Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED) - Page 3

Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The whole video clip was strange... but that woman with the purse...that was just crazy. I think she was more nutty than the gunman. Glad ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED)

The whole video clip was strange... but that woman with the purse...that was just crazy.
    I think she was more nutty than the gunman.
    Glad to hear that only the BG was killed.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I've only seen the edited version that pauses the video but allows the audio to continue. It seems to be his 2nd shot, which he fired into the floor, was an accidental discharge. Lucky for everyone there he was a terrible shot.
    Props to the security officer who took him out before he was able to do any real damage...except to himself in the end.

I'm sorry, but IMHO I think the lady with the purse was simply delusional.
    Maybe it's all the TV programs that show 100lb women going hand to hand...and beating the daylights out of 225lb BGs... (e.g. Chase)
    ...but unless she was trying to save a family member in there, she was as suicidal as the BG.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

The woman with the purse had been released by the gunman and then returns to attack him with a purse? There's a fine line between brave and stupid. She crossed that line. She would have been better served by calling 911.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    - What is good for the goose is good for the gander. No special treatment.

If I were in that type of situation, well any situation where I had to end a threat, my gun is back in my holster as there is no longer any need for it. Any responding LEOs are going to find me with nothing in my hands and very, very compliant.
    Yeah, but you still have the armed ex-cop security guard in the room. I would coordinate with him first on the off chance he might get in the action and take you out.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I'm sorry, but IMHO I think the lady with the purse was simply delusional.
    Maybe it's all the TV programs that show 100lb women going hand to hand...and beating the daylights out of 225lb BGs... (e.g. Chase)
    ...but unless she was trying to save a family member in there, she was as suicidal as the BG.
    At least she had the guts and tried to do something. Admittedly, it was ill-conceived and poorly executed, but nobody else did anything including the armed security guard.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Notably school 'security' does not actually respond to do anything until _after_ the gunman began shooting at people.
    He happened to miss (!) with all six or so shots and everyone but the gunman survived, but that is no thanks to any action... made by the schools so called 'security'.

Elapsed time from start to finish ~ Two (2) minutes.

The lady, 'Ginger', who sneaks up on the guy from behind so as to bounce her purse off his arm...WOW!
    Skinny older lady with purse vs. Fat not as old male with a gun = Not Gonna Work

Had _any_ one of those some 15+ people originally in that room been allowed to carry as private citizens...And that person had been trained in defensive use of a firearm, the story could/would have been very different in end result...Without involving a two minute hold nor waiting on the gunman to initiate action.

Reason #1,340,961 why when I attend public meetings including open and closed door discussions with town council, I always do and will carry.
    Even as I know that the police, Chief of Police (he doesn't choose to carry out of street uniform) and even the Chief of Police from regional colleges might be there too.

My view:
    Yeah...And...So...Great for them...What about me, and MY family needing & wanting me to return home.

Anytime, anyone, anywhere.

- Janq
    Not an option here - such meetings are prohibited places for CWFL holders to carry in Florida.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    One never knows for sure how one will react until put into that situation. I admire the woman for her attempt, foolish or not. Acts of bravery are not performed for the individual, always on behalf of someone else.

I'm not convinced the guy intended to kill anyone except himself. But no one knows that answer except him.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If you don't have a means of defense...
    What do you mean they didn't have a means of defense, the lady had a purse, and the other guys were armed with pens and binders to defend themselves. Those were her own words.
    They were all lucky he was a horrible shot.

I have to say it was very brave, and equally stupid, of the lady to attack the gunman with a purse. I also don't understand her argument that the other guys had "pens and binders to defend themselves with".
    I think there are gun free school zones in FL, but I guess the gunman didn't know that....
    I am glad it ended well for most of them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    I also don't understand her argument that the other guys had "pens and binders to defend themselves with".
    Possibly she was refering to the quote "the pen is mighter than the sword" or maybe she really thinks binders will stop bullets. Who knows?

Wait a second here, I thought Florida's schools are no gun zones....via FEDERAL LAW. SO, how is this guy able to have a gun in the meeting in a SCHOOL.....oh, wait..errhm, nevermind......

please refer to janq's sig, first line.

[sarcasm]
    ...but wait... I don't understand... wasn't he in a gun free zone? I mean isn't that what the signs are for? We better make some more laws to make sure that nobody can get guns! ...and that security guard should be sent to jail for carrying a gun in a school! How dare he!! They should have just waited for the police to take care of it.
    [/sarcasm]
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    What kind of gun did he have? It looks like a full sized DA/SA and he got squirrely on that second shot, it looks like it was an accidental discharge that hit the floor.
    I agree, I can see the hammer go back on the first DA shot, I'd say the second shot was caused from the tension of this event (finger on trigger) and it went off in SA mode. On that first shot he has a pretty exaggerated recoil follow-up too.

Lot of lucky people that day.

Three things come to mind again:
    1. Nut cases like this walk among us, it's hard to feel 100% all the time.
    2. So much for gun-free safety zones.
    3. Getting caught up and being killed as an innocent bystander during a vendetta situation like this. AKA, being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    horrible incident
    another case of gun free zone NOT WORKING!!!!!!!

as for the lady with the purse....at least she acted in an attempt to deal with the threat with what she had at hand, I wish it had been a 9mm to his face but you have to use whatever you have at hand
    as for the people on here blasting her saying she was stupid/suicidal/etc.....is that because she didn't have a gun or because she tried to do something about it ?
    I say she had more cajones than anyone else in there, if they had all charged him when he got hit and DISTRACTED with the purse he would have been pummeled

I for one could not have just sat that/stood there while the guy was popping off rounds everywhere, shots have been fired, you HAVE to see this for what it is....a homicidal maniac that is actively threatening your and everyone's lives and you have to stop him as soon as possible with whatever possible...not wait for LEO to arrive (or in this case security)

If that call goes out LEOs will be flying to the scene but in the meantime you shouldn't just sit there on your hands if the opportunity arises to take action

I applaud the lady's action and I applaud the security guy finally taking him down but he should have been taken down one way or another a lot sooner
    Its almost painful to watch a homicidal person just roaming around popping off shots. Its the same way I feel when I respond to calls where the caller is scared/etc and in the back of my mind I'm wishing they had the means and fortitude to take care of the problem when its happening instead of just waiting on us to arrive on scene.

stay vigilant, stay armed, always look for the opportunity to take advantage of and do what needs to be done with whatever is available
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links