Tahoe man kills 500 lb. bear in self-defense - Page 2

Tahoe man kills 500 lb. bear in self-defense

This is a discussion on Tahoe man kills 500 lb. bear in self-defense within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by HotGuns Who you gonna find to wrastle a 500 pound bear? It wouldn't be difficult. Among other subjects I am a MA ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tahoe man kills 500 lb. bear in self-defense

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Who you gonna find to wrastle a 500 pound bear?
    It wouldn't be difficult.

Among other subjects I am a MA certified 'Trapper Education' instructor, one of very few in this state, and am aligned toward instruction with the USFWS.
    My last course of instruction was October and our typical students are professional problem animal control agents and/or career wildlife mangers including among my students last the USDA.
    I am myself a MA licensed trapper, also very rare, and there are many options among rural areas where bear populations overlap to human, and vice versa.

First option is to call the local sherriff or police...Once again 9-1-1.

They almost always will have a line toward either a problem animal control agent/company that specializes in handling wildlife. Or will have state or fed governmental resources, such as and including contact to the district USFWS office/rep and/or a USFWS FLEO field officer (I instruct with the NE & Mid-ATL regions lead/managing USFWS FLEO).

Also every state has game wardens, I co instruct BHE with two MA Environmental Police Officers (game wardens), and among their duties they are called to conditions such as exactly like this.
    We actually cover this in our course work toward students.

This scenario is not at all an unusual happening for rural and rural abutting areas.
    I myself have had similar direct bear contact inside of a city (!) at Northampton, MA (I was in my car with my daughter) and you know what I did; Dialed 911 and told the NoHo police the condition, location and general attitude of the bear. They replied okay, we know this bear and will respond immediately...And that is what happened.
    Later that same bear was put down by MA EPO upon approaching a persons home and acting threatening....After the home owner called the local NoHo police (!).

So yeah with seriousness there are many viable non-confrontational low danger for the property owner options to take advantage of as related to wildlife intrusion/contact be it a bear, moose (3 yrs. ago one ambled onto one of the UMass parking lots), or even small animals such as fox, raccoon, coyote or in my case twice I have been called on to deal with bats and once a questionable fox toward properties I managed.

Best option is to back off quietly but directly.
    Dial 911...And leave the trappin'/shootin' and risk takin' to hired professional proxies that come prepared and know what they are doing...As related to wrasslin'.
    Every one of the now many trapper ed. courses I've taught have had nothing but Steve Irwin types among them, almost always they are professionals and certified toward same from other states including CT, VT, NH, MA, NY, PA and elsewhere beyond New England.

I would not ever think to confront any being of this size, outside of being distant in a field with a magnified view or up high in a treestand.

- Janq

After thought:
    This is not my trade, being an instructor...I am among the states system of _volunteer instructors_.
    Every one of us regardless of our backgrounds and employers are all as instructors volunteers and volunteering of our time, knowledge, and experience against what is a state (TE), national and internationally (BHE) standardized series of instructional programming. Our services as instructors are zero cost as being fully funded by the USFWS and matched at the state level by 50%.
    I've been a multi-subject matter instructor within this system going on four years now specifically encouraged to become an instructor by the USFWS and recruited to their team, as well as instructor Team Smith & Wesson.
    I'm also a certified BHE instructor in NH and as an adjunct under the International Hunter Education Association.
    Regardless of specific course type, instruction team, location or which state I'm teaching in...I very often as a default advise students when asked to leave wildlife alone as hands off when not actively hunting or trapping.
    Seek out professionals who know what they are doing and how to do so if/when you have contact with wildlife that otherwise might be a danger to human life.
    Honestly this should be common sense, but as we well know common sense is not at all common.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Agreed! 12-gauge slugs or .40 JHP I'm not doing that job. hasn't he ever heard the saying "let sleeping dogs lie"? I would think it applies to bears too.
    This. ^^

I hunt black bear using a .45-70 Marlin lever gun.
    I know for fact the regional MA EPOs run .30-30 Marlin lever guns toward bear response, not shotguns of any sort/chambering, even as they EDC .40 JHP...And it's not because of 'game laws' either.

Let sleeping dogs lie is a saying that didn't come about and hasn't endured for no reason.
    Seriously. Fight or flight response is not specific just to human beings, and the result can go either forward or back.

Glad that dude walked it off okay, but on the whole he got lucky.
    Every day for all instances of threats you gotta use your best judgment and stow possession pride in favor of staying alive, even as the intrusive threat might be four legged rather than two.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    did janq just say that wrestling a bear would not be difficult? remind me to never make him mad
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    did janq just say that wrestling a bear would not be difficult? remind me to never make him mad
    Not in a literal sense of course.

Figurative as in to take care of and resolve...By way of many options including a live trap (box/culvert) and/or to tranquilize, remove and replace into a more proper and distant habitat....Or simply providing it means to escape along with low danger motivation to leave such as a handheld air horn at safe distance.

- Janq

"Bears don't like surprises! Avoid startling a bear..." - http://www.nps.gov/ccso/bears.htm

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Who you gonna find to wrastle a 500 pound bear?

No kiddin!

If I'm going to voluntarily face off with a bear, I'm not doing it with anything less than an AA12 loaded w/FRAG-12 and a fresh pair of skivvies!

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    If I go into any space anywhere and I see a bear laying there, awake or asleep, the last thing I would think to do is to "shout" at it (!?).
    I would though reverse step soft & quiet as to _exit_ and from distance call the police to come in with some Steve Irwin type to wrassle it up for me.

- Janq
    I think the guy may have shouted at the bear to end the window repairs...lol.

!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links