Police investigate murder in Disney-developed town

This is a discussion on Police investigate murder in Disney-developed town within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/02/...ex.html?hpt=T2 (CNN) -- Police are investigating the first-ever homicide in a Disney-developed town in central Florida, officials said. Osceola County police responded Monday to an ...

Thread: Police investigate murder in Disney-developed town

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/02/...ex.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- Police are investigating the first-ever homicide in a Disney-developed town in central Florida, officials said.

Osceola County police responded Monday to an emergency call at an apartment building in Celebration, Florida, after speaking with a neighbor who said she found 58-year-old Matteo Giovanditto dead in his home, according to police spokeswoman Twis Lizasuain.

Osceola police classified the death as a homicide, based on evidence found at the scene, according to a police statement. The victim's car was found Tuesday in Kissimmee, Florida, about 10 miles east of Celebration.

It is the first murder in the picture-perfect town's 14-year history. Celebration's manicured lawns and classic movie theaters have drawn comparisons to the 1998 fictional drama, "Pleasantville," in which two teens find themselves trapped in a 1950s-style television show.

The town is located five miles south of Walt Disney World, among the world's largest and most visited resorts.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

It's sad, but crime is everywhere!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

3D
    Looks like there's been a 2nd death there by gunshot.

http://www.pennlive.com/newsflash/in...a54febefcc7143
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

VIP Member
    My ex, kids, and parents live in Celebration...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    My ex, kids, and parents live in Celebration...
    We once got off the wrong exit and ended up in Celebration. I will say it gave me the hibbie jibbies. Everything looked the same. Something right out of a movie set.

VIP Member
    It is indeed a strange place. I don't mind visiting, but I could never live there. They do have some good restaurants, a fine pub, and other little shops in the "downtown" area, and do lots of things for the community, especially during the holidays. The elementary school is top notch, but the HS serves a lot of the surrounding area of Osceola county and isn't nearly as good.

Just found out that the guy who killed himself was a passing acquaintance of my folks, and the step-father to children that my children knew. Sad that he passed his breaking point like that, sadder still that he endangered others on the way to taking himself out. I'm just glad he didn't hurt anyone else...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    We were there last winter. They had a Christmas themed "snow storm" that was really bubbles of dish soap. They coated the street with this stuff and allowed people to walk around in it. The restaurant we went to was first rate, but the place is a bit "unusual".
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

If you do not mind pass along the names of the restaurants. I have been to Disney Ca and FL (20 times) and always looking ofr something new. Would not mind spending sometime in Stepford aka Celebration. They have their own Downtown? you are not talking about downtown disney I assume.

VIP Member
    No, NOT downtown Disney. They have a hotel (the Bucs stay there during training camp), a small movie theater, a lake with paths, benches and the like, and a number of shops and eateries.

Seito is reasonable good Japanses.
    The Colombia is a pretty darned good Cuban/Spanish place - the original is in Ybor City (just east of Tampa) and is worth a trip for the building and the atmosphere (and the flamenco), but this one is good too. I LOVE the 1905 Salad.
    The diner (can't remember the name of it) is decent, but not spectacular.
    There's decent NY style pizza though, again, I can't remember the name of the place.
    There's a pretty good Thai place, Italian, and a good "old timey" candy and ice cream place as well.

All of these are within a two or three block stretch, as is Celebration Tavern and a few more restaurants I'm forgetting...

Links