Security officer talks about the events around the shooting at the FL school board

Security officer talks about the events around the shooting at the FL school board

This is a discussion on Security officer talks about the events around the shooting at the FL school board within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://cnn.com/video/?/video/crime/2...l.shooting.cnn What a strange series of events. So many things were done wrong. Easy to see in hindsight. Not sure I wouldn't have made my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security officer talks about the events around the shooting at the FL school board

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/crime/2...l.shooting.cnn

What a strange series of events. So many things were done wrong. Easy to see in hindsight. Not sure I wouldn't have made my own series of errors in a similar situation.

Lucky.

From what I can piece together here is what happened from the POV of the guard:
    - Guard realizes BG is armed
    - Tries to talk him into leaving the building
    - BG will not leave
    - Guard goes to his car to get his vest and backup ammo
    - Guard peeks in the door at the back of the room
    - Guard sees BG fire first shot
    - Guard thinks the super is shot
    - Guard shoots the BG in the back
    - Guard worries about what the community will think and if he will go to jail because he shot the guy in the back
    - Gunfight continues and ends with BG on the floor not moving
    - Guard is close to BG when BG all of a sudden shoots himself
    - Super comes out from behind the desk
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

That does provide a more comprehensive look at the chain of events.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    This does shed some light on the events. The guard, in my opinion was unprepared and unprofessional. He should have been prepared and brought his tools of the trade to the job with him, not left them in the car. He was unprofessional because he left clearly unarmed personnel in the custody of the armed assailant. He should have dealt with the perp with what he had at hand, which was, presumably a handgun with some ammo in it.

As far as worrying about his image when he is taking out an armed BG who has violated the law by bring a weapon into an unarmed victim zone, I doubt the public would have cared how he stopped the thread so long as he stopped it. I think this one needs to re-retire and let someone with a proper understanding of and commitment to the job take over.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

just so you all know as I said in the other thread, this "guard" was a former police detective

School Board’s Chief of Security and former detective Mike Jones

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    ...The guard, in my opinion was unprepared and unprofessional. He should have been prepared and brought his tools of the trade to the job with him, not left them in the car. He was unprofessional because he left clearly unarmed personnel in the custody of the armed assailant. He should have dealt with the perp with what he had at hand, which was, presumably a handgun with some ammo in it.

As far as worrying about his image when he is taking out an armed BG who has violated the law by bring a weapon into an unarmed victim zone, I doubt the public would have cared how he stopped the thread so long as he stopped it. I think this one needs to re-retire and let someone with a proper understanding of and commitment to the job take over.
    Quoted for E M P H A S I S !!! ^^

This is just ridiculous. Flat out RIDICULOUS.
    I cannot think of any other or better term than that!

In kind this incident and this person representing so called 'security' should prove to be an _excellent_ item of lesson learning and study for us all who think to carry arms for defense; Either as by profession or as civilians.
    Further this incident singular shows an extreme toward what 'security' might mean in reality as related to personnel....And mindset.

Thank goodness no one was injured, physically.
    Had they been with this information there could and likely would be a lawsuit toward wrongful death as on behalf of the 'Security' person and procedures being very much inadequate and flawed.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    just so you all know as I said in the other thread, this "guard" was a former police detective

School Board’s Chief of Security and former detective Mike Jones
    He may be a great guy and may well have done lots of great things for the community over the years. At the meeting in question, he was simply going through the motions. I stand by my prior post that he was unprepared and unprofessional on that night. This could have cost 5 guys their lives, thank God it did not.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Janq is right, he was too busy thinking about what people would think and what kind of trouble he would get in for shooting the guy in the back, when he should have been worried about who was going to sue him for abandoning them and allowing people to get killed when he trotted out to his car!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

While I do not like having to be critical of those in or retired from LE, sometimes I find it necessary. This is one of those times. While the fortunate circumstances of this incident ended without injuries to those other than the perp, the lack of deaths or injuries in the early events of the incident were in no way due to actions of the guard. Eventually he assisted in bringing the incident to a conclusion, aided by the perp. Hero? Depends on your perspective.

Other points I noticed. The guard was only 56 which would indicate to me that he was not of sufficient age, barring infirmities, that it should interfere with handling this incident. He was not prepared, his extra gear was in his vehicle. Another thing that has gotten notice is that he was a detective, as if that provided some particular attributes to handle such incidents. Detectives, detect, investigate, interview witts, flie court papers and warrants, etc. They are generally removed from direct confrontation with violent offenders and if they do attempt such arrests, they are fronted by field (uniformed) personnel who handle the confrontational part of the arrest. The longer they are away from field operations, the less prepared they are to handle violent confrontations. If I were going to hire someone to protect me, it would not be a detective, it would be a seasoned field officer.

Not to mention he wasnt getting paid to risk his life. Most security outfits are observe and report......

One more detail that I heard today is that he was not on duty. He was there for some item of business that was on the agenda.

I would like someone in the media to ask the question, "What would have happened if this guy had not been there with his gun?"
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---

Private security at our courts carries weapons for "show" they have been trained NOT to engage anyone and contact LE to deal with any issues. Crazy huh?

Private security at our courts carries weapons for "show" they have been trained NOT to engage anyone and contact LE to deal with any issues. Crazy huh?
    I can sort of understand how they get there, but that is just seriously messed up.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    One more detail that I heard today is that he was not on duty. He was there for some item of business that was on the agenda.

I would like someone in the media to ask the question, "What would have happened if this guy had not been there with his gun?"
    Okay...So then where was his 'staff' person(s)?

His title is Director of Security...Directors direct people and events.
    So where were his subordinates.
    Oh wait, let me guess...He's the only security on staff, with limited hours and doesn't normally work school board meetings etc. : |

Also I'm very puzzled as to why his vest and ammo would be kept as _stored_ in his vehicle?
    These are items to be kept in his office on employment grounds, for use by the employee when _on the job_.

Consistently the more info that comes out on this the more puzzling huh that makes no sense his specific story becomes.
    Even as he's hailed to be the 'hero'.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I also wondered about his "stuff" being stored in his vehicle and not his office. Then the thought came that he probably does not have an office, possibly not even access to other offices, being only, "security personnel"..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links