Former Marines Charged With Selling Guns to Street Gangs

This is a discussion on Former Marines Charged With Selling Guns to Street Gangs within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; On my deployment to Okinawa back in 2005 to be part of the 31st MEU the day after we got to Camp Hansen there there ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Former Marines Charged With Selling Guns to Street Gangs

On my deployment to Okinawa back in 2005 to be part of the 31st MEU the day after we got to Camp Hansen there there was a murder on the base. A Marine was stabbed to death 15 times I think and dumped into one of the water run off ditches. We were told there were permanent personnel on the base that had gang ties and recruited Marines from their units. We were also told of other murders that had taken place before my Battalion had arrived that were gang related. I don't remember what came of that murder though. When my unit got back from Iraq there was a Marine that shot at cops while wearing his poncho, I think he had an SKS, he eventually was killed by the police, but he was using basic infantry tactics like slicing the pie. H also went on the offensive and went after police while they were getting organized. i'm sure you could still find the story somewhere online.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    A guy in my unit was selling AR-15's to the drug cartels. He got caught on a traffic stop. Had the bed of his truck loaded with plywood, only everything but the top two sheets was cut out and stuffed with guns. Had two guys get caught in my last unit who were getting paid to mule marijuana across the border. It's sad, but sometimes we get some bad apples.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

There are a lot of bad apples around now a days. I believe it came from the push to enlist everyone after 9-11 and we were gearing up for war. I dont see many gangsters in the Infantry units. I believe this is because they get weeded out pretty quick. Bad attitude, 'tough guy' will either be broken and grow up or get chaptered out. Support units seem to be where the gangsters like to hang out. I have seen people wearing "colors/bandannas" while on post. The ones I have seen were in their car so I couldnt confront them. I am of the belief that whatever you did before joining the military is your business, but once you raise your hand you are obligated to play by the rules. If you cant then you should get out.
    I remember a few years ago, I was told not to go to a certain block on post because of the gang activity. It blew me away. Unfortunately my suggestion that we practice cordon and search on this block was shot down.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    It doesn't say they were stolen. The assault rifles are illegal in Ca. but they may have been purchased legally in a nearby state.
    The ATF has admitted that some of the guns were purchased at gun shows in Arizona, and then illegally imported into California, in violation of both Federal and state laws. So it is definitely clear that most of the guns in this deal were not smuggled from Iraq.

An active duty Navy Seal was arrested a week earlier for smuggling guns from Iraq back to the USA. A single fully auto AK-47 that was one of the guns he smuggled was part of this sale. The rest of the assault rifles were semiauto guns, and undoubtedly did not come from Iraq. When the Seal was busted a week ago, authorities were able to trace this deal, and were led to these former Marines.

That is really something that a serving Navy Seal would go bad. They are considered more elite than Marines.

Equally revealing is the fact that a postal service supervisor was in on the deal, facilitating illegal shipments. So that was yet a second Federal employee that was corrupt.

Very sad commentary on the state of affairs in our country, and how we have let these Mexican Gangs like Florencia 13 flourish in our country.

Is our country eventually going to end up with the levels of violence that we now see inside Mexico??

Here is a photo of the former Florencia 13 leader Lil Pelon, before he was killed in a gun battle with another gang:

Lil Pelon has several rap videos on YouTube that he recorded that you can listen to. I cannot provide links to them, though, as his songs are little more than a tirade of obscenities.

Lil Pelon was well known for his dog, pictured with him in the photo below. It is said that he used his dog to intimidate and torture his opponents. His dog was so extremely vicious, that animal control officials had to put it down after his owner was killed.

So this is the type of people that these dudes were delivering high powered firearms to. They certainly deserve to have the book thrown at them, and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Here is a link to a CBS News report with more details about this case:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...21-504083.html

Why doesn't the FBI go after these street gangs like they did with all the elderly mafia members they just arrested. Sometimes I think they leave them alone because they are killing each other off.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Why doesn't the FBI go after these street gangs like they did with all the elderly mafia members they just arrested. Sometimes I think they leave them alone because they are killing each other off.
    Either that, or they are afraid of going after Latinos, and then being accused of racism for targeting them.

Is it possible, even remotely, that this person, like Loughner, is/was mentally disturbed only without professional analysis and treatment?
    Emotionally and mentally disturbed persons.

Having never heard of 'Florencia 13', it seems like every year some new 'old' latin gang emerges with a name & number nomenclature, a Google search comes up with a formal business by the same name (!) as in NYC and people actually give it trade even going so far s to by the comments go there simply because of the name and remembrances to having live among gang territory (!).

Bizarre.

http://www.florencia13nyc.com
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/florencia-13-new-york [Reviews]
    http://www.policemag.com/Blog/Gangs/...e-13-Gang.aspx

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    With that and the FBI, it is far too little too late.

Even by the FBIs own statement last week these people are "pathetic" and their organizations severely weakened by simply lack of resource and personnel as recruiting is at all time lows.

Now rewind to the 80s, 70s and 60s when these people current were in their prime and they had controlling fingers into much of major industrial trades as well as the racketeering, criminal drug trade, Las Vegas and Atlantic City (!) among most every other major and minor criminal activity on going.
    Even having the audacity to plan a hit toward a sitting President as well as his brother, both of whom were investigating them for major national and international crimes (the Kennedys).

Then they were not deemed to be so laughable, and as everyday civilians were being murdered outright, 'disappeared' (see Jimmy Hoffa as a notable), and very many other attacked in their homes and at their businesses along with being maimed and else wise.
    All of this becoming stylized and glamorized among then and now modern culture....As across cultures.
    Where were the awesome investigative and prosecutorial powers of the FBI, then.

Going after retirees in their 70s and 80s barely able to hoist their own body weight is to me unimpressive.
    Charging and sending to priosn for 'the rest of their life' these type persons is a joke. They already have lived their life and they lived it well off the backs of others.
    Meanwhile they and their families prospered and enjoyed the benefits both direct and secondary of such criminal activity. Those persons descendants go on to integrate into common world industry as being above board 'lawful' persons and businesses thanks to initial backing and support, again primary and secondary, being successful persons having access to further revenue as a stake of sort. Then they get a TV reality show or three to boot.

Give no praise toward picking of low hanging fruit and bad apples that have already fallen to the ground and are easy pickings as they rot just prior to full on decay.

Ask a family member whos parent(s) or sibling(s) who was shaken down, had their business closed or stolen from them as by criminal intimidation and/or even outright maimed if not murdered in the modern past a decade or four ago how THEY feel about the FBIs results.
    Those persons whose then immediate present and familial future were shaken and changed forever by the parents and grandparent of these people present if not these exact same vary guys being arrested today by the FBI.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Is it possible, even remotely, that this person, like Loughner, is/was mentally disturbed only without professional analysis and treatment?
    Emotionally and mentally disturbed persons.

Having never heard of 'Florencia 13', it seems like every year some new 'old' latin gang emerges with a name & number nomenclature, a Google search comes up with a formal business by the same name (!) as in NYC and people actually give it trade even going so far s to by the comments go there simply because of the name and remembrances to having live among gang territory (!).

Bizarre.

http://www.florencia13nyc.com
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/florencia-13-new-york [Reviews]
    http://www.policemag.com/Blog/Gangs/...e-13-Gang.aspx

- Janq

A lot of gangs use the number 13. Sur 13, MS-13, Forencia 13...

The 13 is used represent the letter M which is meant to pay homage/connect themselves to the Mexican Mafia.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links