Wife of City Councilman robbed at ATM, 45 Minute Police Response.

This is a discussion on Wife of City Councilman robbed at ATM, 45 Minute Police Response. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wednesday afternoon, broad daylight, took police 45 minutes to respond ,,, they responded as fast as they could. This & many other lessons to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife of City Councilman robbed at ATM, 45 Minute Police Response.

Wednesday afternoon, broad daylight, took police 45 minutes to respond ,,, they responded as fast as they could. This & many other lessons to be learned.

Talk about total passive compliance. No show of force, threat or weapons by the perps, & just roll over & give up all funds from savings & checking? Huh?

Story link: http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Thiev...110709099.html

WFAA
    Posted on November 25, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Updated today at 1:36 PM

DESOTO - A crime on Wednesday served as another reminder as to why people are asked to stay alert while using ATMs.

That quick cash can also make people a target for thieves.

The latest victim: the wife of a Dallas city councilman.

It happened at the Dallas Teacher Credit Union near Wheatland and Westmoreland in Desoto.

Investigators think they've done it before. The men took more than Marshella Atkins' cash and jewelry - they stole her sense of security.

Despite all laughs over Marshella Atkins' holiday cooking, deep down she's grieving, terrified over what happened at this ATM in broad daylight.

"He just took my life away from me took my life away from me," she said.

Wednesday afternoon, Marshella withdrew several hundred dollars, when a businessman, standing 5 foot 6 inches with a thick West African accent approached her in the bank parking lot. He claimed he was lost, needed directions and made a living helping the poor.

"I'm kinda one of those persons I help anybody from the streets," Atkins said.

Marshella is the wife of Dallas city councilman Tennel Atkins.

They help strangers all the time and this time seemed no different, until another man showed up. Immediately, the mood changed.

"For me it was like two minutes of horror because it was just like, all of the sudden he turned from like an angel to a monster to a monster," Atkins said.

He forced Marshella to withdraw everything from her checking and savings.

"My son is battling a life threatening disease and that's [the] money I kinda keep for his medical situation, for emergencies and situations of that nature," Atkins said.

Marshella says even though she never saw a weapon, she never fought back, never resisted. She just cried when they took her four-carat diamond wedding ring, as well as her anniversary ring.

"They took everything. They took my Thanksgiving. They took my Christmas. They took something I don't think I'll ever get back again," she said.

Marshella Atkins claims it took Desoto police over 45 minutes to respond to her 911 call.

We're told because of the Thanksgiving holiday, staffing was limited, plus three immediate calls were being handled, including a major structure fire, a burglary in progress, and a man with a gun.

Police say they responded as soon as they could.

Meanwhile, the two robbers remain on the loose.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

2. Remove Ads

Doesn't sound like a native Texan... maybe she's from the Left Coast.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    No one knows what they'll do till they face it. Only lesson is to use caution with strangers in bank parking lots.

Forty five minutes response time seems way way too long, but then the call no doubt went through AFTER the incident was over. At that point even a couple of minutes could let the BG get away for good.

This sort of thing is one reason I don't let Mrs. H go to the bank to withdraw money. Other business yes, but money no.

So, is this wise or not? She doesn't like to carry an ATM card and has difficulty using the machines. What if---not having the card could be a liability instead of just a way to lose a few bucks.

Mmmm...
    We're told because of the Thanksgiving holiday, staffing was limited, plus three immediate calls were being handled, including a major structure fire, a burglary in progress, and a man with a gun.

The Thanksgiving holiday didn't seem to slow down the dirtbag much.
    I'll bet a .45 bullet or two would have slowed him down a bit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't exactly know what to say about this. It makes headlines when your wife or mine wouldn't in a similar circumstance. The police response? Get used to that no matter who you are. Why everyone should legally carry. Why each and every one of us needs to think more now than in the past because there's nobody to do it for us. There never was actually. The good Samaritan ordeal has gone by the wayside over the years as well thanks to opportunistic criminals. Time for some to harden up on life and the true facts. You can only depend on yourself when it comes right down to it. How is it we've depended on others for so long and elect them to make good decisions for us? I've pointed my finger in the mirror many times. I've come to know that shepherding the flock is not my job and all the while thinking that the sheep are responsible for the position we're in. Every once in a while I get the urge to eat raw meat.....I know where this urge comes from and I suppress it.

It is getting to the point where we should draw first and ask questions later. It used to be when seconds count the police where minutes away. What should we say now? Another one for the bad guy, how many more till he runs up against someone who will not take his BS or crap. Center mass should take care of it.

Some excellent victim selection skills on somebodys part.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Some people just live a false reality.

If they tried to rob me it woulda been dissapointing,I never carry more than $20.00 in ammo,but would gladly let them have every round
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If they tried to rob me it woulda been dissapointing,I never carry more than $20.00 in ammo,but would gladly let them have every round
    Now-a-days, that's probably 5-6 shots.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There is absolutely very few legitimate reasons for anyone to approach you in any parking lot! Especially if you are alone! All kinds of bells and whistles should go off when this takes place, and you should start formulating your response immediately. Hopefully, your response would include advance preperations through training, target practice and thought.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I recall better days when someone in need would approach and you could help them if possible. The predators have found new ways to attack their prey and pretending to be someone in need is one.

I don't advocate not ever helping someone, but with all that we see in the news about this type of incident, we should be warned and learn that it will happen as it has been said many times here

Anywhere, anyplace, anytime.

I still haven't given up on humanity, I just am a bit more suspicious about it than I used to be.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; November 27th, 2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: tried to edit out two of same words together.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

One can only hope that the "man with a gun" situation that was consuming a police resource at this time was a valid problem. Hopefully not just a law-abiding someone open carrying.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Some excellent victim selection skills on somebodys part.
    That's an understatement brother!
    "He just took my life away from me took my life away from me," she said.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The statement of a person who will never get it, and spent their whole life living with their head in the clouds.
    She got robbed, she's lucky he didn't take her life!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A question - "structure fire?" If the firefighters are there, why do the police need to remain there? If there needs to be an arson investigation, doesn't the fire marshall determine that, anyway? It's not an emergency.

Sort of like how I sometimes see the water truck pull up for a medical emergency (after the ambulance has gotten there). What's going on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links