Good: Woman uses BG's gun on him

This is a discussion on Good: Woman uses BG's gun on him within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pittsburgh Post Gazette story ...She turned over all she had, which was just change, as well as a personal item, Mr. Schurman said. The woman ...

Thread: Good: Woman uses BG's gun on him

Good: Woman uses BG's gun on him

Pittsburgh Post Gazette story

...She turned over all she had, which was just change, as well as a personal item, Mr. Schurman said.

The woman then fought with the man, disarmed him and shot him. Then, she called 911 and waited for police to arrive, Mr. Schurman said....
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I remember seeing this on the news when it first happened. Don't know anymore details all I could think was what kinda gangster has a girl take away his gun and kill him with it?? It is a shame that someone so young was killed BG or not I think someone failed him horribly in his life.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Life and living lessons by proxy...

...Killed in the incident about 12:05 a.m. was Dwain Heath Jr., 17, of Munhall.

According to Mr. Schurman, the woman told detectives she had gone to a convenience store within a few blocks of her home and made a purchase. As she was walking in an alley in the rear of the 800 block of Ravine Street, Mr. Heath approached her, brandished a gun and demanded money...
    Yet again; The Hyena Rule.

Don't put yourself for no good reason in places (convenience stores and rear alleys) at times (after sunset) where and when it's well known that predator beasts of all manner tend to predate.
    Because predator beasts will and do have n issue with eating their prey, alive or dead.

- Marlon Perkins
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

While that is a wise rule, there seem to be those who, upon being confronted by such situations are able to morph into something unexpected and more sinister, to the chagrin of the Hyena.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Life and living lessons by proxy...

Yet again; The Hyena Rule.

Don't put yourself for no good reason in places (convenience stores and rear alleys) at times (after sunset) where and when it's well known that predator beasts of all manner tend to predate.
    Because predator beasts will and do have n issue with eating their prey, alive or dead.

- Marlon Perkins
    no duh. Alot of these type of articles are in places and times of such question....I can't help but wonder. I know I wouldn't. no matter for cola, or whatever.....just boggles me mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    While that is a wise rule, there seem to be those who, upon being confronted by such situations are able to morph into something unexpected and more sinister, to the chagrin of the Hyena.
    Every once in a blue moon the Hyena takes on a Water Buffalo or Lion, and loses.
    That though is not the rule but rather the exception...Thanks to individual refusal to go down, and most often a fair amount of situational luck and good fortune.

But not even Jimmy The Greek would take odds on a win for this woman much less most who find them self in similar situations, as are often reported here _daily_.

So stay out of hyena territory and known preferred hunting grounds, especially when one is known to be walking among the jungle.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    no duh. Alot of these type of articles are in places and times of such question....I can't help but wonder. I know I wouldn't. no matter for cola, or whatever.....just boggles me mind.
    Yup.

Yesterday I was in the mood for a beer.
    I don't normally drink and as such I generally don't keep a stock of alcohol at home aside from when I expect guests to come over.
    But last night at just after 11P per my microwaves clock I suddenly had an urge for a beer.
    Then my next immediate thought; It's nearly midnight...It can wait until tomorrow.

FFWD to today...I've been on the road most of the day in off-site meetings and have driven past multiple supply stores.
    I totally forgot about wanting a beer, last night, until returning to my office this afternoon and seeing this thread.

Ain't nothing sold at any 'convenience' store that is worth my life or health.
    If it's there at midnight...It'll be there at noon too. IMHO.

- Janq

3D
    Granted she broke 'the hyena rule'. But I have to give her credit for the outcome, not that I endorse her shopping habits. I guess she knew enough about the firearm to make it 'work'. You never know what might come out of a person when they're attacked.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Agreed 3D.

She does in deed get great credit for 1) Surviving at all as well as 2) Neutralizing the threat and 3) Further being able to remain calm & composed to maintain watch over the attacker as she called for the cavalry to respond to then 4) Also be able to recover the property taken from her.

Some, here, would even add that 5) She gets double credit for having killed rather than wounded her attacker, thus preventing him from becoming one among many other recidivists walking our streets. This though in itself is an item of debate and discussion on it's own.

So she did at least four things right, if not five.
    But...If only she had done a single thing correctly; Either A) Not choose to shop at that time (!) or B) Not chose that route of departure...Then all of the above would be moot with no story to tell.
    And...She would not be a twenty year old who for the remainder of her life (possibly three times as long as she's lived currently!) will have this very negative experience etched into her brain and long term memory.
    She killed a human being. Yes it was for defense of self, and that is moral and lawful. But still this is a cross she'll now have to bear from here to eternity.

For what?
    Some knicknack from a corner convenience store that was not critical to her life and living; Which she very nearly could have been herself killed for...Or even possibly worst left to live with following say a rape among other painful physical and mental assault & abuse.

Not worth the stretch, to my eye and mind...Nor worth the survival win either.

Life and living lessons that we, the rest of us, can look to for lessons and learning.
    Lessons and learning that now this poor woman at the dawn of her life has learned the very hard, painful and mentally frightening way.

- Janq

We seem to be in the mood of metaphoric discussion.

While the lion may not intentionally walk into a pack of hyenas, neither does he alter his liefstyle because of them.

I believe that to assume that this experience will leave this woman with any particular level of mental discomfort for the rest of her life, while entirely possible and maybe even probable, is not at all absolute. It is no different than the original situation. While odds may suggest one thing, they are only odds and only suggestive of an outcome. Depending on the personality and beliefs of the individual along with their acceptance of the necessity and justification of their actions, some people have no long term ill effects from such incidents.

The lion does not alter it's lifestyle...

Because the life that the lion knows is inclusive in whole to the rules of the jungle knowing that there are hyena, and water buffalo who can and will kill in defense, who are among it's world and as such it the lion must also take wise care to know when, where and to what degree it can go among it's travels.
    There is no alteration because this is it's life as it's known it and live it start to finish.

Walking around in alley ways period, muchless after dark being a lone woman never mind a young and thus odds are great(er) weak(er) and/or physically attractive woman...Is just a common sense life & living no brainer item.
    No alteration required, for folk who know by life & living experience that doing such things can and in locations often does in turn result in itself unfortunate alteration of ones lifestyle.

Yes some people do have no long term effects, as they might report or under report (i.e. not choosing to seek counseling).
    But speaking to majoritys and norms rather than minoritys and the odd; Most human beings do not feel well about taking human life nor forget the instance/situation.

As to absolutes; The only absolute in this life is that there are no absolutes.
    Any who believes otherwise hasn't been living long enough.

- Janq

In the instance in question I will agree that we are most likely talking about a zebra who had a brief transformation to a leopard, rather than a lifelong lion. Thus in her case, her choice of travel and route was unwise to the extreme.

Agreed, very much so.

I feel awful for her even as she did ultimately survive.

- Janq

3D
    For all I know she may feel proud and empowered. Better for me to not project any interpretation of what feelings the woman may experience now or in her future.

As for life lessons (as another member posted here recently)________Life is the only teacher I know who kills all her students.

[not being a lion I will deliberately avoid hyenas and other obviously dangerous people, places and situations.]
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i dont know how many of you guys have spent any amount of time in the city but the occupants of the ciity live by different rules than most from the burbs do...they think less of taking a late night stroll or making a convenience store purchase late at night...they know the risk but live with it daily as a part of their culture...i can rememeber hanging out in the park at night with the hookers wandering by and striking up conversations then strolling down the street to an apartment without thinking twice about the danger...just being aware it is present....

the number of metaphors notwithstanding i am guessing the woman who achieved this victory was a bit more street smart than anyone is giving her credit for...she was caught in a bad situation...saw an opportunity and turned it around...call it luck if you will but the facts are she did it...and had the capability to do so...not that that forgives the fact that she put herself in that situation...but it does bring some clarity to her mindset...

Links