Bad: Virginia Man arrested for Brandishing...his finger (MERGED) - Page 2

Bad: Virginia Man arrested for Brandishing...his finger (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Bad: Virginia Man arrested for Brandishing...his finger (MERGED) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by merlin82plus By the book, maybe. I feel for the guy in his experience with the rent-a-cops, reminds me of some TSA stories. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin82plus View Post
    By the book, maybe. I feel for the guy in his experience with the rent-a-cops, reminds me of some TSA stories. But when a real cop asks for my license I will show it to him, if I have it - car or no car. Your approach to a situation like this has a way of influencing the outcome. Skidmark got the crappy end of the stick (no pun intended) but he helped push it in that direction, IMHO.
    I understand how you feel, and I respect that. However, I applaud people who will accept no infringement of their rights. Maybe if enough people did this somehow our rights would be respected. Maybe not. Man can dream
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

The problem as I see it, was when he asked to leave the scene. After he left, it was a one sided story and who knows what the security guards said.

I guess he'll have to wait till his day in court to find out.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

One thing stories like have convinced of, when I get home I am getting a mini digital recorder and will turn it on ANYTIME I am having an “official” interaction. I think I have seen one that looks like a ballpoint pen, gonna hafta to some web searches.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    One thing stories like have convinced of, when I get home I am getting a mini digital recorder and will turn it on ANYTIME I am having an “official” interaction. I think I have seen one that looks like a ballpoint pen, gonna hafta to some web searches.
    In some places the law requires you to make the person aware that you are recording.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    It's an unfortunate thing that this guy is going through. If that measly security guard asked to search me or my car, I'd simply decline and just leave. He/she is no position to order me to stay in his/her area of control. If I stay, it's my word against his/hers. Not worth risking my permit/gun rights over something trivial like that. Stuff like this is also another reason why I personally prefer to not open-carry.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    BS like this is why I don't open carry. How unfortunate. And I do hope he wins and then sues the sheriff and that rent a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    The problem as I see it, was when he asked to leave the scene. After he left, it was a one sided story and who knows what the security guards said.

I guess he'll have to wait till his day in court to find out.
    I would say that was problem #2

Problem #1 was the guy going out of his way not to avoid getting into a heated dispute while visibly armed but instead going out of his way to get in one.

He should have just left instead of stopping to complain to the supervisor. At least if he knows he has a short temper and his own attorney posting about the incident appears to confirm that he indeed does. In the Attorneys own words his client "may be more easily offended by the bullying of petty tyrants that other people."

So far of course there is only ONE side of the story, the side trying to rally the troops and raise money for skidmark.

I personally would be much more likely to handle the situation differently in order to avoid such nastiness. I may or may not be inclined to exit my car. If not, I'd leave. No words, no arguing, no pointing. I'd write a letter and send it. People tend to respond to professional correspondence much better. If a police officer asks me for my identification, I'd likely be inclined to show it to them whether I am required to or not. If they ask me for my carry permit, I'd likely show it to them whether I was required to have one to OC or not. At some point, I would say, "You know who I am and that I have a squeeky clean record legally carrying a firearm in a safe manner. Am I being detained? If so, I will not say another word without an attorney. If not, am I free to go?" Go from there. Remain calm at all times.

Regardless of how I would have handled it, I have a dog in this fight because it could happen to any of us. An injustice is being done to a citizen who shares common beliefs and supports something that is important and valuable to us. I support him, financially and otherwise.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Unfortunately, and having worked in the system..... even I , myself, have had "conversation" with similar type LEO's......

There are some, that think the "badge" or power, makes them the LAW. They are idiots. It's unfortunate that any citizen has to deal with them. Hope he gets a good attorney and fights it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I personally would be much more likely to handle the situation differently in order to avoid such nastiness. I may or may not be inclined to exit my car. If not, I'd leave. No words, no arguing, no pointing. I'd write a letter and send it. People tend to respond to professional correspondence much better. If a police officer asks me for my identification, I'd likely be inclined to show it to them whether I am required to or not. If they ask me for my carry permit, I'd likely show it to them whether I was required to have one to OC or not. At some point, I would say, "You know who I am and that I have a squeeky clean record legally carrying a firearm in a safe manner. Am I being detained? If so, I will not say another word without an attorney. If not, am I free to go?" Go from there. Remain calm at all times.

Regardless of how I would have handled it, I have a dog in this fight because it could happen to any of us. An injustice is being done to a citizen who shares common beliefs and supports something that is important and valuable to us. I support him, financially and otherwise.

I agree with most of the first part of your post, with the exception of I would not under any circumstances in any situation where the cops were called on me play the "Am I being detained, am I free to go" game. That appears to be exactly what skidmark did and it didn't work out well for him.

As already noted if you go that route then you are leaving the person who called the cops on you to be the sole source of what THEY say happened.

On the last half of the post, I think I would wait to hear BOTH sides of the story before deciding if an injustice has been done. So far there is only very sketchy info on what happened and the only thing that can definitely be determined from the story so far is that Skidmark displays poor judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
    I agree with most of the first part of your post, with the exception of I would not under any circumstances in any situation where the cops were called on me play the "Am I being detained, am I free to go" game. That appears to be exactly what skidmark did and it didn't work out well for him.

As already noted if you go that route then you are leaving the person who called the cops on you to be the sole source of what THEY say happened.

On the last half of the post, I think I would wait to hear BOTH sides of the story before deciding if an injustice has been done. So far there is only very sketchy info on what happened and the only thing that can definitely be determined from the story so far is that Skidmark displays poor judgment.
    Notice I said, "AT SOME POINT." I am a very calm, rational, and patient person. I will be very cooperative, show respect as well as the items, but I'm not going to stand around for an hour either. At some point (a reasonable length of time), there's either an issue or there's not. If there is, then you have a right to know if you are being detained so you can call a lawyer.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links