Do not threaten the President

This is a discussion on Do not threaten the President within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hopyard What if.... Gottabe, no doubt anyone who would do or say these things in those countries would receive a similarly unpleasant ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do not threaten the President

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    What if.... Gottabe, no doubt anyone who would do or say these things in those countries would receive a similarly unpleasant message from their own gendarmes.
    Yeah, I'm thinking they'd just disappear from the face of the earth pretty quick.

This guy has obviously seen better days and it sounds like he's pretty much lost if for sure. Is he a threat to the President, I think not! I'd say he's more of a threat to himself and his direct family more so than the President.

78 years old............ LOL.... Give me a break! Take the cats guns away and make sure he gets some help.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Elected officials should get no preferential treatment. His life is worth no more or less than anybody else's.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Elected officials should get no preferential treatment. His life is worth no more or less than anybody else's.
    I would vigorously disagree. Not all life has the same value to society. We seem to all agree that our criminal BGs lives don't have the same value as that of the rest of us. At the other end, certain "brainy" people make huge contributions to society.

I was a young adult when Kennedy was assassinated. I'm not sure that our political system has recovered from that event even to this day. Our President's life, so long as he has been elected under constitutional processes and been sworn in appropriately, is far more valuable than mine. Everyone recognizes this truth when we applaud the bravery of Secret Service security detail personnel who are trained to take a bullet for our president.

Walt Whitman (1819–1892), wrote:

O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
    The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won;
    The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
    While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:
    But O heart! heart! heart! 5
    O the bleeding drops of red,
    Where on the deck my Captain lies,
    Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
    Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills; 10
    For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding;
    For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
    Here Captain! dear father!
    This arm beneath your head;
    It is some dream that on the deck, 15
    You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still;
    My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will;
    The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;
    From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won; 20
    Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells!
    But I, with mournful tread,
    Walk the deck my Captain lies,
    Fallen cold and dead.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    What if the same thing was being said about Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, or Hugo Chávez. Just sayin.
    If they were under USSS protection you would find yourself getting a visit... Just sayin.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    If they were under USSS protection you would find yourself getting a visit... Just sayin.
    Kind of a stretch there, but hey, I guess anythings possible.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    Maybe he was hoping to spend his twilight years with three hots and a cot plus free first rate medical care? I would have gone with an unarmed bank robbery myself but...

Ryan
    He was in a VA clinic, he was already getting free medical care.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    Don't agree with any president getting death threats of any kind, but it goes both ways and every President should get the same protection. But that didn't always happen now did it ? http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/?p=621
    Zombietime is a good web site. However, do NOT, repeat NOT, get your hopes up when you click on the "Breasts Not Bombs" link there.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
    ... Because as far as I understand it my loyalty is with the President of our nation,..
    I would hope not. The President is simply an administrator we select to hold a position for a few years. Loyalty to the Constitution or freedom, if anything.

Whether I agree with who is the POTUS or not, I have ultimate respect for the office. The President is our leader, and we have a process for removing him when we see fit. If we condone assassination of government officials then we are not better than those African nations that believe that when you are tired of your leader, put a bullet in him.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    Whether I agree with who is the POTUS or not, I have ultimate respect for the office. The President is our leader, and we have a process for removing him when we see fit. If we condone assassination of government officials then we are not better than those African nations that believe that when you are tired of your leader, put a bullet in him.
    Excellent words. Thanks.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I know many of us have very negative feelings about our current President and I am one of these people. But I do respect the Office, our Flag, our Country and I was taught to respect the uniform when I served in the Army. This is my Country and I would give my life once again to defend it regardless of how I feel about the President.//END//

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    Maybe he was hoping to spend his twilight years with three hots and a cot plus free first rate medical care? I would have gone with an unarmed bank robbery myself but...

Ryan
    eh...then you'd be out in 2 or less and then stuck with paying all the legal fees...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links