Exactly why you should not keep your insurance and registration in your car.

This is a discussion on Exactly why you should not keep your insurance and registration in your car. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been preaching this to people that I know. Do not keep your insurance and registration (or other documents with home address on them) in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been preaching this to people that I know.

Do not keep your insurance and registration (or other documents with home address on them) in your car. Keep them in your wallet/purse.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...10/detail.html

CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- The Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office said burglars are hitting homes on weekdays during the daytime.

The Sheriff's Office sent an alert to the community that said the burglars are kicking or forcing open front and back doors.

The burglaries are happening in a three-mile area of Centennial along Smoky Hill Road between Chambers and Orchard roads.

"We really at this point don't have any suspects or any leads," said Capt. Louie Perea, with the Arapahoe County Sherifs' Office.

In one case, he said the burglars broke into a car at a local shopping center, stole the garage door opener and found the home address.

"The burglars broke into the home while the person was shopping," he said.

The crime alert told neighbors if they see a burglary, call the sheriff's office, do not make any contact or take any personal action.

Sheryl Hunt’s home is one of 19 homes burglarized in the area during the last two months.

"When I walked in, I happened to be on the phone with my older daughter and said, 'Oh my God, somebody's been in my house.' And she said, 'Get out. Call 911,'" said Hunt.

The burglars took her television, cash and sentimental jewelry.

"I had a ring that was my mother's," she said. "So, that's the No. 1 thing I am most sad to have lost."

But she said she’s also lost some peace of mind, so she had this piece of advice: "I've sent out e-mails to a lot of my local friends and neighbors to just certainly be sure you have your doors locked."
    So, why you are waiting for the police to arrive on what is now a low priority call to file a B&E on your car while shopping, your house/garage may very well be getting cleaned out, then you get to make another call to the police, and sit around and wait to file another report, plus the two calls to the insurance company. I have better things to do with my time.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

There is no way im not going to take action if someone unwelcome is in my house with a weapon.If they can bust trough the steel windows and out shoot me in my own home,against a 12 gauge, .45 and .500 magnum,be my guest and take whatever.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    There is no way im not going to take action if someone unwelcome is in my house with a weapon.If they can bust trough the steel windows and out shoot me in my own home,against a 12 gauge, .45 and .500 magnum,be my guest and take whatever.
    I think Stick's point is that if they jack your car, your house would be their first stop, and you likely won't be there.

I see the point, and keep a copy of ins and reg in my wallet, but I also leave it in my glove box, because I'm not the only one who may be driving my car. Flipping the keys to a friend or family member is not an uncommon occurance, and they'll need that info. I'll take all reasonable steps to not become a victim, but I still see the value in keeping this info with your vehicle.

'Good thought, Sticks - 'Just not for me.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    There was one of those chain emails that went around claiming a car thief stole a car, used the gps to go to the owner's home, used the garage opener to get inside and ran sack the place....

I would think it better to hide or lock up those papers because they become necessary of you are pulled over. You also need to keep in mind if someone ever borrows your car they need the papers in case they are pulled over
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

3D
    Ins. papers & registration in the glove box for above reasons....but the garage opener is only in the vehicle when I am.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The door from my garage into my house is one of the most secure outer doors in my house since it has no glass. I keep it locked. If they got to my house there would be easier ways in. The garage door opener wouldn't get them much except extra time out of view if they closed themselves in.

Same reason to NOT enter your real address as "home" on your GPS. You know how to get to your own home, so enter the local police station address under "home," or pick something else like a commercial address.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Goes to show how quickly and easily your whole life can be turned upside down and inside out.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Same reason to NOT enter your real address as "home" on your GPS. You know how to get to your own home, so enter the local police station address under "home," or pick something else like a commercial address.
    Good idea! You can also use an intersection near your home as a "home address". Once you get to the intersection, if you don't know your way home, you have worse problems!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Ex Member
    NEVER would have thought of that.

Seems like there are many ways to get screwed. Even if you don't keep your important paperwork in the car, perhaps you got the mail on the way to work and it's still in the seat.....silly stuff that most people don't think of, but when the bad guy is there it's laying right out in the open.

I know I probably have an ad in my truck that I used to get the right price at a store last week.....it's probably floating around in the floorboard.....and it was mailed to me, even though I'm sure it just says "current resident" it still has my addy. Cleaning loose papers out of my truck is not really how I like to spend my free time, call me a slob, I don't care. There are no keys or garage openers in my truck, so why is my address any more useful to them than anyone else's?? It's not really the address that's important, it's the keys or garage openers that some people leave in their cars.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    If you other crazy states would only follow suit as GA does it. We are not required to carry insurance and stuff in our cars, It is all stored in database somewhere. Only need a drivers license and a GFL if you are packing physically on your person. Dont need a GFL to carry in car, only on your flesh.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I have a Center Mass gun safe in each vehicle which are keyed identically, might start keeping documents in there.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I have a Center Mass gun safe in each vehicle which are keyed identically, might start keeping documents in there.
    THAT'S not going to make an officer nervous on the side of the road.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I think Stick's point is that if they jack your car, your house would be their first stop, and you likely won't be there.

I see the point, and keep a copy of ins and reg in my wallet, but I also leave it in my glove box, because I'm not the only one who may be driving my car. Flipping the keys to a friend or family member is not an uncommon occurance, and they'll need that info. I'll take all reasonable steps to not become a victim, but I still see the value in keeping this info with your vehicle.

'Good thought, Sticks - 'Just not for me.
    Simple resolution, keep a spare copy on you for when you lend the car to a friend or family, and anyone who regularly drives the vehicls (ie, spouse, offspring, parents) can have their own copy. Here's the thing, you said you would take reasonable steps to not become a victim, keeping your docs in the vehicle is a reasonable step in the opposite direction. Not only does it present a reasonable threat to your home, it also allows a theif to have the ability to present your info to any patrol stops and provide a reasonable, however untrue, excuse to be borrowing your vehicle. "Yessir, here is the reg and ins, _____ said i could borrow the car."

Just better to keep those docs in hand and under your control.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links