How to dispose of a house full of explosives? - Page 2

How to dispose of a house full of explosives?

This is a discussion on How to dispose of a house full of explosives? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 3D So . . does everyone here really know their neighbors well enough to be sure this is the only home like ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to dispose of a house full of explosives?

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    So . . does everyone here really know their neighbors well enough to be sure this is the only home like this?
    That's the scary thing right there. I feel like my neighbors within two houses of me I do, but not the ones behind me.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    If we get really lucky, it will start a chain reaction that will cause CA. to disengage itself from the continental U.S. Then I can sell my ocean front property in Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    So . . does everyone here really know their neighbors well enough to be sure this is the only home like this?

Oh, and here's another reassuring thought: "How the alleged bank robber obtained the chemicals and what he planned to do with them remain mysteries."
    No we don't.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    If we get really lucky, it will start a chain reaction that will cause CA. to disengage itself from the continental U.S. Then I can sell my ocean front property in Nevada.
    Thanks, we love you too.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Janq/WHEC - thanks. I've been toying with the idea of writing a bunch of our more interesting vignettes into a little book. Not for actual publication, but as a sort of written record/memento of the three years I've got in Iraq/Afghanistan now between my "two jobs." And yes, there are lots of stories out there that would blow the mind of the best fiction writers... :)
    Wow, great story. I'd bet SSG M could tell it better! Starting with "So...my dumb captain tells me to..." ;). I'd recommend writing down the stories now, before you forget them. I wrote detailed summaries of all the missions I flew, along with the names, dates, and places. some of the write-ups were really short ofc, but others are a good read. I don't know what I'll ever do with them, but at least I have the truth data on paper for whatever I decide to do. Memories are short and often get distorted as you well know.
    Last edited by rstickle; December 12th, 2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Language Workaround

VIP Member
    Indeed. This was five years ago now already, but I (like you) wrote down details as they happened, as well as notes from AARs after each significant incident. Also no idea what I'll ever do with them (except gross people out at dinner parties ), but I have a fair amount of "history" already on paper...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I think I'll pop some popcorn, grab a brew and drive down there and...no, maybe not.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Janq/WHEC - thanks. I've been toying with the idea of writing a bunch of our more interesting vignettes into a little book. Not for actual publication, but as a sort of written record/memento of the three years I've got in Iraq/Afghanistan now between my "two jobs." And yes, there are lots of stories out there that would blow the mind of the best fiction writers... :)
    I can envision pretty much your whole story, I love how no one has asked what a jingle truck is yet, those things are funny, we need em in CONUS.

You should publish your book, I'd be interested in it.

I've got my own crazy stories, but my career isn't nearly as distinguished as yours yet, sir, despite you being in the Army.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    It's not enough that Navy spanks us today, you gotta take another jab?

And don't sell yourself short - my career isn't so much distinguished as it is looooong.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

It's not enough that Navy spanks us today, you gotta take another jab?

And don't sell yourself short - my career isn't so much distinguished as it is looooong.
    You should be used to Navy winning that game. I mean, I'm not sure Army has won since I've been alive.

I always liked kicking it with EOD, we had some pretty good techs, and they liked to have fun, and were fearless. Yeah, I've done some stuff, I'm still young, got a long way to go before I write my memoirs.

Back onto topic, I really think that burning it was about the most effective way to dispose of all of it. They types of explosives in that home, if not made to the proper ratios using proper procedures, can explode just by handling, and sometimes stability degrades with age. Without knowing the specifics, the bomb squad can't safely remove them from the house.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    After a few months of this, we became rather cavalier about handling rockets, mortars, mines, recoilless rifle rounds, rocket propelled grenades, and all the other assorted goodies that we would find. (As a side note – military ordnance is inherently pretty darned stable – even the Russian and Chinese that we most commonly dealt with. A 107mm rocket simply isn’t going to go off because you drop it, assuming that it hasn’t been fused/primed or damaged in some way…)
    Be careful with that attitude.... That's why you have EOD folks. What you said is true for the most part, just be thankful that you've probably never run across some of the WW I or WW II Japanese stuff, they used a picric acid based main charge that gets REALLY sensitive as it ages, and fuzed or not has nothing to do with it.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Yeah, I know... I mentioned that it was "cavalier," not "smart."

And had we had EOD immediately on call, it might have been a different matter; as it was, there were just the two Estonian guys, and they had to cover two full provinces (plus). It often took two days or more for them to get to us - two days where we had to cease operations and sit on the cache. I took to snatching an engineer from the attached ENG platoon for our missions whenever I could... I know that they don't have nearly the expertise of EOD technician, but they could at least offer some advice.

Lead Moderator
    had we had EOD immediately on call, it might have been a different matter; as it was, there were just the two Estonian guys.
    Yea, I know and that was meant as a general comment. I know there has and will probably be a shortage of EOD Techs, even though there are a lot more out in the field than there were when I was on active duty. Back in my day there were probably less than 1000 Army wide in the field at any one time, and most of the time the other services stayed on their bases unless there was an agreement.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links