Good: "When To Shoot?"

This is a discussion on Good: "When To Shoot?" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ABC4 News in Utah ran a story last night after a recent home invasion shooting left one suspect dead . I was skeptical when I ...

Thread: Good: "When To Shoot?"

Good: "When To Shoot?"

ABC4 News in Utah ran a story last night after a recent home invasion shooting left one suspect dead. I was skeptical when I saw the previews for this story, as I dislike the local Channel 4 news and I absolutely hate Roland Steadham.. He's been a cocky weatherman around here for years. But, it turned out to be a very factual story, and I'm impressed that Channel 4 ran it.

ABC4 Asks: When To Shoot? Click the link to watch the video.

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News)- To shoot or not to shoot? What should you do when protecting your family and property?

Some people have been asking that question since a homeowner in Kearns shot and killed a person trying to get into his home earlier this week. Now, ABC 4 is taking action to find out what the law says when it comes to using a gun.

Attorney Mitch Vilos says the law is on the side of the homeowner. "Look, if it's an unlawful entry, violent entry or stealthy entry, the law presumes that you are acting legally you are justified in using deadly force and deadly force means you can use a gun. It's that simple.”

He believes that Utah lawmakers want people to be self-reliant when it comes to protecting their home and their families.

"They wanted to put the burden of dying on the unlawful intruder not on the homeowner or his family. If your going to break into someone's home at 3 a.m. you have the burden of dying... not the homeowner."

It’s not just home invasion that protects homeowners. The law says that people are justified in using deadly force to prevent death, prevent serious bodily injury, and to stop a forceable felony, like a carjacking, rape, or kidnapping.

Vilos says it’s a complex issue. "What I would say to anybody who has a weapon whether they carry concealed or in their home is, you need to know the rules, and the rules are not simple."

For example, you cannot use deadly force to protect property. If someone is trying to steal your car you call the police. If you have a child in the car you can pull the trigger.

At the OPSGEAR urban training center law enforcement, military, and now even civilians, come and get training.

They're placed in life and death situations where they have to make split second decisions.

Being on the range with instructor Dave Burnell is intimidating and can be stressful. He's trying to simulate the pressure of live fire situation and, he says, that's the point.

"Statistics show that in an actual firefight you take your highest level of training, knock it down by 50% and at best that's where you are going to perform."

There are a lot of guns in Utah. Hundreds of thousands of people have concealed permits.

Mitch Vilos thinks that guns combined with training equals greater safety.

"You just don't break into a home in the western states or the southern states because it's dangerous. If you want a safe place to work and you're a home burglar go to Washington DC.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    That is a decent article, not the usual hide and call 911 rhetoric. That attorney is spot on, IMHO.

Mitch is THE gun attorney in Utah. I've read his Utah Gun Law book...twice.

He also has one out on gun laws in the 50 states.

It seems that these types of books tend to get out of date pretty quickly though...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

He believes that Utah lawmakers want people to be self-reliant when it comes to protecting their home and their families.

"They wanted to put the burden of dying on the unlawful intruder not on the homeowner or his family. If your going to break into someone's home at 3 a.m. you have the burden of dying... not the homeowner."

No dispute here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Mitch is THE gun attorney in Utah. I've read his Utah Gun Law book...twice.

He also has one out on gun laws in the 50 states.

It seems that these types of books tend to get out of date pretty quickly though...

I just checked out his books, thanks for the heads up, they look pretty good. I think I'll get the 50 state one, I already have a NY law book with commentary from a former DA and NYSP Lt., but having something that covers all 50 would be invaluable to read and have.

Great link thanks!!!!

GM
    That sounds good.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

[QUOTE=Coder;1804659]Mitch is THE gun attorney in Utah. /QUOTE]

I can see why. Love his comments.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

"You just don't break into a home in the western states or the southern states because it's dangerous. If you want a safe place to work and you're a home burglar go to Washington DC.
    I love that last line!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

It's not everyday you see a reporter shoot like that.

Sounds like a good report to me. Spot on! Sounds like one station that is not so anti. I agree with "Tala", I like that last line.

You just don't break into a home in the western states or the southern states because it's dangerous. If you want a safe place to work and you're a home burglar go to Washington DC.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Impressive to say the least. If I could handle the cold, I would consider living there. As it is here in Arizona, we really can't complain. Practically every man, woman and child carries a gun in this State.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Links