"...shooting was not justified.....stripped of his gun and badge."

This is a discussion on "...shooting was not justified.....stripped of his gun and badge." within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is a related piece. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...=obinsite#loop...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "...shooting was not justified.....stripped of his gun and badge."

"I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

Shameful. The fact his own PD called it a bad shoot is telling. Clear abuse of authority and a man is dead b/c of it. I fully realize that police officers have a dangerous job...but if you aren't willing to assume the danger, don't become a cop. Part of what I expect from my police is restraint in uncertain situations. This LEO clearly failed at that. It doesn't take an inquest to figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The officer had every right to have him at gunpoint, no doubt.
    How do you figure that? He was minding his own business. I suppose I should be held at gunpoint the next time I OC

The knife was closed, he was shot in the back, so far everything we're being told is that this wasn't justified and until there is evidence to the contrary, that is my stance. Furthermore, if the officer believed he was such a threat, why didn't he maintain a safe distance?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

well, there is the one where the police arrived & had been told the home owner was holding the intruder at gun point.... Police officer enters and shoots home owner in the back (when he saw the gun) and killed him. The Officer says he yelled "Police ... drop the weapon" and he had turned toward the officer (so ? ) ..... but tapes showed the officer did none of those, just shot him. 1 Homeowner dead. Officer lost his job and sued over negligence. Should have been charged.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

That's terrible. Even worst if the guy was shot in the back.

VIP Member
    It doesn't get much uglier than this, an innocent man killed. It's going to cost the city a ton too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Nobody reads? He was shot in the right side, not the back.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    There you go, letting pesky facts get in the way of speculation. You ought to know better.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    There you go, letting pesky facts get in the way of speculation. You ought to know better.
    If you read my post, he may be referring to the one I mentioned... which the home owner WAS shot in the back.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Negative, see post #25.

ETA: Even the attorney for the family states in post #29 that he was shot in the side.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    This was a bad shoot. I'm glad Birk won't be carrying a badge anymore; there are too many better candidates standing in line waiting to become cops.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    When tazers are a major part of police gear yet are not used to prevent loss of life. This is a prime case IMHO.
    Let me preface this by saying.... in THIS instance, we dont see or know enough to make a decision quite yet (although my initial monday morning quarterback thoughts are this is probably not justified) BUT....IN GENERAL... If a man has a knife, an officer shouldnt rely on a Taser. A knife is a deadly weapon, and a Taser is not. A Taser has a fairly high failure rate. Malfunctions in the cartridge, darts not flying straight, bad connect with 1 or no darts making contact....tons of things can go wrong with a Taser. If a subject has a knife, I have a gun. The Taser has this aura of being a perfect solution to any non-gun situation. It not.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    So? What difference does that make to anything? Back, front, side. What does it matter. The knife was closed; we have the pic of it laying on the ground. The man was just walking down the street minding his own business when the officer aggressively began to follow and shout at him without apparent cause and without identifying himself.

If shot in the front or the side, what value does that info have? It just means the man turned toward the voice of the officer. Nothing more. It isn't probative about whether or not he threatened the officer with the knife.

It is certainly possible that he was shot in the side while turning to run from what was about to happen to him. To make that determination we need a witness. We have a witness. The lady who said he did nothing.

Biker addressed the validity of what the lady said: "I would like to know what qualifies the lady to determine proper, or justified, actions on the part of the officer."

She didn't judge the office. She said only that the dead guy did nothing wrong. She judged the actions of the victim.

Guess what. In the end the justification and the legality are going to be decided by people just like that lady. Ordinary folks on grand juries, ordinary jurors.

It most certainly does make a difference. There is precious little enough information normally available on these incidents, it would seem that at least a reasonable effort should be made so that the information that we disseminate and discuss is accurate.

I don't recall anything in my post stating that it would change the outcome of the incident.

If you don't see the value of accurate information, then I have given you too much credit.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    wasn't the man deaf? I think I saw this story elsewhere. The man that was killed was hearing impaired I'm pretty sure. Anyone else verify this?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links