Passer-by helps break-up assault on cop (Ohio)

This is a discussion on Passer-by helps break-up assault on cop (Ohio) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by WDTN Channel 2: Passer-by helps break-up assault on cop Updated: Tuesday, 14 Dec 2010, 4:14 PM EST Published : Monday, 13 Dec ...

Thread: Passer-by helps break-up assault on cop (Ohio)

Thumbs up Passer-by helps break-up assault on cop (Ohio)

As reported by WDTN Channel 2:

Passer-by helps break-up assault on cop

Updated: Tuesday, 14 Dec 2010, 4:14 PM EST
    Published : Monday, 13 Dec 2010, 3:15 PM EST

* Megan O'Rourke

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) - A police cruiser cam caught an officer under attack getting help from an unlikely partner. One who might have prevented what could have been a deadly traffic stop.

The video is from Dayton Police Officer Jonathan Seiter's cruiser Dec. 11 around 10:45 p.m. Investigators said he stopped a car because of a missing headlight, but the driver was uncooperative and Seiter asked him to step out.

The driver, 64-year-old, Otto Coleman shoved Seiter and a full fight ensues. Several times during the nearly five minute long encounter, the camera catches Coleman reaching for Officer Seiter's gun and taser.

Back-up was on the way, but as it turned out, a good samaritan was the first on scene when a woman, who police have not identified, ran up and started hitting the suspect, allowing Seiter to regain control and take Coleman to the ground.

"This young lady did come to his aid," said Sgt. Larry Tolpin. "I think it was very commendable, though, don't get me wrong, I'm not endorsing the citizens participating, but under this particular circumstance it was very commendable of her."..

The full report w/graphic dash cam video can be found at: http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/passer-...assault-on-cop

- Janq

Note:
    Although this man was 64 yrs. old and relatively light framed, he clearly was more than a handful for this much younger officer to handle as in hand to hand grapple.

I post this here rather than the LEO/MIL area because for us as civilians in relation to carry, I don't know how many times I have been told by a person IRL or as in type at a forum the old saw of 'A real man goes hand to hand...And doesn't need a gun/knife/OC.'
    To that I have said and with this latest item will continue to say; Yeah well good luck with that, in the real world.

This easily could have been a civilian in the streets defending himself against a robber or a carjacker or a rapist or simply some nut bag who decides that he/she just doesn't like that you are sharing the same air space as them....And they want the gun that they by some manner know (open carry) or discovered (concealed carry) that you have on your person.
    Now what?
    Weapon retention, self defense against contact hits AND effort to either escape or to go on the offensive to break this fools will (!) to continue the fight...As all at the same time. Work.
    : |
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I think this would make a good training film. It looked to me as if the younger officer was not concerned at first. (Look at his approach, stance and mannerisms.) I think the young cop underestimated the danger dealing with an older guy.

It also serves as a reminder to stay brushed up on your hth skills. (You never know when you may need them.)

awesome job by that civilian.

the cop threw some nice punches near the end too, lol. the perp did alot of hugging which gave the officer a tough time as you can see. its a shame the officer allowed the perp to get ahold of him like that and i cant imagine what could have happend if no one was there to help. glad they were able to overtake him though.
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

Thumbs up

Once the citizen comes to the officers aid he is able to step back and get some good hits in that stun the suspect enough for the officer to gain control. Sometimes in the heat of battle we forget that it is OK to disengage and utilize the tools we have on our belt to help us. The gun grab attempts by the suspect showed the problems that can occure when we are up close and personal. A knee to the testicles was an option that was open to the officer early on but he did not take advantage of it as were some other close quarters tactics. I am glad the good samaritan was there and that all turned out well for the officer. We can all learn from this encounter
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The woman had balls.
    Good for her.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member
    Good for that woman for helping out an officer in need.

Based on how that guy was dressed and acted I would never of guessed him to be 64 from the dash cam video.

mkh
    Kudos to the lady that got involved.

What bothered me is all of the cars that slowed down but kept on going. How could someone not try to assist the officer in a fight like this?

Congrats to this lady with some guts.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Probably about the longest two minutes of that officer's life.

Bear in mind, I am not a police officer, nor have I ever been, but the officer's demeanor and presence seemed a lot more complacent to me than usual (I'm going of the videos of traffic stops I have seen), it didn't look to me like he was presenting himself as a "hard target." Traffic stops are one of the most dangerous parts of an officer's job, especially on their own, at night.

Good on the civilian stepping in, she wasn't throwing any K.O. shots, but provided enough of a distraction for him to gain control right before that Statie comes on screen and takes the suspect down.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The woman.
    Kudos for her willingness and her actions.

The officer.
    Had no command presence.
    He wanted to be the perps buddy rather than an officer.
    Was more interested in the headlight than the potential threat that the perp, who is a previous felonious assaulter of cops, represented.
    Crappy tactics. He seemed more interested in wrestling than ending the confrontation.

The Sgt.
    Espousing the party line, although I understand his position.
    I doubt the officer involved would agree with the idea that citizens should not get involved.

Bring back saps.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Good on the lady for helping.

I have to agree with the lack of command presence and the longest two minutes.

Many years ago as part of a DOC TACT team, we had to go "all out" on a bag for 5 minutes. We ALL thought we were going to die, and there wasn't any danger. I can only imagine what was going on in this Officers mind.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

64 years old with a sheet a mile long and fighting a police officer over a traffic stop, The good samaritan did just enough for him to start landing some punches to get control. I'd say a wood shampoo is in order ? hope He got one. "If you want to fight the police then your gonna fight the police equipment",
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Sorry but that cop was fixin' to get his but kicked until that woman came along. Remedial training is in order.

Her name was Ginger... She carries a purse, and she really gets around.

Okay, all kidding aside, I saw that video today on FNC and I must say, it's heartwarming to see a couple recent examples of people stepping up and doing the right thing.

I know I am often preaching the "be a good witness" thing a lot. However, in a vast majority of situations it really is probably the best course of action. I don't say that because it's the safe course of action... I say it because liability wise, it is often the best course of action.

However, I do advocate intervening when it's obvious to do so. I have intervened myself on more than one occasion in potentially deadly situations. And each time I acted was when I was otherwise unarmed.

This woman, like the school board member in Florida were definitely courageous women who deserve recognition.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links