitting in traffic in Winston Salem NC, when this group of people started hitting and jumping on cars in front of me. I layed my shiny smithy 357 on the dashboard of the truck and waited. Funny thing, they walk over the inbankment and left the area when they saw it. I made eye contact with them and smiled away. I guess I just wasn't worth their time.

VIP Member
    As previously stated, there is a world of difference between a protest and a riot. These are just thugs that found an excuse to do what they were planning on doing anyway.

Thinkin back on that now, I was breaking the law. That was long before ccw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links