For all those who use birdshot for HD

This is a discussion on For all those who use birdshot for HD within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Lewis128 Hmmm maybe birdshot wasn't his first choice, but rather what was handy at the time. It's possible. I really don't intend ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For all those who use birdshot for HD

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Hmmm maybe birdshot wasn't his first choice, but rather what was handy at the time.
    It's possible. I really don't intend to defend myself against anything larger than a raccoon with a .22, but they are both loaded and available when I'm home. Wouldn't be my first choice, but ya just never know
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

2. Remove Ads

Humm, good point made on the "heavier clothing" the burglar was wearing. I may recheck what I'm using in winter. I have # 3's.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Keep at least the first round 00 Buck, you can always rack it out if the danger is a raccoon.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

""I've got long hair and tattoos and I just got off parole, so I'm the bad guy automatically," he said."

Uh, that and you broke into someone's house and got caught.

How dare that home owner shooting someone who entered his house in the middle of the night. The intuder has rights also, come on guys dont be too harsh. I am sure his freinds and family will be interviewed and we will all see he is a great guy who is misunderstood.

birdshot is for brids
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

At my house the first 6 rounds are double-00, and the last two are rifled slugs, just in case the guy is wearing REALLY HEAVY clothing.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

'But the injured suspect, recovering at Spectrum Health Butterworth hospital after being shot in the hand, buttocks and side"

Get a good hit, it makes a lot of difference.

3D
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    'But the injured suspect, recovering at Spectrum Health Butterworth hospital after being shot in the hand, buttocks and side"

Get a good hit, it makes a lot of difference.
    __________^ THIS ^____________________________

I was taught that within 10ft you DO need to aim the shotgun as if it were a rifle because the pattern hasn't traveled far enough to 'open up' yet.
    ______even more so with 00 buckshot having fewer pellets.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

VIP Member
    Within any range you need to aim a shotgun. To what extent that "aim" needs to be is a function of many things, but it still needs to be aimed.

As for this:
    But the injured suspect, recovering at Spectrum Health Butterworth hospital after being shot in the hand, buttocks and side
    perhaps if a more appropriate defensive load was being used, the "hand" hit would have gone through the hand and into whatever (his chest?) was behind it. Ditto the "side..." the side of what? The side of the chest is just as good as the front, IF you are using a round/shot with sufficient penetration. And what's on the other side of the "buttocks?" Quite possibly the pelvic bones - break/crush those with an qdequate load, and the threat will very likely not be able to stand (though he may still be a threat, depending on the curcumstances). But, to penetrate the, um...butt...you (again) need an appropriate defensive load. Birdshot, quite simply, does NOT have sufficient penetration and is inadequate as a defensive load. Had those same three hits been with heavy buck/slug, the BG would be likely be telling a significantly different story...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member
    There is no way I would choose birdshot for defense. Why would I use a round designed to take down a 3# duck on a 200# human?

That said, if it's all I have at hand, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it, as least to give me time retreat to safety or to a better gun.

This is what I suspect is the case here. That's what he had, and he used it. Good for him!

Going against the grain here, although I am not a fan of using birdshot for self defense...The man in this case though was functional in that he both _STOPPED_ the threat AND he dissuaded him from wanting to fool with him further as in to re-group and come back for a second try in the immediate.

I sure as heck would not want to be hit int he hand or anywhere with birdshot.

Since Dick Cheney shot him, Harry Whittington's aim has been to move on
    By Paul Farhi
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, October 14, 2010
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101307173.html

You guys are looking at this as though he is a failure because the birdshot failed to either incapacitate and/or kill him; To which both are secondary to actually STOPPING a threat.
    Had the man chosen to simply hold his gun in hand and tell the man with his voice to 'STOP!...LEAVE NOW!' and if the threat had done so, then that too would be functional and just the same in net end result.
    The threat stopped in the immediate and ceased thereafter.

Lets not lose sight of the big picture.

We don't hope to wound/injure and/or kill threats.
    Our primary goal is to STOP the threat as in the immediate, and our hope is to dissuade the threat from continuing/re-grouping toward a follow on effort in the moments and seconds after what is the immediate.

That said though; Again I like the rest of you would not encourage use of birdshot and/or target loads for defense of ones self against beings that are ostrich sized or larger in mass.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    birdshot is for brids

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^

And 00 buck is for knuckledraggers

Quote Originally Posted by roadrage64 View Post

^^^^^^^^Yeah^^^^^^^^^

No doubt about it.

48 year old scumbag, with a rap sheet counting 10, dating from 1984 to present.

What an oxygen waster.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The smaller the gauge number, the larger the barrel. What would a ".12G" bore work out to? "Garbage can"?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links