Strick gun laws are bad for blacks

This is a discussion on Strick gun laws are bad for blacks within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I came across this article in the NY Daily news. Author has some vaild points in a well written article. http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/...cond_amen.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strick gun laws are bad for blacks

I came across this article in the NY Daily news. Author has some vaild points in a well written article.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/...cond_amen.html

Strict gun laws are bad for ALL law abiding citizens. They are beneficial only for criminals of both the political kind who squeeze you for fines and fees and the dirtbag kind who could care less about the stupid laws to begin with. I hate when people bring race into it.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Before I retired, I taught vocational automotive mechanics in a suburban high school for 35 years. Once, a black teacher and friend of mine asked me to check out a car he was thinking of buying. He told me he was worried about the deal because the party selling the car was a white man and we all know that white folks don't take as good care of their cars as black folks do. So you see, it's all a matter of perspective. I'm sure a majority of white suburbia equate violence and gun crime mostly with blacks and would cite the numbers of blacks incarcerated to prove their point. While I don't doubt the veracity of the author's point, to me, it's just a statement and nothing more. What would he have the government do, give guns and ammo to poor blacks in the projects? I'm sure the liberals would make a case for this. If they just increased police protection and presence in black areas, they would scream racism and profiling. Just sayin...

We must support laws that ban gun show sales, straw purchases, interstate gun trafficking and other loopholes that enable handguns to get into the hands of criminals.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/...#ixzz15fBh4oXT
    It isn't the loopholes that let guns get in the hands of criminals. Gun show sales, between vendors and the public, at least, are conducted under the law. Person-to-person gun sales may take place there, at the gun show, or in a dark alley... The law can be circumvented anywhere. Singling out gun shows will not keep illegal transfers of weapons of any kind from occuring. Probably won't even slow them down.

Otherwise a pretty fair article..
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    That article was written by Dr. Mark Lamont Hill - he's about as far left as one can get and still be on the planet. I've seen him as a guest commentator on O'Reilly fairely frequently - the man talks so fast (but with excellent diction) I almost need to tape him and play it back at half speed to figure out what he said. So far this article is the only thing he's written that I can agree with, but at least he has his head on pretty straight with this issue. Washington DC, which has a significant percentage of blacks and a black rabidly antigun mayor is a prime example of people that desperately need guns being denied having them. The laws there since the Supreme Court case still make it almost impossible to get a gun. Same in Chicago. The murder rate in DC is twice the murder rate in the next worst location in the country.

But the folks there keep electing the same people who want them to be subjects instead of citizens. Elections have consequences.

Fitch

Gun control started to keep arms out of the hands of freed slaves. Gun control started out as a purely racist issue; it still is. People need to wake up and see this.

May be true, but where does most gun crime originate?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Fact: Gun ownership benefits minorities, lower income folks, and people who live in more densely populated areas more than the average citizen. It's sadly ironic that the folks who would most benefit are often the ones denied.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Gun control started to keep arms out of the hands of freed slaves. Gun control started out as a purely racist issue; it still is. People need to wake up and see this.
    We kick this around before. Check out:

http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ngn-download-view.htm

http://libcom.org/library/racist-roo...ayton-e-cramer

The history link at: http://www.blackmanwithagun.com/
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    The gun. Don't you know nothin'? It wouldn't be gun crime without the gun... It's the gun's fault. Sheesh.

On a serious note... That's a leading question... Originate... Well, in this country, slaves couldn't have guns. So, who had 'em? Were there no gun crimes before the first slave got a gun? No, the origin is the WASP. Sorry.. that's the fact.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    In the mind of the perpetrator. As does "club crime" and "knife crime" and "billy club crime" and "poker club crime".

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Strict gun laws are bad for ALL law abiding citizens. They are beneficial only for criminals of both the political kind who squeeze you for fines and fees and the dirtbag kind who could care less about the stupid laws to begin with. I hate when people bring race into it.
    Sort of made my reply simple.

Where? I give up.

True. I'd rather not see DC turn into storm front.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    True. I'd rather not see DC turn into storm front.
    There's a bit of that mentality around here . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links