Carjacker couldn't start car.

This is a discussion on Carjacker couldn't start car. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As if that isn't dumb enough, why did the woman stick around? http://www.lohud.com/article/20101126/NEWS02/11260355 As a Pelham Manor woman got into her 2001 black BMW convertible ...

Thread: Carjacker couldn't start car.

Distinguished Member

Carjacker couldn't start car.

As if that isn't dumb enough, why did the woman stick around?

http://www.lohud.com/article/20101126/NEWS02/11260355

As a Pelham Manor woman got into her 2001 black BMW convertible Wednesday evening in front of the Four Corners CVS on Boston Post Road, a man slid in, pressed what appeared to be a black handgun to her side and told her to get out. He ordered the 55-year-old woman to leave her pocketbook so he could find her if she called police a stalling technique to give him time to get away, police said.

But the man, who appeared impaired by drugs, could not start the car.

He walked back over to the woman, police said, forced her at gunpoint to start the car and get out again, then ordered her to walk away.

2. Remove Ads

Sometimes those Beamers had problems with cold starts.

Some BMWs know where the key is and won't start if it is out of the car. It also won't lock the trunk if the key is in there. Or it could have been a push button start that he wasn't familiar with...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Sounds like dummy tried to steal something too complicated for him.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Some BMWs know where the key is and won't start if it is out of the car. It also won't lock the trunk if the key is in there. Or it could have been a push button start that he wasn't familiar with...
    PBS would be my guess also.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

If there was a gun on her person this could have been a lot different.

It might just have been a stick. Most thugs don't know how to start a car with a manual transmission, let alone drive one.

VIP Member
    Regardless of why the BG couldn't take the car, I had to notice the location; Boston Post Road at Pelham Manor. A long long time ago I lived on Boston Post Road about 3-4 miles from that spot. It wasn't good then, and it looks like not much has changed over 40 + years.

Glad happenstance caused me to leave.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Regardless of why the BG couldn't take the car, I had to notice the location; Boston Post Road at Pelham Manor. A long long time ago I lived on Boston Post Road about 3-4 miles from that spot. It wasn't good then, and it looks like not much has changed over 40 + years.

Glad happenstance caused me to leave.
    Yeah, not a good place, I just enjoy it's ambiance from the highway. ;) Although, strangely enough, I have gone horseback riding in Pelham Manor. But that place is far removed from the center of town.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    It might just have been a stick. Most thugs don't know how to start a car with a manual transmission, let alone drive one.
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...-89850542.html
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    There was a story about a guy getting car jacked outside of a store by two BGs and they sat out there trying to start the car until the police pulled up. The owner said that all he heard was his radio being turned on and that was it LOL

That is a reason why I would want a manual vs a auto. If someone tries to carjack me, I just dump the clutch and leave the car and hope that they don't know how to start it up
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

"He walked back over to the woman, police said, forced her at gunpoint to start the car and get out again, then ordered her to walk away."

If she had gone into the CVS and called 911 the first time he told her to get out, the police would have likely been there before he got away. Why did she just stand there?

They could stop successful car jacking by having a dual key fob system in which the car would only start if they both were within 30 feet of each other and the car at the same time. To operate the car, you would have one in the switch and one in your pocket and once the one in the switch got a half mile away from the one in the person's pocket the car would shut down, lock the doors, and sound the audio and visual alarms only to be unlocked by the other remote key fob. The technology is there and not expensive.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    There was a story about a guy getting car jacked outside of a store by two BGs and they sat out there trying to start the car until the police pulled up. The owner said that all he heard was his radio being turned on and that was it LOL

That is a reason why I would want a manual vs a auto. If someone tries to carjack me, I just dump the clutch and leave the car and hope that they don't know how to start it up
    Funny!

Just pop the clutch and drive away.Are they going to shoot the car they want to steal? If they shoot you,they have no more car to steal as it is now wrapped around a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    I've given serious thought to installing an electrical system kill switch in my Jeep. It's a soft top and very easy to get into (I've had someone un-velcro one of the windows and steal very minor things once before). Mine is a stick though so i think less likely to be taken for a ride, so to speak.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    "He walked back over to the woman, police said, forced her at gunpoint to start the car and get out again, then ordered her to walk away."

If she had gone into the CVS and called 911 the first time he told her to get out, the police would have likely been there before he got away. Why did she just stand there?

They could stop successful car jacking by having a dual key fob system in which the car would only start if they both were within 30 feet of each other and the car at the same time. To operate the car, you would have one in the switch and one in your pocket and once the one in the switch got a half mile away from the one in the person's pocket the car would shut down, lock the doors, and sound the audio and visual alarms only to be unlocked by the other remote key fob. The technology is there and not expensive.

^^^^Yeah^^^^^^^^

Kind of like a snowmobile or personal water craft, in the way the tether is pulled from the spot it snaps into , the engine dies[is cut off electrically].
    Seems pretty simple, and would stop most car jackings.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Funny!

Just pop the clutch and drive away.Are they going to shoot the car they want to steal? If they shoot you,they have no more car to steal as it is now wrapped around a tree.

^^^^^^^^^Sadly no^^^^^

They would light you up just to spite your cleverness.
    Kind of the old thug ideaology; "Your MY woman, If I can't have ya, then nobody gets ya"
    as they shoot her.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links