Canadian woman in Caribbean fights off pirates with a flare gun

This is a discussion on Canadian woman in Caribbean fights off pirates with a flare gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://niagarafallsreview.ca/Article...aspx?e=2877031 A 24-year-old Ontario woman who witnessed the murder of her father, a St. Catharines resident, aboard his yacht off Honduras managed to fight off ...

Thread: Canadian woman in Caribbean fights off pirates with a flare gun

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Canadian woman in Caribbean fights off pirates with a flare gun

http://niagarafallsreview.ca/Article...aspx?e=2877031

A 24-year-old Ontario woman who witnessed the murder of her father, a St. Catharines resident, aboard his yacht off Honduras managed to fight off marauding pirates with a flare gun, a relative says.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member
    I don't have one but I always thought a flare gun MAY be something to own.

To bad about her father, sounds like she didn't panic and held them off until help arrived. Wonder if you can carry a Speargun ? I'm guessing with a permit or proper license you can. That would be a permit I'd have to get if there was no firearm on board for those two legged fish.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

flare guns aren't very accurate,they are made to fire a flare up,no rifling in the barrel,but I guess a ball offire getting unleashed in your direction would make ya think twice about closing the gap
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    It drives me nuts to read about these types of stories.

Its very sad to hear,but at the same time, people need to consider the risk involved, and really justify the need to go to these places.
    There is an inherent risk when going into these types of situations, and if another alternative/place which would be safer, or less problematic, then that would be my choice.
    To many times you read about pirates, and I think people just continue to hold the idea that bad things only happen to bad people.

Glad she had the fortitude to ward off evil.
    Last edited by oneshot; December 6th, 2010 at 08:09 PM.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    flare guns aren't very accurate,they are made to fire a flare up,no rifling in the barrel,but I guess a ball offire getting unleashed in your direction would make ya think twice about closing the gap
    Well goodness gracious me... If someone was sending great balls of fire my way I must admit I would be quite beside myself.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Search youtube for a video called "Rounds of Authority", an LEO training vid about shotgun rounds. They show a 12ga flare shot into 10% gel. Interesting.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The lady did good. Intelligent use of resources.

There's different sizes of flares. (Humph. Good thing I double checked, there's a lot of new flares out, and the powerful ones are harder to come by, so my experience counts for little.) A 12G flare is very weak, and might be a little startling if it came at you, but I know people who have been hit with them. No biggy, small bruise at most. I found one rocket flare that had a max elevation of 1500 feet, that might be lethal if it hit someone. Other flares are different brightnesses, and the hottest ones might set your boat on fire if you were on the receiving end. But, the things are not intended to be weapons, and they are as "safe" as the manufacturer can make them (not very, I bet). I'd stick with an M1 Garand, if I had a choice in the matter. (More likely to be accepted as a "shark rifle" than an M1A, and less likely to be stolen by Customs.)

Spear guns? Mine turns the spear sideways at about 4 feet. I'd want to try some out, and try the different spears and points, before thinking any was a good self defense weapon in atmosphere.

Links