Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED) - Page 2

Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I believe that such a comment is a disservice to the lady. As I perceive it, she, within her knowledge, capabilities and available resources made ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I believe that such a comment is a disservice to the lady. As I perceive it, she, within her knowledge, capabilities and available resources made what she felt was the best possible move to stop the potential carnage that appeared in the making.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I believe that such a comment is a disservice to the lady. As I perceive it, she, within her knowledge, capabilities and available resources made what she felt was the best possible move to stop the potential carnage that appeared in the making.
    ...yet, she was in adequate to stop/prevent/dissuade the BG from doing bad things. People need to get over that guns are not bad....people are bad. Guns in the hands of good people are a good thing.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Very true, but I think the fault lies in the knowledge and acceptance in her mind, not the valor in her heart.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

A few hours ago in Florida....

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/14/...ing/index.html

Not sure if this has been posted yet, or if this is even the right place to post it. Mods can delete/move as necessary. I'm not sure what Florida's CCW laws are, though I wouldn't be surprised if the board was on school property or was considered "school grounds" or another similar type of restricted area.

The idiot...er....woman....with the purse would have had a great shot if she'd been carrying.

They are extremely lucky that he apparently did not want to harm any innocent people,or it would have been a massacre,I guess when the only defense you have is your mouth you will try to use rational speech even when dealing with an irrational individual.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm surprised at how calm the super was while talking to the shooter. Armed or not, I don't think I would be nearly as calm with someone waving a pistol around like that with obvious malicious intent.

That gal was brave, but she's really lucky he didn't shoot her while she was down. It looked like he thought about it.

Thank God he missed everyone he was shooting at - which brings up the thought: I wonder if he intentionally missed?

WOW that is nuts. I am shocked the lady with the purse did that.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

VIP Member
    Another argument against unarmed victim zones. I agree that the security guy should be replaced. The Super was clearly making time for help to arrive - why does the SWAT team always seem to get there right after the action is over?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Florida schools are free fire zones for the gomers. No firearms carried on school property. This clown has (had) a long record of violence and could not have been carrying legally anywhere.
    If armed citizens had been welcome at the meeting, things wouldn't have gotten as far as they did.
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    ...Elapsed time from start to finish ~ Two (2) minutes.
    2 edited minutes.

Poses the question;

You are in the meeting as it plays out on the video. You leave as instructed, and being the dutiful law abiding citizen, you had left your weapon in your car.

Do you go retrieve the weapon and return, or wait for the professionals to eventually arrive (no doubt 911 was flooded with calls)?

How long do you wait for the professionals to arrive before you say, " This is BS, someone's gotta' do something now."
    Last edited by Sticks; December 15th, 2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Caffeine induced typos.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Unbelievable. I can't figure out why the people remaining in the room were being argumentative with the guy. If you don't have a means of defense, try to keep the guy calm until police arrive, don't aggitate him even more. The lady trying to smack his hand with the purse was increadibly brave...but equally stupid. These kinds of events are becoming too frequent.

These folks are so fortunate that he was either a terrible shot or really didn't want to hit them. Most of these situations don't end with no one else getting hurt.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

GM
    I cannot believe that the lady hit him with the purse; that was very foolish. One thing is to be brave, other different is to be a moron.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    I hear you, but I would sure hate to be the one holding the gun when the cops get there. I think I would be trying to get the hired gun to take out the guy. Presumably the cops are aware of him and his gun.

This is, however, a good argument for a law change to allow carry by licensed citizens or, at the very least, the board members.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I hear you, but I would sure hate to be the one holding the gun when the cops get there. I think I would be trying to get the hired gun to take out the guy. Presumably the cops are aware of him and his gun.

This is, however, a good argument for a law change to allow carry by licensed citizens or, at the very least, the board members.
    - What is good for the goose is good for the gander. No special treatment.

If I were in that type of situation, well any situation where I had to end a threat, my gun is back in my holster as there is no longer any need for it. Any responding LEOs are going to find me with nothing in my hands and very, very compliant.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links