Hollow points are controversial - CNN

This is a discussion on Hollow points are controversial - CNN within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sure way to produce black and white reactions is to engage in black and white actions. The world is gray. Now THAT is a controversy....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hollow points are controversial - CNN

Senior Moderator
    Sure way to produce black and white reactions is to engage in black and white actions. The world is gray.
    Now THAT is a controversy.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

It would seem to me that the hollow point bullet is a "Safer Round" for the general public, as it has less penetration than that of a non-hollow point bullet. Ergo, the round stops (should stop) in the intended target if hit, and if a miss, will hopefully stop/slow down sufficiently after passing through a wall, or other obstruction in it's path minimizing injury to non combatants that may be in the bullets trajectory. If fact that is why I selected my current self defense round. Sufficient penetration to stop the threat w/o blowing though.

NOTE - This is not a substitute for knowing your target, and what is behind your target (one of those 4 gun rule mantras).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONY ALERT
    Beverly Hills Police Chief David Snowden asked journalists a week ago to keep "erroneous information, theories or speculation" out of their stories.
    Heh.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Well, I for one use .45 ball FMJ rounds. We dont need no stinking hollow point bullets as the .45 cal FMJ will spin a grown adult around if it hits his little finger. The earth is tilted on it's axis after they impact the ground and the passing of the bullet through flesh sucks all of the oxygen out of the human body.

OK, well, maybe not but I just couldn't resist. Sorry...carry on.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    It's like saying... "Going out to dinner? Watch out, American people, there is a guy in the back trained to use sharp knives...Who is he? and Why is he in the back? News at 11..."
    Wasn't that reported by The Onion?

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    In other words, there is a controversy. I didn't say there was a controversy with knowledgeable people. I said there was a controversy and though you claim to disagree, you then admitted there is one
    Based on this reasoning, the Apollo moon landings, a round earth, and whether the Holocaust happened are controversial.

The sex of the guy/girl/it at the check-in line at the gym last weekend is very controversial as well.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Thumbs down Ugh...the evil HollowPoint bullet attack...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/cele...iref=obnetwork
    Hollywood publicist's killer used hollow-point bullet, report says
    By Alan Duke, CNN
    November 26, 2010 6:39 p.m. EST
    Hollow-point bullets are controversial because the slug is designed to expand after it enters a body, causing greater damage to tissue than a solid bullet.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'm proud to be controversial :-D

And I agree. . . there is a controversy. A minor, rarely noticed, and stupidly irrelevant controversy that doesn't really warrant discussion. That's why it's news :)

Hollow points are a safety feature. They help prevent the bullet from traveling through the intended target and into a non targeted object. They also help limit the travel of ricochets. I am surprised that OSHA does not require all shooters to use them.

Michael

Nuts....well thought out and funny as heck.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

The message of this article is this: much about self-defense is a matter of ignorance for many people - in the same we are ignorant of whole areas. But the Law is applied through the influence of community standards. And lethal Self-Defense actions are legal affairs, and we are involved in self-defense. Figure it out?

If you want to use this story to mock those who don't know about HP - why SHOULD they know? Would YOU about medical processes and SOP? Or if you want to use it to argue about HP ammo, fine. But you miss the message. Better to educate than castigate - and if you create enemies out of everyone who doesn't know what you do - or doesn't agree with it - you'll have a lot enemies at the end of the day. (So will all involved with firearms.) Your tough luck if you create the hostility that greets you on your locale's Grand Jury taking a look at an incident you were involved in.

Don't take offense at the story, take the message.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    If you want to use this story to mock those who don't know about HP - why SHOULD they know? Would YOU about medical processes and SOP?
    I think the point is that if you don't know the details of hollow points, or the accuracy of what you are writing you should either learn about it first or not write about it. It is a controversy to the writer, not those that have the knowledge. I wouldn't write about medical processes because I have no knowledge or experience in that area. To do otherwise leaves yourself open to look like a fool. This writer did....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I think the point is that if you don't know the details of hollow points, or the accuracy of what you are writing you should either learn about it first or not write about it. It is a controversy to the writer, not those that have the knowledge. I wouldn't write about medical processes because I have no knowledge or experience in that area. To do otherwise leaves yourself open to look like a fool. This writer did....
    exactly, don't make such statements about things you know you do not understand. Its like that legislator whose name I cannot remember thought a muzzle shroud was "that thing that folds down over the shoulder" or something like that.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Unfortunatley, as we have all witnessed first hand over the years, responsible journalism is a misnomer in the press. You could go all the way back to the OK Corral shootout and read the reporting from both newspapers that covered the Earps and find inaccuracies. Nothing has changed. Reporting is about sensationalism and selling papers.

Maybe I am safe by relying on big lswc bullets, eh?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links