Security officer talks about the events around the shooting at the FL school board - Page 2

Security officer talks about the events around the shooting at the FL school board

This is a discussion on Security officer talks about the events around the shooting at the FL school board within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yep Guantes...And if that turns out to be the case then well there is even more ridiculousness in lack of proper professional judgment both by ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security officer talks about the events around the shooting at the FL school board

Yep Guantes...And if that turns out to be the case then well there is even more ridiculousness in lack of proper professional judgment both by his employers (school board!) and himself being that he is their 'Director of Security'.

As mentioned by another member at the original thread; With respect an no malicious intent...Mr. Jones should choose to shrink form the lime light and quietly retire.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

We all know there is security officers and then there is window dressing. It is becoming more and more apparent that this security position was to be no more than window dressing.

And while I'm sure to get pounced on for this, but I'm not all that surprised. As a rule, most school administrations are very anti-gun liberals who abhor the mere mention of the word gun.

The problem far left leaning liberals don't get is that, when they put someone out there as merely window dressing, they are doing everyone a disservice.

The guard in this case may have had a job description/job responsibility of being no more than window dressing, but when an incident happens, often times tragedy ensues. The people responsible for overseeing the duties of this security position may very well have been delusional regarding what was going to happen when the balloon goes up.

The only reason there wasn't slaughter house of dead sheep was the fact that the gunman's heart wasn't really into it. The rest of the story was just dumb luck.

There was one hero in this situation. A lone woman who selflessly acted against an armed nut while not possessing a lethal weapon of her own. And the sheep, (her colleagues) let her down and failed miserably. They should have been dog piling on the man when she made her selfless move against an armed attacker to help subdue their potential killer. (But that is why they are labeled with the name of sheep. Because sheep are incapable of being anything else).

The security guard attempted to do what he was hired for. But being mere window dressing, he did about the best as could be expected. But certainly nothing heroic. IMHO.

This may sound a little harsh, but life is harsh, unfair, and often times, unforgiving. I saw a lot of delusional, frightened sheep. And one lone woman who stood up and was counted.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sounds pretty spot on to me.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Ditto Guantes.

Next time some fool comments to the negative about carry because we can just rely on 'security' and police to save the day; I'll reference them back to this incident as well as Jeanne Assam, who was a real & professional acting 'security' person and hero.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'm with Bark'n on this ! As I watched the video of the woman with the purse, I couldn't believe not one of the men made a move to gang tackle the perp. Every person in that room was lucky that the perp's heart wasn't in it or there would have been several shot. Is the security guard a hero? Not in my eyes. If he was doing his job the perp would have been taken out when he pulled out his gun.

I am still dumbfounded by the "MORE AMMO" statement.

Exactly how may rounds do you need to have when engaging a single armed aggressor?

Another troubling item (it may be in one of the myriad of news reports that I did not read). Was the security guard was in uniform or plain clothes, and just happened to be carrying his weapon?

Is the real story he was unarmed at the time and along with "More ammo and vest" he also retrieved his weapon?

I have a hard time grasping the shooter seeing a uniformed and armed security guard and doing nothing/ignoring him when this all started (when the guard entered and asked if it was a real gun).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

"Security" varies quite a bit from one place to another. At my place of employment (which is open to the public coming and going at all times of the day and evening), we have a Director of Security and security guards who patrol 24/7. NONE of them are armed. Employees are prohibited from carrying weapons. Nice and secure huh? The last nut job I had to fire I felt like a duck sitting on a pond just waiting to get it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Is the real story he was unarmed at the time and along with "More ammo and vest" he also retrieved his weapon?
    That'd be my guess. Time will tell and you and I will probably never know. . interesting.." Guard worries about what the community will think and if he will go to jail because he shot the guy in the back". lesson learned here. Shoot.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Guard worries about what the community will think and if he will go to jail because he shot the guy in the back". lesson learned here. Shoot.
    Not everyone is willing to ruin their lives and the lives of their families by going to jail for doing a job. Maybe we need to look at why a good man doing his job is more worried about going to jail for doing whats right than the criminal is for doing whats wrong. Have we put to much of a burden on the good guys? Is society handicapping the good guys by making them carry to much of the responsibility?

Michael

FWIW, if he is not active LEO, by FL law he may not have been able to carry on School Board property. I am not SURE about this, but as I recall the law, even security would not be allowed to be armed. So, the gun in the car MAY have been his only option.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    update

alright this was posted on another forum I am a member on and I thought you guys would like to read it.

OK... I assume folks want to hear the full story on this one. I worked for Panama City Police, I personally know most of the folks involved, and I qualified Mike Jones on two occasions after he retired, so I have followed this story closely.

First, Mike Jones isn't a security guard. He's a retired Panama City police officer and detective. He is currently Chief of the Bay County Schools Department of Public Safety. He's a sworn police officer. On the day of the school board meeting, he was not even supposed to be there and was technically on vacation. Mike wasn't in the room during most of the incident and came into the scenario shortly before the shooting. As far as I know from when I was with him on the firing range, he carried a Glock (it was either a 17 or a 22 - I don't remember which), and I am pretty sure that is what he had with him that day. Mike said he was trying to get the gunman's attention to draw him away from the school board members, but before he could do so, the guy started shooting. When you watch the video, you can see that the shooter was pretty calm during the whole thing and suddenly pointed the gun with no change in his demeanor or voice. Mike was not in the room when the first shots were fired and entered immediately once the guy started shooting. I was told that Mike shot the bad guy 4 times. Once in the leg, once in the arm, and two in the back. The bad guy was armed with a Smith & Wesson 9mm pistol. He had a spare mag in his pocket and a box of 50 rounds in his car (no blanks). Those who said Mike was a "bad shot" and this required the bad guy to "finish the job himself" clearly don't understand that most gunshots are not instantly fatal (there's a reason snipers aim for a specific part of the head and not center mass).

Apparently, the bad guy's ex-wife did work for the Bay County schools and was fired several years ago. At some point, he and his wife had split up and he went to her house wearing a ski mask and was armed with a rifle. As she tried to leave in her car, he shot the tires out of her vehicle. He was arrested and spent 5 years in prison. He was recently released. He has a documented history of mental illness. When officers served a warrant on his home, they found a DVD copy of the movie V for Vendetta and he had drawn the V symbol on that date in his calendar. It appears that he has harbored animosity over his ex-wife's firing and decided to do what he did in response to it. The guy was a nut-job and it's fortunate no innocent people were killed.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Man, that guard was a complete idiot.

To leave the area to go get his vest and more ammo? That was totally selfish on his part.

And then he holds back and fails to shoot until the man opens fire on the school board? The man got off a number of shots. If he had been any sort of a decent marksman, at least 2 people would have died.

And then when the guy is hit and he is down on the floor, he still has his handgun in his hand. He was lucky that the fellow decided to kill himself. What if he had instead continued to shoot further at others?

The guard was right about one thing. He was not a hero. He should have fired much sooner, and continued to fire until the man no longer had the handgun in his hands.

A lot of the reason why this incident had such a good ending was pure luck, combined with the poor shooting skills of the wacko.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links