Hollow points are controversial - CNN

This is a discussion on Hollow points are controversial - CNN within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This story - about the murder of that Hollywood agent last week, posted on CNN ( http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/cele...ex.html?hpt=T2 ) has a very interesting clue about Hollow-Point ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hollow points are controversial - CNN

Very Interesting and a Possible Heads UP:

This story - about the murder of that Hollywood agent last week, posted on CNN ( http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/cele...ex.html?hpt=T2 ) has a very interesting clue about Hollow-Point Ammo and common non-gunner attitudes.

"Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- Hollywood publicist Ronni Chasen's killer fired at least four shots into her car, including at least one hollow-point bullet, in last week's Beverly Hills attack, according to a leaked coroner's report..............
    Chasen, 64, died from gunshots fired into her Mercedes-Benz as she turned off Sunset Boulevard on her way home from a star-studded premiere celebration for the movie "Burlesque" in the early morning of November 16.................

'One bullet was recovered from her back while at the hospital and is possibly from a 9 mm hollow point,' according to the document shown on Los Angeles television station KTTV.
    Hollow-point bullets are controversial because the slug is designed to expand after it enters a body, causing greater damage to tissue than a solid bullet."

And there was the school teacher out West a few years ago - convicted of Manslaughter or Murder - 10 year sentence - the Jury swayed partially by DA characterizing HP rounds as : "inhuman!". (I think, for other reasons, his conviction was overturned after a few years - but still)

I use a Law Enforcement Winchester Ranger St .45, just in case some DA tried the same on the remote chance I was in a position like the teacher's. It's a great round anyway is the other reason. Pretty hard to argue your ammo is "inhuman" unless you want to characterize every police agency in the country as "inhuman"

This is just an example of something that all police and all civilians who shoot know is absurd, but is held the opposite by many - including potential juries and DAs out for convictions. So, a gentle reminder for what it's worth, even though it's a very remote chance it would ever be relevant......... Always better to know as much as possible is my theory......

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm not worried about brand of ammunition I use. Any lawyer worth his fee will point out to a jury that the police are carrying hollow point ammunition, if that issue is raised. I do carry hollow points in all of my guns and my preferred ammunition is Federal HST. Like your Winchester Ranger ammo it is billed as LE ammo.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'm not worried about brand of ammunition I use. Any lawyer worth his fee will point out to a jury that the police are carrying hollow point ammunition, if that issue is raised. I do carry hollow points in all of my guns and my preferred ammunition is Federal HST. Like your Winchester Ranger ammo it is billed as LE ammo.
    I agree.

Boy, I thought we were long past the hollow point ammo discussion. Must we drag this up again? HPs are only "news" to those who are unaware and uninterested in guns and shooting, which lamentably describes a lot of people in the news media. To most of the rest of us, HP ammo is simply de rigueur and frankly, old hat. By the 1980s, three decades ago, American law enforcement had nearly universally adopted expanding-bullet ammo, and withstood ACLU challenges as to its alleged brutality.

Since the OP is "hamlet," I'll paraphrase Polonius's advice - "to thine own defensive ammo be true."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

the slug is designed to expand after it enters a body, causing greater damage to tissue than a solid bullet.
    Exactly ... & that's why most LEO, CCW'ers, and myself use them.

I have no controversy with them whatsoever.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

It's only "controversial" if the news station is trying to hype-up a drive-by shooting of a somewhat known (?) celebrity...

I wonder what an idiot TV reporter would say if told that most/all LEOs carry HP/JHP ammo....

I hate stupid people.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Its a waste of time trying to talk to those who have no ears, just a mouth.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

From OP: I'm not worried or wondering about ammo. To me, it's interesting - and I think it's good to know what general beliefs are around that may be a part of self-defense. Others may not, but I'd just as soon the thread didn't become a treatise on the OP's ridiculous fears. My own ammo has a lot of reasons to use it, one of which it it also happens to be LE.

I don't agree that the news media push this. Most folks I know not familiar with guns, would think the same until it was explained otherwise - and there are many of them who do not understand much at all about armed self-defense. Many misconceptions.

VIP Member
    I personally think it's not as much an issue about hollow points as it's an issue about a competent attorney representing you.

Either way, if you're involved in a shooting, hang on to your biscuits... it's going to be a long rough ride!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Yep, that's why I use them!
    +1 my thoughts exactly!
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Well, at least they didn't call it a "dum-dum" or a "cop-killer" bullet...
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    The story should include that most, if not all, police departments in the US use hollowpoint handgun ammunition.
    Including all federal law enforcement agencies. What a bunch of out of touch liberal "journalists".
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I have stopped watching CNN many years ago already as their news is full of garbage. I can even recall the NRA's Wayne Lapierre chewing them out as well as ending the discussion for their demonizing of assault rifles.

The good thing about this story for me was that it reminded me I still had my carry gun loaded with range ammo from my visit yesterday. Loaded back up properly now. Thanks CNN!
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links