Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (MERGED) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/14/...ex.html?hpt=T1...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting (With Video)

A live video feed captured a horrifying confrontation between school officials and an armed gunman who opened fire during a school board meeting in Panama City, Florida, Tuesday. The gunman was wounded and subsequently took his own life, authorities said.

The suspect, identified as Clay Duke, 56, of Bay County, Florida, spray-painted a wall and then opened fire on the superintendent and school board members during the meeting, authorities said.

The gunman apparently missed each person he fired on, even though he was at close range, said Lee Stafford, director of student services of Bay District Schools.

Full Story and Video:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/14/...ex.html?hpt=T1
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I'm sure that the anti's will be all over this nut job story! Why do the flies keep landing in the champaigne?
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

A red circle with "V". He thought that the school board was Visitors. It appeared that he intentionally missed those he was shooting at.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

"I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Crazy video. Unreal.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    That sounds like the "V for Vendetta" symbol.

Too bad schools or any function involving schools are "NO CARRY ZONES", otherwise they might have been able to defend themselves!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Notably school 'security' does not actually respond to do anything until _after_ the gunman began shooting at people.
    He happened to miss (!) with all six or so shots and everyone but the gunman survived, but that is no thanks to any action... made by the schools so called 'security'.

Elapsed time from start to finish ~ Two (2) minutes.

The lady, 'Ginger', who sneaks up on the guy from behind so as to bounce her purse off his arm...WOW!
    Skinny older lady with purse vs. Fat not as old male with a gun = Not Gonna Work

Had _any_ one of those some 15+ people originally in that room been allowed to carry as private citizens...And that person had been trained in defensive use of a firearm, the story could/would have been very different in end result...Without involving a two minute hold nor waiting on the gunman to initiate action.

Reason #1,340,961 why when I attend public meetings including open and closed door discussions with town council, I always do and will carry.
    Even as I know that the police, Chief of Police (he doesn't choose to carry out of street uniform) and even the Chief of Police from regional colleges might be there too.

My view:
    Yeah...And...So...Great for them...What about me, and MY family needing & wanting me to return home.

Anytime, anyone, anywhere.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

1000 opportunities to take that guy out. Most of the time, he stood there with his gun relaxed at his side. They all just sit there talking to him, waiting for him to get mad enough to pull the trigger which he finally did. The only man there was a lady who struck him with her purse. I guess that's the civilized way to die; let evil triumph so that you can go to your grave knowing full well that you did the right thing by laying down and dying, almost willfully.

I just can't understand that.

Warning this is violent and not edited, but it is a real situation.

I know lance.

The 'security' guy who is reported to be a retired police, he should have given his gun to her (Ginger) and then let her get the job done old school sneaky Pete style.
    I mean hell she literally walked right up to dude and he never realized she was there until _after_ her purse impacted his gun arm.
    Had she a gun in one hand and that purse for distraction in her other, even with a .380 ACP running Hornady Critical Defense ammo at that distance she'd have been quite effective.

IMHO it's outrageous that the school security person allowed this to continue as long as he did considering he had very many opportunities to neutralize the threat without concern for a sympathetic reaction shot...As his gun was down by his side.
    This though is a very good example why folk gotta think beyond carrying tiny 'pocket' guns with short sight radius making it terribly difficult to manage fine accuracy over even moderate distances...AND...Running minimal power level cartridges that against a guy built like this seal would not be especially functional thanks singularly to all the natural soft armor (!) as fat that he is wearing. Never mind the clothing too, whihc people constantly focus on as though humans are clothing over top of organs alone.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member
    What kind of gun did he have? It looks like a full sized DA/SA and he got squirrely on that second shot, it looks like it was an accidental discharge that hit the floor.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    That is an incredible video. I sometimes feel like carrying is too much trouble, but that video really reenforces why I do.

It is amazing how worked up people get about stupid things. School boards, jobs, parking tickets...? Is it really worth dying over your stupid boss?

Sadly, my school board meets in the school library, on the campus of an elementary school, one of the few places carrying is illegal in my state.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    That lady is a ******* for doing that stupid move :/
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links