Tahoe man kills 500 lb. bear in self-defense

This is a discussion on Tahoe man kills 500 lb. bear in self-defense within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tahoe man kills 500 lb. bear in self-defense By Matthew Renda The Union News Service Share on Facebook Email Print Comment Recommend Copyright 2010 The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tahoe man kills 500 lb. bear in self-defense

By Matthew Renda
    The Union News Service
    Share on Facebook Email Print Comment
    Recommend
    Copyright 2010 The Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. November, 30 2010 8:39 am

The Union
    TAHOE CITY — Wildlife officials confirmed this week that a Lake Tahoe man was legally acting in self defense when he used a shotgun to kill a 500-pound bear after the bruin allegedly attacked him 10 days ago inside his Lake Forest restaurant.

On the morning of Friday, Nov. 20, at 8 a.m., William Hunter, co-owner of Bacchi's Inn Restaurant, encountered the large bruin sleeping on the floor of the dining room.

H.H. Hunter, William's wife and restaurant co-owner, said the bear had repeatedly broken into the restaurant, causing more than $800 damage in broken windows over the course of the previous week.

H.H. Hunter said it was lucky her husband had a loaded shotgun he kept at the store due to the recent break-ins. When her husband shouted at the bear to ward him off the premises, the bear allegedly became aggressive and charged William, who was forced to discharge his weapon, killing the bruin.

“He so hated to kill the bear,” said H.H. Hunter. “It was a case of either him or the bear.”

Jason Holley, wildlife biologist supervisor for the North Central Region for the California Department of Fish and Game, confirmed the Hunters were well within their legal rights when shooting the bear.

“The business owner was defending himself,” said Holley. “I'm sure seeing an angry 500-pound wild animal was an intimidating sight.”

Holley said the Hunters had been in discussions with the agency prior to the final break-in and were seeking help with mitigation measures, such as installing electric bear wires around the windows and doors of the property.

Holley said the investigating officer reported nothing improper about the restaurant's trash storage. H.H. said the restaurant has been in her family for 78 years.

“For the most part, securing trash will prevent bears from breaking in, but sometimes there is nothing you can do,” Holley said.

Despite the life or death scenario, Hunter regrets the bear had to be killed.

“Bears are such magnificent animals,” she said.

http://www.theunion.com/article/2010...ntprofile=1053

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Hunters had been in discussions with the agency prior to the final break-in and were seeking help with mitigation measures
    This was good on his part. It shows that he was taking basic steps to stop the problem without shooting everything in sight. Smart!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Good on them for trying to avoid having to kill the bear, but when you got no choice, you got no choice. I'm glad he wasn't hurt.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Good he wasn't hurt, although I'm sure that's a mess to clean up.

I'm glad he didn't believe in the right to arm bears.

Distinguished Member
    Wonder what load he was using...

If I go into any space anywhere and I see a bear laying there, awake or asleep, the last thing I would think to do is to "shout" at it (!?).
    I would though reverse step soft & quiet as to _exit_ and from distance call the police to come in with some Steve Irwin type to wrassle it up for me.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Who you gonna find to wrastle a 500 pound bear?

The only thing I'd wrastle it with is a couple of loads of double ought buck.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Bear steaks for dinner tonight!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post

By Matthew Renda
    The Union News Service
    Share on Facebook Email Print Comment
    Recommend
    Copyright 2010 The Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. November, 30 2010 8:39 am
    Dude, I think that you just violated the Forum rules. You had best delete this text, and just leave the link.

Let sleeping bears lay.....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

3D
    Ironic last name for the bear-killing restaurant owner don't ya think??!
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Who you gonna find to wrastle a 500 pound bear?
    A friend of mine is the county trapper in a neighboring county (in CA). I’d bet that all the surrounding counties have “trappers”. He shoots bears, cougars and plenty of coyotes on a regular basis. He’s even got a pack of dogs used for tracking the creatures that get too close to human society.

Note: I wouldn’t want to face a 500 lb bear w/ anything less than a slug in the shotty.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    If I go into any space anywhere and I see a bear laying there, awake or asleep, the last thing I would think to do is to "shout" at it (!?).
    I would though reverse step soft & quiet as to _exit_ and from distance call the police to come in with some Steve Irwin type to wrassle it up for me.

- Janq
    Agreed! 12-gauge slugs or .40 JHP I'm not doing that job. hasn't he ever heard the saying "let sleeping dogs lie"? I would think it applies to bears too.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I like bears, as well. Just not in my home. He (the owner) done good, bruin or not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Good he wasn't hurt, although I'm sure that's a mess to clean up.

I'm glad he didn't believe in the right to arm bears.

I see what you did there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links