PA maintains "duty to retreat"

This is a discussion on PA maintains "duty to retreat" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sorry, I've been thinking about this thread for three hours and I can't get my head around Jon's thoughts. If someone came into my house ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PA maintains "duty to retreat"

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Sorry, I've been thinking about this thread for three hours and I can't get my head around Jon's thoughts.

If someone came into my house illegally they would be DRT. I'll take my chances with the legal system rather than the hospital or coroner.

2. Remove Ads

The only time I would retreat, is if it is the best tactical move. We don't have those silly retreat laws here. Justifiable homicide is authorized to prevent an attempted felony.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Elect Democrats........Get stupid laws

3D
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Although it might seem foolhardy and cowardly, I would consider retreating, even in my own home, if that were possible. Of course, this depends entirely on circumstances. If I had access to an outside door, and the weather was not bad, and also assuming that no family members were around (generally the case), then I would go outside (armed), and call the police.
    So my question is: once you're "outside" how does the castle doctrine law protect you?
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Yes, this is true too. I'm just saying I would consider these options first.
    It's one thing to consider the option on your own...it's a wholly different thing when you are mandated by the state to retreat first. I'll take the option that gives me the advantage and works best for me. It might be a "retreat"....it's might require me to go head-to-head, toe-to-toe
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I would assume that if a BG invades my occupied home with a weapon and intent to do me harm, he is smart enough to have someone watching the exit... It is wise to assume your adversary is as smart if not smarter than you. I feel in many cases it would be safer to stand your ground in a room where you can see the exits and entrances and have a phone (if you live alone with no kids at least) than to run outside into the unknown.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Since I am still on my property (I have several acres), the castle doctrine would seem to apply to me there as well. It just seems to me that sometimes (I'm not saying always), the option to retreat may be a better one.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    Governor elect Corbett has stated publicly & on the record and more than once that he will sign "Stand Your Ground" into law.

It passed the state Senate, 45-4, in October and the state House, 161-35, earlier this month Republican Gov.-elect Tom Corbett has said he would have signed it.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I might retreat as far as my bedroom. That's where my Mossberg, Home Defense 12 ga. loaded with 00 buck lives.

There's a ton of misconception flying around on this subject. We have "Castle Doctrine". The legislation vetoed by Rendell would be more accurately described as a "Stand Your Ground" law. Every article, blog, and opinion piece I've seen talks about how it would have "allowed" us to use deadly force outside our homes, as if we're not allowed to do that under current law. HB 1926 would not have changed the standard for justification one bit. It simply would have removed the "duty to retreat" (which only exists in public), and provided protection from civil action in the case of justified use of force.

I really wish all the so-called journalists, and columnists, that are spouting a bunch of nonsense would knock it off.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Governor elect Corbett has stated publicly & on the record and more than once that he will sign "Stand Your Ground" into law.

It passed the state Senate, 45-4, in October and the state House, 161-35, earlier this month Republican Gov.-elect Tom Corbett has said he would have signed it.
    Yup. I'm expecting either it goes thorugh the State House and Senate again during the next session and Corbett signs it, or a veto override vote.

Fitch

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    There's a ton of misconception flying around on this subject. We have "Castle Doctrine". The legislation vetoed by Rendell would be more accurately described as a "Stand Your Ground" law. Every article, blog, and opinion piece I've seen talks about how it would have "allowed" us to use deadly force outside our homes, as if we're not allowed to do that under current law. HB 1926 would not have changed the standard for justification one bit. It simply would have removed the "duty to retreat" (which only exists in public), and provided protection from civil action in the case of justified use of force.

I really wish all the so-called journalists, and columnists, that are spouting a bunch of nonsense would knock it off.
    I do too. Getting rid of the civil liability for performing a justified act is a big benefit.

Until it's passed it worth noting that we only have to retreat if we can do so with out increased risk to ourselves or those we would be justifiably protecting from death or grevious injury.

Fitch

People have such a poor idea of what a duty to retreat is that it is almost funny.

It is the duty to avoid conflict if you can do so with complete safety.

People who like to think with their 1911 instead of their head totally miss the point - it's not self defense if you could have avoided the situation, but instead put yourself in a position to make the use of force a more likely outcome.

People are not so handicapped in "duty to retreat" states as they like to believe.

Gee. Maybe seeking out quality information on this subject rather than news articles written by biased (Left or Right...) authors, or by instructors who's educational or training background in terms of law is questionable would help clear this stuff up?

I have no pitty for anyone who owns more than $1,500 of firearms, carries a gun, but hasn't taken a quality class in the use of lethal force if they end up on the wrong end of a prosecution.

Training is costly, but ignorance...that seems to be more precious than a diamond.

People don't want to be slapped in the face by the fact they aren't well informed. Too bad.

Get to learning if you don't want to be retreating.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Until it's passed it worth noting that we only have to retreat if we can do so with out increased risk to ourselves or those we would be justifiably protecting from death or grevious injury.
    Kind of.

Here's the actual language of the statute.
    (2) The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping or sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat; nor is it justifiable if:
    (i) the actor, with the intent of causing death or serious bodily injury, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or
    (ii) the actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:
    (A) the actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling or place of work, unless he was the initial aggressor or is assailed in his place of work by another person whose place of work the actor knows it to be; and
    (B) a public officer justified in using force in the performance of his duties or a person justified in using force in his assistance or a person justified in using force in making an arrest or preventing an escape is not obliged to desist from efforts to perform such duty, effect such arrest or prevent such escape because of resistance or threatened resistance by or on behalf of the person against whom such action is directed.

That statute is such form language that it leaves the field wide open for people to be justified in the use of force that you effectively have to be an agressive, ignorant fool to get screwed under that law.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links