Chuck E Cheese robbed by masked gunmen

This is a discussion on Chuck E Cheese robbed by masked gunmen within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Greg Foster My thoughts exactly. I would just avoid places like that, unfortunately my fiances' daughter loves going there for her birthdays. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chuck E Cheese robbed by masked gunmen

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Foster View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I would just avoid places like that, unfortunately my fiances' daughter loves going there for her birthdays.
    And how should that be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    the only way to avoid places that could be targeted for robbery would be to stay home....and even that has its risks...where so you go that you feel you are less likely to have a situation like that?...
    I think you just made a very good point
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

2. Remove Ads

This _attack_ is not the fault of the parents, but at the same time there is one key item of personal responsibility that should not be over looked here...

Witnesses said it was just before 10 p.m. on Saturday night when the masked men stormed the building which was full of parents and children at the time.
    Huh?!

Kids of age to enjoy a Chuck E. Cheese should be at home at this hour if not even in bed having been asleep an hour or three prior to 10P.
    Watch the video and take note of the size and thus relative age of these children as being kept up and _stimulated_ at this hour (!). Anyone who has been to a Chuck E. Cheese knows that this place is just lights, bells and whistles galore. Very much over stimulation even for an adult.
    Why would a parent thinking parentally take and keep a child up that late and be among such an atmosphere anyway? Schedule the birthday party or 'family outing' at a time that is more child appropriate.

This falls under the item of planned 'avoidance' as was mentioned earlier; As in by planning the timing of ones visit at a time when it is not into the hyena hour.

As to the place itself this is only the latest incident.
    There have been through the past five years alone a number of incidents including actual shootings at and inside Chuck E. Cheese facilities both day and night.
    A few were even featured here at this forums sub-area IIRC.

- Janq is a parent
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This _attack_ is not the fault of the parents, but at the same time there is one key item of personal responsibility that should not be over looked here...

Huh?!

Kids of age to enjoy a Chuck E. Cheese should be at home at this hour if not even in bed having been asleep an hour or three prior to 10P.
    Watch the video and take note of the size and thus relative age of these children as being kept up and _stimulated_ at this hour (!). Anyone who has been to a Chuck E. Cheese knows that this place is just lights, bells and whistles galore. Very much over stimulation even for an adult.
    Why would a parent thinking parentally take and keep a child up that late and be among such an atmosphere anyway? Schedule the birthday party or 'family outing' at a time that is more child appropriate.

This falls under the item of planned 'avoidance' as was mentioned earlier; As in by planning the timing of ones visit at a time when it is not into the hyena hour.

There have been through the past five years alone a number of incidents including actual shootings at and inside Chuck E. Cheese facilities both day and night.

- Janq is a parent
    Not surprising during these times, but I agree 10pm out with the kids...lol. However there's never a good time when getting robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

Huh?!

- Janq is a parent
    +1 Janq
    It is insane to me to have kids up and in public at that hour. My kids are tired and cranky @ 8pm. Folks need to use a little better judgment IMHO.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    I think the 10pm data was recently added to the original article. 'Agreed that time does put a new spin on my reaction... Not much, though.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    There was an article recently (referenced in another thread) that described how CEC is a magnet for general mayhem. Too many drunk daddies with weapons and chips on their shoulders.

It amazes me that robberies still take place. I never use cash. I imagine that cash on hand in a register at your typical greasy spoon is a fraction of what it used to be. Not that I'm advocating a totally plastic $ society.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    sorry janq...i have to disagree...and are we talking about planned avoidance or poor parenting...i dont think either comes into play when it comes to chucky cheese...its a fun filled environemnt that offers children and parents a get a way from everything...

its no different than keeping the kids up for a late night extravaganza at disney or to celebrate the new year...there are occasions where people will throw convention and "normal" behaviour out the window...its part of siezing the day so to speak...

its easy to criticize in hindsight but without incident it would be heralded as a "wow it sounds like everyone had a good time" event....

Folks don't get me wrong/mistaken...I am not saying/implying that a person should not be able to go outside their home and/or take their family to any place USA at 10P etc. and expect to not be terrorized and victimized in the process.

Clearly the actions of these three men were wholly wrong on multiple levels.

What I am though saying is that as noted in so many words by Greg Foster, the idea of "avoidance" is not at all extreme nor difficult considering the specifics of the time that this incident occurred.
    In my local news as well as in threads here at this site I keep seeing news reports of criminal take downs at establishments and private/residential places where there are 'partys' of all manner being held at very odd for children hours of the night into even the very early pre-sunrise morning (!). I'd posted such a story myself this past summer of a situation similar that went down in Springfield,MA at a childs 'birthday party' being held at IIRC 4AM. Then as I am now I am all kinds of WT...! are those kids _parents_ thinking!?
    Additionally roughly a month ago I took myself to the local Dennys for an after mid-night treat of allyou can eat pancakes. It was 2AM.
    what do I see when I walk in? Parents with multiple children relative ages 6 to new born up and walking around in the Dennys. Even more parents filed in as separate groups to do same.
    The staff at the place were visibly roll eyes about this. I asked my waitress if this is normal to her view and she replied no it is not normal she being a parent as well, but sadly (her words) they see this kind of thing more and more often lately. We then went on to discuss when do these kids sleep, how and how must they be dealing with school on school nights if they are up at this hour on weekends.
    Ridiculous. And folk wonder why American children are...Well you all know that story, I won't rant to that.

So back on point these people in the video look closely at the size of those children.
    These are not teenagers having a pizza after the big game or out on a chaperoned date.
    They are children...Little kids including that mom standing there at the end of the news report talking non-sense about how she won't go back to the same place until the three BGs are caught. Like what is that gonna do lady? Oh they gonna come back to the same spot again, too. Seriously what is she thinking?

For that matter what were any of these people thinking?!
    To my view scenarios like this for the individual, not the masses, falls under the pretext of active forethought as related to personal security for the individual and/or one family.
    Think of it as being a security detail lead/adviser for a VIP. Would you as in such a capacity advise a VIP to expose them self to in such a manner at site & timeframe...And if so how would you justify as much to the client/principal before hand, and after the fact if/when something untoward were to occur.

V.I.P. = Very Important Person(s) = You as breadwinner & provider AND your wife/mate as partner toward primary mission AND your child(ren) of which YOU are their guardian and they look & _depend_ on you to do same.

We as individuals and especially so those of us who are parents must actively think of ourselves as being security advisers and risk analysis personnel.
    That is in fact who and what we are, day to day everyday for the whole of our lives and the lives of our children too.
    Until we or they expire.

I personally can say with great surety that neither I nor my children and family would have been at this place, even if that was the invitees only 'available' time and place to host an event.
    As an individual and as a my childrens _guardian!_ I always have the right to remain silent same AND I have the right to speak up as to say quite simply; No.

- Janq

"Nobody ever did, or ever will, escape the consequences of his choices." - Alfred A. Montapert
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

the only way to avoid places that could be targeted for robbery would be to stay home....and even that has its risks...where so you go that you feel you are less likely to have a situation like that?...
    If it where up to me I'd have her birthdays at home, just us. To be honest I think her mom spoils her by having a big party every year at CEC.

Nonetheless, I get your point. Nowhere is 100% safe....and we can't just lock ourselves at home.

...its no different than keeping the kids up for a late night extravaganza at disney or to celebrate the new year...

...but without incident it would be heralded as a "wow it sounds like everyone had a good time" event....
    This is very very different than going to Disney World/Land, which is a huge hundreds of acres open space theme park being effectively a fenced in small city...And also very different than packing up your family to sit in the car or sit out under the stars at a city park or in my case college campus stadium green to under watch of local police & emergency services and the rest of ones town participate in a celebration of a national holiday.

This is a commercial business in a small building (minuscule compared to a Disney World/Land site) and anyone can go to such a place at any time, namely day time and before normal childrens bedtime.
    Staying up late for a once in a lifetime (Disney) or once a year (Independence Day) event is one thing.
    But being up late to eat junk food and be subjected to flashing lights and loud noises for no other really good pressing reason, that is wholly different.

I am not criticizing. It is an individuals choice as a person to do what they wish.
    I am though stating in so many words that this is not an optimal or even slightly less than optimal hour for children of that age as shown in the video to be up and at such a space.
    Had their parent(s) thought or known this then very likely the item of less so much active but more passive avoidance would have prevented them from being so exposed and by that suffering as they have...Including for their children possibly lasting as a memory with relation to not just guns but black people (the BGs), being up late or even rats and pizza too.
    Yes I am being serious with that later item.

If nothing had happened and say my own kids had received invitation to go to a party or simply hang out at this specific hour, I would still think same.
    Further I'd ask the parent who invited my child what are they themself thinking.
    Not being critical but rather as a direct question to better understand what is their own thought process and mindset in that they would think such an hour would be age appropriate and suitable.

- Janq

I'll defend Denny's at 4 am... with kids... Depending on the location... I have had small kids in the car at late/early hours on the way home to/from distant relative's homes over holidays etc... A "rest" stop, recharging the physical batteries for the remainder of the trip... Or the very beginning...

Otherwise though... Janq, you are completely correct... There is no reason to take small kids to a party venue beyond their normal bed time even on a weekend... For pretty much the same reason (if no other) many here won't go to an ATM after dark, alone and even armed.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Oak that condition you mention; Agreed.
    One of the notable life situation exceptions being road trip to/from far away multi-hour drive (or very late/delayed flight arrival) place.

In the event that I describe though as by what I saw directly and overheard (one trio of single moms with like 8 small kids total were seated directly behind me two booths down) none of them were such a case.
    Kids weren't wearing jammies or some other road comfort clothing etc. All but the infant were wide awake as though it were noon or some such.
    Honest it was damn bizarre and the wait staff as well the MOD they all were wearing holy cow what is with these people faces.

- Janq

I've seen that too, Janq... I really don't understand it either... It is a more common occurence over the last several years.

Parents don't seem to know how (to parent) any more. They want the schools to do it. But heaven forbid the school should actually discipline a child... then the 'rents come, loaded for bear, wanting teacher's or administator's jobs for abusing their children.
    Me, 9/11/13

3D
    Regardless of the values and lifestyle preferences of the parents and children in attendance I note with grave concern the ferocity and aggression of the attack with absolute abandon of any care for so many innocents.

This is what it has come to. We can't avoid everywhere! There are threads running on this site right now about shootings in churches, at wall♦marts, convenience stores, gas stations__you name it__.

I know it's politically NOTcorrect to say 'vigilante'. . . so I don't know what to say. . .guess I'll shut up.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Regardless of the values and lifestyle preferences of the parents and children in attendance I note with grave concern the ferocity and aggression of the attack with absolute abandon of any care for so many innocents.

This is what it has come to. We can't avoid everywhere! There are threads running on this site right now about shootings in churches, at wall♦marts, convenience stores, gas stations__you name it__.

I know it's politically NOTcorrect to say 'vigilante'. . . so I don't know what to say. . .guess I'll shut up.
    "You talkin' to me? You talkin to me? Huh? Huh? Faster than you...." DeNiro as Bickle... one of the first modern cinema "vigilantes"
    Me, 9/11/13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links