Bad: Man Shot in Chest After Answering Door

This is a discussion on Bad: Man Shot in Chest After Answering Door within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Nov. 20—NEWPORT NEWS — Police are looking for two suspects after a man was shot in the chest this afternoon in the Denbigh section of ...

Thread: Bad: Man Shot in Chest After Answering Door

Distinguished Member

Nov. 20—NEWPORT NEWS — Police are looking for two suspects after a man was shot in the chest this afternoon in the Denbigh section of the city, according to police.

The 51-year-old victim answered a knock at his door around 1 p.m. when he was shot twice in the chest, according to Harold Eley, a spokesman for the Newport News police. The shooting occured at 102 Landmark Court at the Landmark apartment complex.
    http://policelink.monster.com/news/a...answering-door

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Not even safe in your own home, yet people ask me why I carry.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

If you don't know who is at the door...DO NOT open it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like a hit rather than a home invasion.

About 22 years ago I had an uncle who was awakened in the middle of the night by a knock at the door. The guy on the other side of the door had a sawed off 12 gauge. My uncle stepped to the door and asked who is there...the man fired several times, killing my uncle. The guy who did this was sentenced to life in prison. He recently got out on parole. Moral to the story, use a window or some alternate means to verify who is outside before exposing yourself.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
    About 22 years ago I had an uncle who was awakened in the middle of the night by a knock at the door. The guy on the other side of the door had a sawed off 12 gauge. My uncle stepped to the door and asked who is there...the man fired several times, killing my uncle. The guy who did this was sentenced to life in prison. He recently got out on parole. Moral to the story, use a window or some alternate means to verify who is outside before exposing yourself.
    Agreed! Also, if you are not expecting anyone in the middle of night or early in the morning then don't answer the door and make sure you have a firearm with you. A good idea would be to install a surveillance camera to monitor who is at your front door and around the house. They are fairly inexpensive, very easy to install and they can be watched with your home television so that you can verify from your own bedroom what is going on.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you don't know who is at the door...DO NOT open it.
    Quote Originally Posted by owgem View Post
    Sounds like a hit rather than a home invasion.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

exactly what I was thinking!!

This guy rubbed someones rhubarb the wrong way.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

When I hear a late night knock at my door, I grab my .40 and go through the garage because it allows me to come up in behind whoever is knocking at my door. I also don't allow my wife or daughter to answer the door after dark.

...and I agree that this was probably not just a simple home invasion.

If I hear a knock on my door late at night, and I'm not expecting company, I will have a gun in my hand when answering!

This was 1:00pm in the afternoon I think.

This is not something my family is good at. We'll have to have a discussion about this type of thing.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Sort of followup. Another article says the shooters apologized as he was not the person they were looking for, then they ran off. There seems to be some question about "AM" or "PM" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Agreed! Also, if you are not expecting anyone in the middle of night or early in the morning then don't answer the door and make sure you have a firearm with you. A good idea would be to install a surveillance camera to monitor who is at your front door and around the house. They are fairly inexpensive, very easy to install and they can be watched with your home television so that you can verify from your own bedroom what is going on.
    Absolutely easy to install, I have three Swann cameras purchased from Radio Shack . One camera watches front door, One camera watches back door and One camera watches front garage door. I also have it connected so that all three cameras can be accessed through my computer monitor, very easy setup that I have had for about Two and one half years now.

Quote Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
    Sorry that happened to your uncle, I hope the guy gets hit by a bus. I always take my pistol if I'm not expecting anyone and if I was someone I'd be dressed with my carry rig.

Sponsored Links