Man sentenced to death for Petit home invasion murders

This is a discussion on Man sentenced to death for Petit home invasion murders within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thing is 3D...This is not the worst crime to have occurred, not by a long shot. It's very well known that the death penalty is ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man sentenced to death for Petit home invasion murders

Thing is 3D...This is not the worst crime to have occurred, not by a long shot.

It's very well known that the death penalty is NOT a deterrent; Hence it did not deter this guy nor his sidekick (!).

Further the triple victim father (he was assaulted and nearly killed himself, then he loses his entire family only to survive and have t relive the incident a third time...With a fourth to come toward the second trial) has already stated very _clearly_ that no punishment for this beast will even begin to equate to the punishment and loss that he AND his family suffered. He stated this real time to the world just over a week ago, and that was national news also featured her in another thread.

So again at the end of the day the death penalty as specific to this person considering that is _exactly_ what he'd wanted and desired as a personal escape for himself is in fact all about him (!), and the punishment lets him off light at that.

- Janq

"Just set him on fire." - RGC
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Maybe just some old jailhouse justice will prevail, a win win for all except the doctor
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Myabe if executions were carried out within 60 to 90 days of sentencing, the death penalty would again become a deterrent.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Myabe if executions were carried out within 60 to 90 days of sentencing, the death penalty would again become a deterrent.
    That would work, in theory.

Problem is in reality we every year are coming across more and more wrongful convictions of people who have been subjected to either life or the death penalty that for it's gotten to the point where one has to think okay lets re-examine things.
    Not the penalty itself but rather how folk end up at this station.

Clearly in this case the culprits have been caught and there is no doubt to that.
    But to call it broadly toward the death penalty, that is difficult to say the least.

Which brings us back once more to the idea that it dissuades persons from committing murder never mind heinous crimes be they murderous or not.
    The death penalty has been in play since Man's law was first established...And as based on historical fact rather than feeling; People continue to commit murder and heinous crimes annually with no end in sight.

The notion that the death penalty' as by example will dissuade future potential murderers rings hollow.
    It has rung hollow as far back as firing squads, hanging, public lashings, vivisection, 'Catherine Wheel' (breaking of the bones), disembowelment and being drawn apart at the limbs by ox.
    And this was back in time when if you were sentenced to death well that meant same day even possibly same hour immediate.

- Pontius Pilate
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by RGC View Post
    Just set him on fire.

If I were emperor the method/circumstances of execution would be the same as the murderer used to kill their victim. Victim raped, beaten and set on fire.......
    Last edited by F350; December 2nd, 2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelin

The pros and cons of the death penalty will be debated for years, but if anyone deserves it, this fellow has surely stepped up to the front of the line.

Good thing he doesn't reside in Texas, they would fry him as soon as possible.

Back in the days of the Samurai in Japan, they used to test swords on convicted criminals. Didn't deter crime, but probably gave them at least something to think about before committing them. Gave the sword-weilding Samurai some practice too.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Should do it like the Chinese! Bullet in the head immediately and send the bill for the bullet to his family!
    Or even better, do it like the Iranians (actually happened yesterday) where the victims family kicked away the chair under the convicted killer when she was hanged.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    ... however, it's much better than having tax payer dollars keeping him in prison for the rest of his life.
    Unfortunately, it cost more to keep him on death row for decades with all the appeals, than it would cost to keep him in prison for life.
    Last edited by mandalitten; December 3rd, 2010 at 08:29 AM.

Back before the last national ban on the death penalty, death row inmates were usually executed within 5 years of sentencing. The appeals process was much shorter and less convoluted as it is today. At that time, there were more than a few career criminals who steered away from Capital crimes because they did fear the death penalty.

Whether those who admitted that are to be believed is anyone's guess. And of course there are definitely those who never think that far in advance. However the last two people executed by hanging in Kansas before the ban on the death penalty were Richard Hickock and Perry Smith who killed the Clutter family in Holcomb, Kansas and were the subjects of the Truman Capote book "In Cold Blood." They committed the 4 murders in November of 1959. It took six weeks to capture them, and they were convicted and sentenced in March of 1960 after only 40 minutes deliberation of the jury at trial. They spent 5 years on death row and were executed April 14, 1965 after only 5 years on death row and were the last two executed in Kansas before the ban on the death penalty.

That seemed to be about the average time spent on death row back then, and ironically it was the Capote book which is given credit to being a catalyst to causing the ban on executions which followed shortly after the book circulated.

Now days, the average time spent on death row seems to be about 10-12 years. However in Texas, Joe Gonzales was executed after only 248 days on death row in 1996, and Steven Renfro was executed after spending 257 days on death row in 1998, while Sammie Felder and Excell White spent 23 and 24 years respectively.

I for one have mixed emotions over the death penalty. I'm not opposed to it, but I think there is a flawed and inherently expensive system in place for Capital crimes. I do know that prisoners with life sentences become geriatrics, the cost to house and care for them goes up exponentially, and extremely burdensome for taxpayers. As prisoners with life sentences grow into their seventies and eighties in age and their health and mobility deteriorates it seems foolish to keep wasting the taxpayers money.

I don't have an answer to the problem but it would seem that if we eliminate "life without parole" sentences and placed more on death row and executed them in a more timely fashion, it would be best all around.

JMHO, I'm basically just thinking out loud here.

One thing is for sure as far as I'm concerned, is Steven Hayes and his buddy should have been taking the dirt nap a long time ago.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I feel very sorry for the whole incident.

An alert Dad (or other family member) could have put an end to the whole thing before the nightmare began.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

s very well known that the death penalty is NOT a deterrent; Hence it did not deter this guy nor his sidekick
    If we adopted a more lets say inhumane way of dispatching scum then it could very well be a deterrent! Firing squad: lighting the scum on fire and after a few minutes shoot him....maybe!

VIP Member
    Utah still uses the firing squad, we just used it several months ago.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Utah still uses the firing squad, we just used it several months ago.
    didn't he request to be dispatched using firing squad?

VIP Member
    Yes, he did. I appreciate his request, it's much less expensive than a lethal injection.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The death penalty is no different than any other penalty, some will be deterred, some wil not. There is little doubt that whatever the penalty, more will be deterred, than if there was no such penalty.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links