Hollow points are controversial - CNN

This is a discussion on Hollow points are controversial - CNN within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So were some of the rounds used 'ball' type ammo to penetrate the vehicle or its glass, and some of the rounds hollow-point to effect ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hollow points are controversial - CNN

3D
    So were some of the rounds used 'ball' type ammo to penetrate the vehicle or its glass, and some of the rounds hollow-point to effect maximal tissue damage?? . . . any report on ALL of the rounds used?
    Anyone besides me used a 'mixed' magazine?
    Sorry for the insensitive questions . . . . just curious.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

2. Remove Ads

I was a bit confused by the 'at least one hollowpoint' statement as well. They didn't know? Were there multiple types of ammo?

The only time I've ever mixed a magazine was when I was camping. I figured there was a lot less opportunity for hitting someone behind my target with an over-penetrating round, and I might need that penetration if I ran across a large predator unexpectedly. I also figured I'd be unloading the whole magazine at said predator if I ran across it, but the HP would be more effective against the two-legged variety. There are a lot of valid arguments against mixed mags for daily carry out there.

Instead of starting a new thread, here is the follow-up to the story: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/01...ct-kills-self/

This is what cracks me up....I think someone watched "Date Night" and took it as a documentary...."IT'S A KILL SHOT! OMG! A KILL SHOT!"

A retired detective who viewed the report said he believed the shooter was an "expert marksman," ABC News reported, because of the manner in which the gun was turned sideways to make the shot.
    Seriously!???
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    With the assassin now dead, there will be no way to trace this back to the "Star Whackers" that ordered the hit.

Randy Quaid is claiming that the same "Star Whackers" group is after himself and his wife. That is why he is requesting asylum in Canada ( the non-mental kind of asylum ).

Quaid says that the "Star Whackers" plan to either hang, stab, or drug him to death. Here is a link to his allegations about this secret murderous group that is operating in Hollywood, and killing stars:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...005/story.html

Distinguished Member
    ...because anyone these days would consider Randy Quaid a "star".

Little brother Dennis, sure, but Randy?

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    exactly, don't make such statements about things you know you do not understand. Its like that legislator whose name I cannot remember thought a muzzle shroud was "that thing that folds down over the shoulder" or something like that.
    "The shoulder thing that goes up..."

"No, it's not..."

Carolyn McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    ...because anyone these days would consider Randy Quaid a "star".

Little brother Dennis, sure, but Randy?

"The shoulder thing that goes up..."

"No, it's not..."

Carolyn McCarthy
    yes! thanks Xader. LOL
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I thought it was funny when one of the news reporters referred to it as a "Holly point".

3D
    "Do you KNOW what a barrel-shroud is?"
    "No I do not" . . "I think its the shoulder thing that goes up. . . "

Yet you voted to ban it not even knowing what the h377 you were banning
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by KWAG View Post
    I thought it was funny when one of the news reporters referred to it as a "Holly point".
    It can make you rather Hole-y.....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Hollow point ammunition/News controversy discussion:

Oh, boy my first blog!
    Both my Ruger PR345KP and Bersa Thunder .380 are loaded with Federal HydroShock JHPs, because they are most effective in taking a perpetrator out and to keep from shooting completely through them, killing or injuring others.
    Surely, no one packing is unaware of both of these reasons for loading hollow point rounds in their self-defense weapons.
    The news typically does not report news, they actually sensationalize it, and are even known to create it in order to hike viewers and therefore attract higher-paying advertisers...news is more about stats and money these days.
    A lot of news reporting is done by anchors following tele-prompters, of scripts written by news spinners bent on attracting viewers about any wee bit of controversy that can be stirred-up that appeals to public emotion.
    We all know this, so hollow point issues in this day and age are no more than fodder for their self-serving venue, and have no moral or legal validity, especially when compared with the victim's right to protect themselves, their loved-ones, and their property from the onslaught of zero-conscience perpetrators.
    A lot of our responsible news journalism/casting died with such notables as Walter Cronkite, et-al.
    For us educated packers the conversation about hollow point ammunition in these times is, at best, laughable and less than interesting; unless, of course, we're discussing which one is most effective.

Just spending my 2...

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Instead of starting a new thread, here is the follow-up to the story: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/01...ct-kills-self/

A retired detective who viewed the report said he believed the shooter was an "expert marksman," ABC News reported, because of the manner in which the gun was turned sideways to make the shot.
    This is what cracks me up....I think someone watched "Date Night" and took it as a documentary...."IT'S A KILL SHOT! OMG! A KILL SHOT!"

Seriously!???

I know it's overdone, but I still get a chuckle :)

Distinguished Member
    Oh dear lord... The news woman on my local radio station (WPLJ) said hollowpoints explode on impact and are only used by professional assassins.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Oh dear lord... The news woman on my local radio station (WPLJ) said hollowpoints explode on impact and are only used by professional assassins.
    What a sad commentary on the state of the media in this country. Shameful.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Senior Moderator
    Its a sad commentary on the fact that we are even having this discussion.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Even FOX news is jumping on the ignorance bandwagon. Last night one of their reporters touted evidence of the 'professional' hit out in CA because of the "hollow-point cop-killer" bullets used. I suspect that there is some sort of requirement of members of the media to be nearly completely out of touch with common information that is readily available and evident to most citizens.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links