"...shooting was not justified.....stripped of his gun and badge." - Page 4

"...shooting was not justified.....stripped of his gun and badge."

This is a discussion on "...shooting was not justified.....stripped of his gun and badge." within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm sorry... but this appears to me by all the facts so far presented that this officer illegally killed the victim. There is precious little ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I'm sorry... but this appears to me by all the facts so far presented that this officer illegally killed the victim. There is precious little to actually go on but the facts combined with the circumstantial evidence, IMHO, mean this was a bad shoot and this particular LEO made a huge mistake. A fellow LEO defending his actions based off the evidence (both hard and circumstantial) appears to be somewhat hypocritical.

I do agree that jumping to conclusions and breaking out the lynch ropes, torches, and pitchforks isn't perhaps the right way to go but given what has been presented so far... it's not surprising that the villagers are upset.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Let me preface this by saying.... in THIS instance, we dont see or know enough to make a decision quite yet (although my initial monday morning quarterback thoughts are this is probably not justified) BUT....IN GENERAL... If a man has a knife, an officer shouldnt rely on a Taser. A knife is a deadly weapon, and a Taser is not. A Taser has a fairly high failure rate. Malfunctions in the cartridge, darts not flying straight, bad connect with 1 or no darts making contact....tons of things can go wrong with a Taser. If a subject has a knife, I have a gun. The Taser has this aura of being a perfect solution to any non-gun situation. It not.
    My statement was made on observations from the dash cam video. A cop in his car see's a person walk by with a knife. Person is not irate or violent at this time. A Tazer in the weak hand would'nt be to hard to ditch if the person became violent. His gun hand would still be free and the 21+ feet of wire makes his gun still viable at close range. Yes I do agree if a person with a knife is attacking shooting is the best way to deal with it.

The officer's gun hand was not free. If you look at the video, the police officer had his pistol drawn as he rounded the front of his vehicle. Also, it should be noted that at no time did the officer state that he was being attacked or threatened, he repeatedly justified his actions by saying the subject would not put down his knife. Ten seconds after the patrolman left his car, the subject was dead. Officer Birk is going to need a good lawyer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cam911 View Post
    The officer's gun hand was not free. If you look at the video, the police officer had his pistol drawn as he rounded the front of his vehicle.
    I had noticed that and wondered why in the world the gun was drawn before he even yelled at the guy. There was nothing shown on the dash cam to justify drawing the gun. I sure wonder if there was history and bad blood between those two.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Let's hear what the drivers of the dark colored car that makes the left turn and the white perhaps a Ford pickup have to say. They should of had a front row view. Also maybe the women pedestrian with the white shirt.

Their statements should qualify one way or the other what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I had noticed that and wondered why in the world the gun was drawn before he even yelled at the guy. There was nothing shown on the dash cam to justify drawing the gun. I sure wonder if there was history and bad blood between those two.
    Justification? Man with a knife.

Anybody recall a guy named Tueller?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I hope the WHY this happened comes out. It could help to explain. It we only knew what was in the officers mind when he first decided to react the way he did.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Sorry Gloves, but to the cop-haters here on this forum, you are urinating up a rope.
    They are only cop lovers when it's a group effort, and have no comprehension of what can happen in miliseconds that might justify a shooting. Besides, arguing with libtards and societal rejects gets old.

I'M DONE!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Knowing how far away from me that someone can be, and still be a threat with a blade, I am inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the officer. I suspect that the preliminary finding was such to appease a certain segment of Seattle society.

I hope that the involved officer's actions are ruled justifiable in a more formal setting. Granted this looks bad, but sometimes even good things have no good appearance.

Biker
    Really? Did you watch that video? You honetly think that cop was justified? Are you just playing Devil's Advocate?

Also, what segment of the population are "they" trying to appease? Minorities? Seriosuly?

People who beleive this could be justified, and the pigs who prey on people, those are the reasons why we need to carry guns.

This is a murder, plain and easy to see. The facts that you think anything less, is, IMO, pathetic.

EDIT: Being a liberal, conservative or progressive have nothing to do with this. Throwing the Political Party card has gotten as old and boring as throwing the Race Card. This man could have belonged to the Whig party, and the victim could have been an alien from a planet in the Cat's Eye Nebulae, it is still a murder.

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Really? Did you watch that video? You honetly think that cop was justified? Are you just playing Devil's Advocate?

Also, what segment of the population are "they" trying to appease? Minorities? Seriosuly?

People who beleive this could be justified, and the pigs who prey on people, those are the reasons why we need to carry guns.

This is a murder, plain and easy to see. The facts that you think anything less, is, IMO, pathetic.

EDIT: Being a liberal, conservative or progressive have nothing to do with this. Throwing the Political Party card has gotten as old and boring as throwing the Race Card. This man could have belonged to the Whig party, and the victim could have been an alien from a planet in the Cat's Eye Nebulae, it is still a murder.
    Show me where it's "plain and easy to see"? Are cops still called "pigs"? How open minded.

Quote Originally Posted by cam911 View Post
    The officer's gun hand was not free. If you look at the video, the police officer had his pistol drawn as he rounded the front of his vehicle. Also, it should be noted that at no time did the officer state that he was being attacked or threatened, he repeatedly justified his actions by saying the subject would not put down his knife. Ten seconds after the patrolman left his car, the subject was dead. Officer Birk is going to need a good lawyer.
    Please reread my first post.

Lets try not to use derogatory terms like "pigs". There are more then a few officers on this forum respect them and what they do.

Are cops still called "pigs"? How open minded
    I remember how angry my father used to get when someone called him a COP. He took it as a slur. He said he was a police officer.

Michael

Yup. It does make things difficult. If that is what happened the officer was justified.
    If there was no attack though I would not consider it (Tueller) as an excuse to kill an innocent person.

Michael

I never really cared what they called me as long as they did not touch me.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links