Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 64zebra horrible incident another case of gun free zone NOT WORKING!!!!!!! as for the lady with the purse....at least she acted in ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED)

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    horrible incident
    another case of gun free zone NOT WORKING!!!!!!!

as for the lady with the purse....at least she acted in an attempt to deal with the threat with what she had at hand, I wish it had been a 9mm to his face but you have to use whatever you have at hand
    as for the people on here blasting her saying she was stupid/suicidal/etc.....is that because she didn't have a gun or because she tried to do something about it ?
    I say she had more cajones than anyone else in there, if they had all charged him when he got hit and DISTRACTED with the purse he would have been pummeled

I for one could not have just sat that/stood there while the guy was popping off rounds everywhere, shots have been fired, you HAVE to see this for what it is....a homicidal maniac that is actively threatening your and everyone's lives and you have to stop him as soon as possible with whatever possible...not wait for LEO to arrive (or in this case security)

If that call goes out LEOs will be flying to the scene but in the meantime you shouldn't just sit there on your hands if the opportunity arises to take action

I applaud the lady's action and I applaud the security guy finally taking him down but he should have been taken down one way or another a lot sooner
    Its almost painful to watch a homicidal person just roaming around popping off shots. Its the same way I feel when I respond to calls where the caller is scared/etc and in the back of my mind I'm wishing they had the means and fortitude to take care of the problem when its happening instead of just waiting on us to arrive on scene.

stay vigilant, stay armed, always look for the opportunity to take advantage of and do what needs to be done with whatever is available
    I'll quote this so to be read a gain. +1

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    That lady is a ******* for doing that stupid move :/
    What that lady had, which no one else in the room had was the intestinal fortitude to take action when she had no lethal weapon of her own!

The woman wasn't trained, had very limited skills, no tactical training... But she had guts!

She interrupted his actions to a point, which may have saved lives. When she made her move, no one made a move to assist her! Several able bodied males remained paralyzed and glued to their chairs.

The action the woman took wasn't stupid! It was a selfless act of courage! She lacked skill, tactics and training... What she didn't lack was guts! She was not a sheep! The rest of them were content to remain sheep.

I'd have a woman like that on my side any day of the week! A person like that, in a time of crisis can be guided and instructed on what to do as the crisis unfolds. Those who just sat there and watched as their co-worker risked her life to save them and were unwilling to respond, would be of no use on my team. I'd rather have one "Ginger with a purse", than 5 sheep.

That woman, has nothing to be ashamed of. I do see a few men who maybe should be a little more low keyed at their press conferences and interviews.

Edit: I posted this response after only reading the first 15 posts! +1 64zebra! We both seem to be on the same page on this one!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

you know..I'm kinda disgusted.

All this talk about training, being proficient with SD, skills on gun control, etc, etc.

Then I hear "the woman is stupid", "bad, bad move" etc.etc. Then say they would just have been a good witness.

I'm REALLY starting to wonder about the credibility and other things I hear preached on this forum from some "advocate" members in the action of resolve and SD, sheepdog claims etc.etc.

Props to the woman...she is a Sheep dog, incase some have forgotten what sheep dog really means.

So you want one of those old guys to stand up out of a chair, hurdle a tall desk/bench, and charge a bigger male WITH A GUN when nobody else had a weapon? That would be suicide. You are literally forcing that guy to shoot you. There's balls, and there is STUPID. Their best play was to wait for the cavalry.

VIP Member
    'Very disturbing video.

Unfortunately, that kind of guy often shows up at our monthly county council meeting. The profile is the same, sans gun (so far). All the while, I sit there studying the angles and wishing that I wasn't unarmed. An armed LEO is sometimes there and sometimes not. It's a matter of time before this happens here.

It is interesting to see how people's brains shut down under stress.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    That lady is a ******* for doing that stupid move :/
    Tactically it was a stupid move, Never bring a pocketbook to a gun fight, but i applaud her for her bravery and her ability to take action. My real concern is, if she did by chance knock the weapon out of his hand, the people sitting on the board don't look like they would of took action, the gunman probably would of push her to ground and pick the weapon up.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    "I'm not convinced the guy intended to kill anyone except himself. But no one knows that answer except him. "

I agree with OldVet. If you look, almost imperceptible, but I think he shifts aim to the right just before shooting and then intentionally shoots into the ground. He intentionally delayed the shooting so the cops could get there. He didn't shoot the woman who attacked him, and he only shot at the one guy and then waited. He could have gone down the line shooting at multiple people. Plus, the school district says they can't find any record of his wife working for them. This guy might have just been crazy.

I think this was just suicide by "cop" and a desire to cause terror.
    Walk softly ...

I noted the positive nature of my thoughts on her actions in posts 16 & 18.
    Does the outcome of an action determine the bravery of the action? I think not.
    A person who jumps in front of another person to take a bullet meant for the other person. They move too early or too late, so their actions do not have the desired effect. While this may reveal their lack of timing, it in no way detracts from their intent nor the valor of their action.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I think everyone is missing the real threat - a lady with a purse. Obviously, purses are a dangerous weapon and should be banned.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

You are absolutely correct Guantes! Sorry I didn't credit your posts, buddy. (My oversight, for sure) Your insight is spot on, as usual. I also knew your perception was going to be exactly along those lines.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n,
    Certainly no big deal on the oversight. The reason I reposted is that I saw an interview with the woman this morning and it confirmed for me the courageous nature of her intent and actions, regardless of their lack of success.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

TCT
    I am not sure if I would be too critical of anyone in that video.

The big question for me is; What would I really do in a situation like that.

My answer is; Even with training, I don't know. I have never been put to the test.

Of course we can all play armchair warrior but has anyone on this thread ever been in a situation similar?

If so, what was going through your mind? What did you end up doing? Did you regret it or was it the best choice/outcome?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    This is, however, a good argument for a law change to allow carry by licensed citizens or, at the very least, the board members.
    What we're gonna get is the usual knee-jerk reaction.

"Tougher gun laws would've prevented this!"

No one out there will even consider what we all take for granted, that criminals ignore laws.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    [sarcasm]
    ...but wait... I don't understand... wasn't he in a gun free zone? I mean isn't that what the signs are for? We better make some more laws to make sure that nobody can get guns! ...and that security guard should be sent to jail for carrying a gun in a school! How dare he!! They should have just waited for the police to take care of it.
    [/sarcasm]
    ^This.

cj
    Well, now I don't know where I saw the video, but I just watched one with some post-shooting dialog along the lines of "Mike, they're not real I don't think...he had caps, Mike." Anyone else run across that?

Oops, checked browsing history: Dialog in video here

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links