PA maintains "duty to retreat" - Page 5

PA maintains "duty to retreat"

This is a discussion on PA maintains "duty to retreat" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Pinger Retreating in the face of a dirtbag only encourages the dirtbag, IMHO. It rewards and reinforces their bad behavior. As a ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinger View Post
    Retreating in the face of a dirtbag only encourages the dirtbag, IMHO. It rewards and reinforces their bad behavior. As a committed Christian I feel a duty to protect my family and to stand up against evil, at the same time trying to resolve the issues without undue escalation. I'd hold a weapon on the dirtbag first and order them to stop and get down on the ground and wait for police. If they choose to continue to threaten me and\or my loved ones they'll find someone who won't retreat and they will find an unpleasant end to what they themselves started.

I wonder what these public officials who say we have to retreat would say if they are told they have to retreat as well (they and their bodyguards) when they are attacked. I can imagine the caterwauling.
    What, pray tell, is your understanding of "duty to retreat" and what is it based on?

I'm curious, because it seems nothing you wrote has any bearing on the reality of what duty to retreat actually is, or how it is applied in real life in tactics or law...and I'd like to know were you were getting your information to make the evaluation you did.

Because you weren't just...I duno, making up the interpretation you have of duty to retreat that you apparently hold out of your personal feelings of the name of the doctrine...

I mean, that would be silly...

So. I'm sure you didn't do that, and I'd like to know how (your thought process, evaluation of things...that sort of stuff) you came to the conclusions you seem to hold.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinger View Post
    Retreating in the face of a dirtbag only encourages the dirtbag, IMHO. It rewards and reinforces their bad behavior. As a committed Christian I feel a duty to protect my family and to stand up against evil, at the same time trying to resolve the issues without undue escalation. I'd hold a weapon on the dirtbag first and order them to stop and get down on the ground and wait for police. If they choose to continue to threaten me and\or my loved ones they'll find someone who won't retreat and they will find an unpleasant end to what they themselves started.

I wonder what these public officials who say we have to retreat would say if they are told they have to retreat as well (they and their bodyguards) when they are attacked. I can imagine the caterwauling.

Duty to retreat doesn't mean you HAVE to retreat, you are all taking it too literally. If someone attacks you, you have no time to retreat, you stay and fight. However are out on the sidewalk in front of your house and your crazy neighbor is yelling at you from across the street and approaching, maybe even with a weapon, you should get inside your house and lock the doors. Then if he makes entry, game on. In a duty to retreat state you need to prove that you acted reasonably under the circumstances, showing that you had no intent to fight until it was brought to you would go along way.

But I'll ask, in a stand your ground state would you stay on the sidewalk, draw your weapon and stand your ground? Or would you try to avoid the fight altogether if possible? Answer carefully, then refer to the story that was posted here last week about the guy who stood his ground, on his driveway/sidewalk and was the one ended up having to defend himself in court, twice. I'm not criticizing his actions, but had he grabbed his wife and gone into the garage/house and gotten out of the fight his problems would have been largely avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    There wasn't enough time left. The veto was announced just a couple of days before the end of this year's legislative session.
    Actually, the bill was presented to the Gov on the last session day....so he could have vetoed it the next day and it could not have been overridden...

If you are, you can kill a bunch 11 gang members like Lance Thomas (in San Fran...yes, loony, liberal San Fran!) and not get in trouble for it.
    That would be Los Angeles, not San Fransicko and he only killed five armed robbers, not eleven. Finally, all of these incidents occurred within his place of business, not out in public.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Makes me wonder what he was thinking.
    He's thinking: RUN!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Next year our Republican controlled legislature and senate will pass it again. Our then Governor Tom Corbett (a 2A supporter) said he will sign it into law. This time it will be its own stand alone bill and not an amendment to another one.

Rendell is a moonbat. He vetoed it even though it passed both houses overwhelmingly and a majority of Pennsylvanians supported it. Luckily his butt is getting kicked out the door and we'll have Corbett in about a month

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links