Death of a Warrior SFC Jimmy Thode

This is a discussion on Death of a Warrior SFC Jimmy Thode within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am devestated, I am crying. I was jimmy's Plt Sgt for 7 years. I have pictures of him on my Den, One when we ...

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

I am devestated, I am crying. I was jimmy's Plt Sgt for 7 years. I have pictures of him on my Den, One when we were swimming track across one of the rivers someplace and I had just radioed the platoon saying, "Hey, remember you're in the low bid." His track suddenly tipped and I happened to snap apic at that moment, it righted but you can see him in the T C's hatch ready to unass. The second is a pic of us winning the 6th Army Light Machine Gun Championship at Ft. Ord.
    Jimmy was comissioned a Lieutenant and I was pleased to give him his first salute.
    He went inactive and had a break in service because of his police work in Farmington New Mexico. He made the invasion of Iraq as an NCO and had volunteered for A Stan as part of the build up. So far the word I have is he was killed by an IED but if anyone here can get me a better AAR I'd certainly appreciate it.
    I'm old but I've been truying to do my part by rturning to training with Mas Ayoob and giving that training for free at Ft. Huachuca through the inter-agency program of military-police. Jimmy was planning to have his Farmington P D unit go through the training when he came back.

He certainly sounds like a warrior, may he Rest In Peace.

I ran a quick google search, looks like he was part of a route clearance platoon, those guys always have some big ones, because their sole purpose is to find IEDs and disable them before one of us poor grunts steps on them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My God Bless you and heal the wounds of your loss and that of Lt. Thode's family. He is in a better place now but I'm sorry to hear that he had to go so soon.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Threefeathers: as another old soldier, I understand the mixture of pride/grief/anger/shock/dismay/determination/pride. May our Lord comfort you in the midst of the upheaval and may you have the strength to love his family well.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Here is a pic of him as a young 19D goofing off as we prepared for a night patrol.

Hand Salute to another brother.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

7 Days and Jimmy's body has been taken to Bethsada for an autopsy. So I will release memorial information as I hear from his Dad.

Links