I feel much safer now...

This is a discussion on I feel much safer now... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...knowing these guys are behind bars. Criminal barbering? Raids at Orange County shops lead to arrests, raise questions As many as 14 armed Orange County ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel much safer now...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I feel much safer now...

...knowing these guys are behind bars.

Criminal barbering? Raids at Orange County shops lead to arrests, raise questions

As many as 14 armed Orange County deputies, including narcotics agents, stormed Strictly Skillz barbershop during business hours on a Saturday in August, handcuffing barbers in front of customers during a busy back-to-school weekend.

It was just one of a series of unprecedented raid-style inspections the Orange County Sheriff's Office recently conducted with a state regulating agency, targeting several predominantly black- and Hispanic-owned barbershops in the Pine Hills area.

In "sweeps" on Aug. 21 and Sept. 17 targeting at least nine shops, deputies arrested 37 people — the majority charged with "barbering without a license," a misdemeanor that state records show only three other people have been jailed in Florida in the past 10 years.

The operations were conducted without warrants, under the authority of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation inspectors, who can enter salons at will. Deputies said they found evidence of illegal activity, including guns, drugs and gambling. However, records show that during the two sweeps, and a smaller one in October, just three people were charged with anything other than a licensing violation.

--more--
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Thank God we are safe from bad haircuts now!

The world is a much better place, and nobody should be made to suffer from a cowlic.

Biker

The only difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is about two weeks, but now I won't even have to worry about illegal haircuts.
    With guns, drugs, and other crime running wild, someone in the police department is actually planning 'barbers without a license' stings?
    I guess it is a crime...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A haircut I got at my local barbershop was pretty criminal if you ask me
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I don't live in Orange County, FL, but I imagine there are plenty of real crimes (i.e. assaults, murders, rapes, thefts, etc.) that they could have invested their time and energy into solving or preventing. There must be more to this story (illegal drug ring cover-up, money laundering, SOMETHING).

I can just see it now, a bunch of guys in swat type gear bustign in weapons drawn, "Drop the scissors!!! Down on the ground. Step away from the mousse!"

With all of this danger lurking in the barber shops, I'm just going to shave my melon and apply turtle wax.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I don't live in Orange County, FL, but I imagine there are plenty of real crimes (i.e. assaults, murders, rapes, thefts, etc.) that they could have invested their time and energy into solving or preventing. There must be more to this story (illegal drug ring cover-up, money laundering, SOMETHING).

I can just see it now, a bunch of guys in swat type gear bustign in weapons drawn, "Drop the scissors!!! Down on the ground. Step away from the mousse!"

With all of this danger lurking in the barber shops, I'm just going to shave my melon and apply turtle wax.
    No, no, no! It's the city of the Mouse House. Nothing bad ever happens there...except bad haircuts.

Back in my hole, now.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    City of the Mouse House .... and one of the cesspools of Florida.

The cops probably didn't have much choice here, they were tapped by BPR to 'assist' with the stings .... the real problem is the BPR. There are many arms of that agency that do some real good -- nursing licenses, stuff like that -- but for the most part this is a bunch of meaningless bureaucrats that haven't been doing their job trying to make it look like they really add something of value to the State of Florida just as a new administration is about to take over.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

It does seem like a waste of resources to use LE in this manner. Especially in light of the current economy. At least these people picked an alternative to the normal drug dealing and stealing to make money.

Well, they were armed with scissors! What if they ran!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'd be ticked if they arrested my barber while he was in the middle of cutting my hair. License or no license, I want him to finish the job. City better pay for my cut.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post

Agreed. If any of the shop owners were clean I'd be seeking a lawsuit.

Wow! I feel safe knowing all those criminals were taken off the street--for how many hours? At least I don't have to worry about a barber/criminal--I live in Ohio and I have a pony tail, and haven't gotten a haircut in several years. Reminds me of a time several years ago when the combined county/city drug task force/SWAT team "raided" a local pool hall, arrested several little old men for "gambling" (playing penny anti poker), and actually confiscated drugs--one old guys heart medicine. They became the laughing stock of the entire area. Although the city council "supported" the police and said they had done nothing wrong, it is interesting that the police chief, and the lieutenant that was involved in the raid, left the city's employ within 6 months. By the way, all charges against the elderly "criminals" were dropped. The city also withdrew its officers from that particular "task force". There haven't been anymore "raids" with guns drawn and full tactical gear on little old men since. We now have a well trained, very competent police force, with a very good chief. And a fine SWAT team who does a good and serious job, without running "practice" raids on unsuspecting law abiding elderly citizens.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    A haircut I got at my local barbershop was pretty criminal if you ask me
    It was a clip joint eh?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

As many as 14 armed Orange County deputies, including narcotics agents, stormed Strictly Skillz barbershop during business hours ... handcuffing barbers ... the majority charged with "barbering without a license," a misdemeanor that state records show only three other people have been jailed in Florida in the past 10 years.
    Cuff-and-stuff arrests, for failure to have "Guild" permission for that line of work. Narcotics agents, so I'm assuming they had intel beyond mere "Guild" displeasure. I'm assuming the prosecutor's "file" will have the information.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As much as we complain about politicians wanting to pass new laws while not having existing laws enforced, lets give some credit where credit is due. While it does look like a fairly lame attempt at justifying someone's job, at least they are actually doing their job. The big question in my mind is did the haircut police bring the cops along on their raid, or did the cops bring the haircut police so they could hit these places without warrants? This could have just been a creative end run around the fourth amendment.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links