VT Man killed in gun prank

This is a discussion on VT Man killed in gun prank within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow. My wife and I were talking about guns today, can't remember the details. And my 6 yr old says, "Always treat a gun like ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VT Man killed in gun prank

Wow. My wife and I were talking about guns today, can't remember the details. And my 6 yr old says, "Always treat a gun like it's loaded, right daddy." It's just not that hard.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

I don't buy he didn't know this was not a real rifle.... and wasn't loaded. I mean, he had to have checked it. Either that or he is the dumbest human being on this earth. Now, he may have been dumb enough to think that .22 bullet wouldn't do much. SUPRISE , you NUMB-SKULL.

It goes to show us, make sure we pick our friends wisely.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

As a kid, I heard plenty of stories from classmates about BB gun fights. Other than a shot to the eye, thinking of air rifles as "harmless" is all too common.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Delete. When I read VT I thought the university, not the state.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    As a kid, I heard plenty of stories from classmates about BB gun fights. Other than a shot to the eye, thinking of air rifles as "harmless" is all too common.
    BB and pellet guns from when you, and I, were kids (Daisy Red Ryder and Crossman pump guns) are Model As in power factor in relation to what are commonly market available and _modern_ today at Dick's, WalMart and for order via the internet.
    Forget about the old days from the 70s and even 80s never mind prior decades. Todays guns are by design pushing pellt projectiles at velocitys high enough that they are marketed toward and used for hunting small game including raccoon and up to even coyote and wild hogs.
    No kidding. As well in our day pellet guns only came in .177 caliber where as now they can be had in .22 all the way up to .50 as fired by CO2 powerlets or compressed air tanks.

Imagine being shot in the chest at point blank range with a pellet, or BB, by this...

Wild Boar & Coyote Hunting with Big Bore Airguns
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iplJtnsms6M

.50 cal Airguns shooting at 200 yards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uesuW4BnJs

Pig vs Pellet Gun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVX0y2Pcj_s

Hog Hunting Using a GAMO Airgun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKcVkqiDCYU

Treat every and any gun as though it is loaded...And always keep all guns unloaded until ready to fire (not just handle/use).
    Do not point the muzzle of any gun, regardless of condition, at anything you do not intend to _destroy_.
    Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

Knowing these things can save your own life, or that of another...Is exactly what I teach my kids and every student regardless of background that I instruct.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

One of the most impressive photos that I have ever seen on this board was one of Janq's very young boy holding a squirt gun with his finger in the proper position in relation to the trigger. There will be no problem with this young man having the proper gun etiquette for the rest of his life. Good job dad!

Quote Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
    How would a functionally intelligent person not know that it was a real rifle.
    Shallow Gene Pool! It's written all over his face. "I'm a double digit."

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Im going to call bullcrap on this. Bullets don't look like pellets.

Seriously? ??? ??? ??

Distinguished Member
    "Wait, no! ...I mean uh....I was cleaning it....and it just went off!"

maroon...

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    A "prank" is no longer a prank when someone dies because of it.
    Dead or not...even if it was a pellet gun, this still would not be a "prank"; it was a malicious assault, plain and simple.

If you've been paying attention, young kids today are being brought up on video games where they learn to shoot aliens, cops, robbers, zombies, etc. without distinction. And, they have access to paintball guns and pellet guns that they use to shoot each other in various games and free-for-alls. I was appalled when my 13 year old grandson wanted one of the pellet guns. It is hard to get kids to understand that pointing any loaded weapon at another person is NOT a game. On his next visit we are going to spend a lot of time on gun safety and at the range; I hope to instill a healthy respect in him for the proper use of ALL firearms.
    The problem today is that all sorts of guns are available to people who are too stupid, or too ignorant, or too lazy to handle them properly. They can easily get their hands on dangerous weapons and "play" with them while endangering others. Quite some time ago a SF writer (Asimov, I think) wrote a story about a peace advocate who was trying to convince a scientist NOT to develop/perfect a dangerous nuclear weapon. His main point was that society and politicians were not mentally, socially, morally fit to handle such a weapon. He had no luck persuading the scientist. As he was about to leave, the scientist was distracted by a telephone call so the visitor let himself out, stopping on the way to engage the scientist's very young son. After finishing the phone call, the scientist walked into his son's room to find the child playing with a loaded gun that could only have been given to him by the visitor. After a few tense moments he was able to recover the gun from the child. He thought to himself, "What kind of a madman would give a loaded weapon to a child??" (excuse me for pointing out the parallel that the scientist was doing the same thing)

What are we doing in our society when we make "toys" available to children and never point out to them the potential danger involved...? Lots of the posts in this thread point out that the "kid" in this shooting didn't know, wasn't taught, the basic rules of handling a gun. Who was supposed to teach him? Anyone think that with rights and privileges comes some attached responsibility?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    If you've been paying attention, young kids today are being brought up on video games where they learn to shoot aliens, cops, robbers, zombies, etc. without distinction. And, they have access to paintball guns and pellet guns that they use to shoot each other in various games and free-for-alls. I was appalled when my 13 year old grandson wanted one of the pellet guns.
    Don't give me that garbage.

I grew up playing these so-called "violent" video games. I played paintball avidly and had BB and pellet guns, and not once did I ever do anything like this bovine excrement. I'm not a sociopath, nor a danger to society.

I hate all the "blame the video games, blame tv, blame music" mentality. This is the same logic that blames guns for murder, and not the murderer. People need to learn to take accountability for their actions!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    What are we doing in our society when we make "toys" available to children and never point out to them the potential danger involved...? Lots of the posts in this thread point out that the "kid" in this shooting didn't know, wasn't taught, the basic rules of handling a gun. Who was supposed to teach him? Anyone think that with rights and privileges comes some attached responsibility?
    ^ This is the problem. Lack of proper instruction in safety and morals. Not being taught the difference between reality and fantasy.

It's why we so frequently hear that "it wasn't his fault, he didn't know better than to kill those people and mutilate their bodies."

I won't say that parenting is always the problem, but I'll be if it isn't the issue 9 times out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post

^ This is the problem. Lack of proper instruction in safety and morals. Not being taught the difference between reality and fantasy.

That's my point. It's not the guns, it's some of the people that (mis)handle them. I think they mishandle them because 1) they are stupid, 2) they never learned to respect them, 3) they never learned appropriate safety behaviors, 4)they may really have trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy, or 5) they are too hung up on their macho image to respond with anything not driven by excess testosterone.

Administrator
    "A 24-year-old Vermont man was fatally shot by a friend who used a gun in a prank, police said."

The old saying: With Friends Like That.....Who Needs Enemies?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links