"...shooting was not justified.....stripped of his gun and badge."

This is a discussion on "...shooting was not justified.....stripped of his gun and badge." within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Guantes Slave, Apology accepted. I have never stated that there do not appear to be problems with this incident. I was merely ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: "...shooting was not justified.....stripped of his gun and badge."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Slave,
    Apology accepted. I have never stated that there do not appear to be problems with this incident. I was merely trying to expose all possibilities.

Hopyard,
    I think we have taken this about as far as it can go as far as a discussion. I appreciate your civility throughout.
    Agree, and thank you for the civility as well.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure if everyone understands Tueller drill. Tueller drill in no way discusses a justification for shooting people with knives or clubs within a given space. It is only to illuminate to the officer the danger which exists when someone is within 21 feet and the likelihood of being able to draw and fire in time is unlikely.

It is to instill in officers when dealing with people who are aggressive in their actions while holding a contact or edge weapon that you should be dealing with them at gunpoint and that your gun should not still be holstered if you want any expectation of surviving a surprise attack from the aggressor. No more, no less.

I can't make a judgment on this officers actions as to guilt or innocence because I do not have all the facts a jury would have, nor was I there. I do believe that on face value and what we do have presented, the officer was in a questionable shoot and he should have a good attorney. But I'm not going to call the officer a murderer, nor am I going to call him anywhere near being justified.

Again, until the inquest and/or trial, no one is going to have all the facts. If at the inquest or at trial, there is still not enough facts or evidence to make a determination beyond a reasonable doubt, then the officer should be acquitted. That is the basis of our legal system.

It would be an interesting jury to sit on, no doubt.

And no way would I want to be in the officers shoes during a civil trial where rules of evidence is not as strict in a criminal case and the jury's threshold is merely a preponderance of the evidence and not beyond a reasonable doubt.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by cam911 View Post
    Hi Mikhail

Please re-read my post. I did/do not disagree with anything you posted and I certainly did not refer to anyone as "pig". I am not even saying the officer involved is guilty of a "bad shoot". I merely pointed out that the facts we do have are mitigating against him. He absolutely deserves his day in court. But, I'll say it again, he is going to need a good lawyer if that video is admitted into evidence.
    My derogatory terms post was made to "slave". Sorry for any inconvenience cam911.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Sorry Gloves, but to the cop-haters here on this forum, you are urinating up a rope.
    They are only cop lovers when it's a group effort, and have no comprehension of what can happen in miliseconds that might justify a shooting. Besides, arguing with libtards and societal rejects gets old.

I'M DONE!
    Typical disrespectful snobbery aimed at anyone who dares to have a different opinion than you. Respect is a two way street pal. Learn some and you might be surprised. And I think the average armed citizen knows more than you care to admit. You probably think your bage elevates you to some omnipotent level; it doesn't, just some bad attitude with a badge.

Add me to your ignore list...I'll wear it like a badge of honor.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

"I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Just thought I'd bring this back to the top. The inquest into this incident is in it's third or fourth day. Go to www.king 5.com for a series of articles and videos.

Link goes to a game site.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

U.S. Army Veteran

Someone asked earlier if we were on a jury ....

Based off the transcripts in the articles covering the 3 days I'd have to vote for an indictment at present. Conviction would require more evidence but based off what is there you'd have to think if he's indicted there's no way in hell he decides to risk going to trial. Probably cut a deal with the DA once indicted. It is interesting however that the Departments finding of an unjustified shooting was inadmissible in these proceedings.

Depending on which side your on the blue fraternity's testimony will either be comforting or concerning in this case and is unlikely to change any minds or positions.

VIP Member
    From a previous thread about this guy we already know that he was deaf in one ear and he was shot in the chest. I think this isn't cut and dry. Without video we will never know what really happened.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Yup, and this thread doesnt belong here anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links