Montana Honor Student Faces Expulsion for Leaving Hunting Rifle in Car at School

Montana Honor Student Faces Expulsion for Leaving Hunting Rifle in Car at School

This is a discussion on Montana Honor Student Faces Expulsion for Leaving Hunting Rifle in Car at School within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; On the morning of Dec.1, Demari DeReu drove to Columbia Falls High School in Montana and parked her blue-green Honda Accord in the lot, just ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Montana Honor Student Faces Expulsion for Leaving Hunting Rifle in Car at School

On the morning of Dec.1, Demari DeReu drove to Columbia Falls High School in Montana and parked her blue-green Honda Accord in the lot, just as she does every morning. The 16-year-old honor roll student, class treasurer and varsity cheerleader walked in to school, forgetting entirely about the unloaded hunting rifle locked in the trunk of her car.

Later that day, there was an announcement telling students contraband sniffing dogs were scouting the parking lot, sparking her memory. She immediately told administrators that she’d forgotten to remove her scoped hunting rifle from the trunk following a Thanksgiving family hunting excursion.

She was suspended from school for violating federal and state gun laws.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/09...#ixzz17gFooF4f
    When asked if the fans that ran on the field naked were men or women, Yogi replied "I don't know, they had bags over their heads."

More stupid zero tolerance and federal arm twisting.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I'm not sure why she told administrators about the gun.

She probably thought the dog(s) would sniff it out.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Pretty cut and dry to my eye.

It is in fact a Federal offense and has been since the time of her grandparents being in HS.
    This is not an obscure item of law...Never mind state law and/or school policy.
    She should have ditched school, moved her car and by that suffered detention or whatever.

If you gonna bring guns to school...Park _off campus_.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Times have changed! When I was in high school (Nebraska, early 70's) every pickup in the parking lot had a shotgun and a .30-30 in the back window. They all had the keys in the ignition also.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Moderator
    I'm not sure why she told administrators about the gun.
    She did it because she thought it was the right thing to do.

She had no idea of how stupid things can get when fear is involved and it will likely screw up her life.

Never mind it was an oversight with no ill intent.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I can remember everybody bringing guns to school to go hunting right after class let out in the mid 70's,I wouldn't wanta be caught with a forked stick and rubber bands nowadays,or they would charge you with materials that could be used to make an offensive weapon
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    She fits the profile of being a most dangerous criminal. Just look at her in this photo below:

Is that not the face of a hardened criminal?

Thank goodness the federal government is protecting us from such threats to public safety.

Kinda dumb on her part... I would have moved my car an taken detention...

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    She fits the profile of being a most dangerous criminal. Just look at her in this photo below:

Is that not the face of a hardened criminal?

Thank goodness the federal government is protecting us from such threats to public safety.
    Ummm don't you remember the perp walk of a murderer a few weeks ago? the young kid? who was smiling and just looked like he won a spelling bee? criminal has no face
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    She did it because she thought it was the right thing to do.

She had no idea of how stupid things can get when fear is involved and it will likely screw up her life.

Never mind it was an oversight with no ill intent.
    Right on!

In fact, Tennessee has this badly worded 'law' that says a person can bring a gun on school grounds if they don't take it out of the car, don't handled it or allow anyone else to handle it. You'd think that means what it says, but it doesn't. The attorneys have taken the position that if a person is unaware the gun is in the car then the law applies.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    at what point do we accept oversight as an excuse for breaking the law and how many real criminals use it as an excuse?....forget your gun is holstered on your waist and walk into airport security with it...yeah...i know its stupid but so is bringing a gu to school because you forgot it was in your car....

I can remember in grade school, sixth grade as I remember, I "bought" a big shotgun from a classmate, who brought it to school, on the bus, and I took it home on the bus. Where does common sense prevail???

I had two guys at my high school who, while they were still in high school, had their own local hunting show. One of them once left a shotgun and a box of shells in his truck. School officials called him to the office and he had someone come remove them. Problem solved.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    at what point do we accept oversight as an excuse for breaking the law and how many real criminals use it as an excuse?....forget your gun is holstered on your waist and walk into airport security with it...yeah...i know its stupid but so is bringing a gu to school because you forgot it was in your car....
    When it's obvious it was safe, there was no threat to anyone, she had no 'agenda', she did not touch it, move it, it was unloaded, and it was an oversight, and not a deliberate act.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links