Stupid: Carjacked with baby in car...running after car to get the baby back

This is a discussion on Stupid: Carjacked with baby in car...running after car to get the baby back within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Forward to the video to about 7:30 otherwise you'll be sitting for awhile. I think the couple got pretty lucky. Glad they fought for the ...

Thread: Stupid: Carjacked with baby in car...running after car to get the baby back

Stupid: Carjacked with baby in car...running after car to get the baby back

Forward to the video to about 7:30 otherwise you'll be sitting for awhile. I think the couple got pretty lucky. Glad they fought for the baby, but had they been smart to start with the wouldn't have been in this situation to start with.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bb9_1290876433
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

2. Remove Ads

well that was dumb.
    they left the baby in the car and walked away from it. also, don't leave your car running and walk away from it. you may as well put up a sign that says "STEAL ME!!"
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Agreed, stupid by the parents on all points.

See this is a good on video example of how people , very often, get them self into and/or invite crime trouble simply for how they to start choose to act (or not act).
    Completely avoidable as in to not happen at all.

They got lucky in the end.
    Caught on Tape: Parents Stop Carjacking to Save Baby
    In Kansas City, a Man Tried to Steal a Couple's Car With Their Child Still in the Backseat
    By BARBARA PINTO
    Nov. 25, 2010

...Melanie and Aaron Richman were in the final hours of their move from Colorado to Missouri Monday night when they pulled into a gas station to fuel up. Melanie's mother and brother were part of the family caravan, each driving rented moving trucks. The Richman's two other children, ages 5 and 6, were riding with their grandmother.

The gas station's surveillance cameras captured what initially looked like a routine trip. The Richmans parked their 1997 Pontiac Grand Am, pumped gas, took a trip to the restroom and tried to entertain their 6-month-old daughter, Samantha, who was strapped into her car seat.

"I'm just jumping on the tail end of the car, making it go up and down, just trying to keep her occupied and entertained," Aaron Richman, 22, said. "Just letting my guard down for that split second, everything went to hell."

For a moment, the Richmans walked a few yards from their car to speak with relatives. That's when the surveillance tape showed a man getting into their car, and taking off.

Melanie Richman described her worst nightmare as a parent: "You're never going to see your baby again."

"If he got through the parking lot, we would never see our child," Aaron Richman said, recalling the moment he saw a man take off in their car.

Without thinking, both young parents raced after the car.

"It was really just instinct," Aaron Richmond said. "Everything happened so fast. We really had to react. There was no time to worry about if he had a weapon."

Melanie Richman, 24, said she grabbed onto the moving car as it dragged her through the parking lot, and was able to break the passenger side window with her elbow.

"Holding on for dear life, wherever she was going to go, I was going to go with him," she said. Somehow, her husband managed to dive into the car.

"I was just sitting upside down in the passenger seat kicking him and telling him my baby was in the car. 'You're stealing my car. Get out of my car,'" he said.

Under attack, the would-be carjacker drove onto a curb and ran off. The couple suffered bruises and cuts. Their baby was covered in glass but otherwise unharmed.

The suspect is still at large...

Full article - http://abcnews.go.com/US/caught-tape...ry?id=12241038
    Do not do things like this...Think before you act, as rather than find yourself forced to act with no time allowed to think.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Call me paranoid, but this is why even if I just stop for gas, use the card at the pump and never go into the store, the keys go into my pocket when I leave the car.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    Call me paranoid, but this is why even if I just stop for gas, use the card at the pump and never go into the store, the keys go into my pocket when I leave the car.
    But unlike the victims in the story, you have SA and common sense.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Whether incidents are caused by stupidity or naivete, the results are often the same.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Whether incidents are caused by stupidity or naivete, the results are often the same.
    Very true. This happened in Kansas City, my home town.

Several years ago, a Blue Springs (Kansas City suburb) woman left her child inside the back seat of car unattended while the car was running and the doors unlocked. A man jumps inside and backs up to drive off. The woman screaming her son was in the back had gotten the back door open, and attempted to get her son out as the guy sped off. Her son fell out of the car and remained tangled up in the seat belt as the guy drove off. The door slammed shut and the child was drug for over 13 miles as the guy sped away on I-70 with the child tangled in the seat belt and banging against the road and the side of the car. Other drivers on the highway finally forced him off the road when he exited the Interstate in Independence and damn near beat him to death before the police arrived. Needless to say, the boy was totally unrecognizable at that point.

Given that highly publicized incident, one would think people, at least in the Kansas City area would learn not to leave children unattended in a car. Let alone one which is running. Yet people continue to do stupid things like this every day.

The couple in this story was so lucky to have retrieved their child and foiled the carjacking. It could have been tragic like the one I described.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links