Judge, Sheriff, Prosecutor & 2 other killed in Virginia Court (98 years ago)

This is a discussion on Judge, Sheriff, Prosecutor & 2 other killed in Virginia Court (98 years ago) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT A hundred years ago, two teenagers in rural southwest Virginia shared a seemingly innocent kiss that eventually led to a courtroom massacre that dominated ...

Thread: Judge, Sheriff, Prosecutor & 2 other killed in Virginia Court (98 years ago)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Judge, Sheriff, Prosecutor & 2 other killed in Virginia Court (98 years ago)

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

A hundred years ago, two teenagers in rural southwest Virginia shared a seemingly innocent kiss that eventually led to a courtroom massacre that dominated the news until it was bumped from the front pages by the sinking of the Titanic.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

It's very obvious here, that if the courtroom had had some no guns allowed signs, the whole event could have been prevented.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think that's an anniversary, they would be better off ingoring.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I think that's an anniversary, they would be better off ingoring.
    Ignoring?

I can tell you're not from SWVA.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Ignoring?

I can tell you're not from SWVA.

Seriously, Hatfield vs. McCoy feud ring any bells?

I've never been within 300 miles, but I know if you start a fight in the Allegheny, Smoky or Ozark mountains, expect your grandchildren to finish it.
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    Seriously, Hatfield vs. McCoy feud ring any bells?

I've never been within 300 miles, but I know if you start a fight in the Allegheny, Smoky or Ozark mountains, expect your grandchildren to finish it.
    Now if you think the Scot-Irish in this neck of the woods hold a feud, check out our roots. Re: my Clan see: http://tinyurl.com/39jm3sv

America’s most historic feud, the Hatfield and McCoy saga which [lasted] decades in eastern Kentucky, looks somewhat like a Sunday afternoon picnic when compared to the Maxwell family’s legendary feud with its Scottish borderland neighbors, the Johnstones. The feud lasted about a century, reached out to include many other families of the region, and brought the deaths of key members of both the Maxwells and the Johnstones.

The Johnstones and Maxwells competed for primacy in the Scottish borderland throughout the 16th century, with the chiefs of each family serving at various times as Wardens of the West March. It was an era in which reiving and fighting were parts of everyday life, and conflict between these two strong families produced fodder for songs and poems as well as for the history books.

The feud had smouldered for decades with periodic episodes of violence, but it burst into full flame early in the 1590s when a Johnstone reiver known as the Galliard stole a horse from the Crichtons of Sanquhar Castle. Unfortunately for the Galliard, he stole the wrong horse and wound up escaping on an old, blind nag instead of the swift mare he had expected. The Crichtons easily caught him, and he was lynched from a nearby tree. That aroused the Johnstones, because the Galliard was a favorite among his clan, and they killed more than a dozen men while rampaging through Nithsdale in retribution.
    Note: as a member of Clan Maxwell Society of the USA, I have permission to re-post more than the 1st paragraph of this document.

BTW -- some historians estimate that nearly 1000 died in this feud over the century -- it was clearly hundreds, with many of lesser rank unrecorded.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links